thanks haeffnkr

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
This is what is posted at the Lee site about custom collet dies:

Custom Services

March 17, 2021: Due to unprecedented order volume, we have suspended custom services for Collet Necksizing Dies, Full Length Sizing Die Sets, Quick Trim Dies, Case Length Gauges, Factory Crimp Dies and Bullet Molds until we are able to meet the required volume of our standard products. We do have some frequently ordered custom over-runs available in Quick Trim Dies, Case Length Gauges and Factory Crimp dies in their respective categories.

WE WILL POST HERE WHEN THESE SERVICES RESUME. WE ARE NOT ACCEPTING ANY PRE-ORDERS/BACKORDERS AT THIS TIME.

https://leeprecision.com/lee-custom-services/

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
H
Campfire Member
OP Online Happy
Campfire Member
H
Right.

So how have others neck sized this cartridge with other dies?

thanks in advance, haeffnkr

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have not, but if you hustle, you can get this. There is one in stock.

https://www.grafs.com/catalog/product/productId/13630

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I always FL sized because it was chambered in a Contender and they are finicky if not sized properly. At the time RCBS would fit a die to your chamber so even with FL sizing I was getting 15-20 loadings before neck tension became a problem. I don't know if RCBS still does custom fitting of dies now.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
IC B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
We ve modified a lot of Lee collets to work on other cartridges. As an example made a 222 Rem into a 221 Fireball. If you find a case slightly longer than the one you re wanting to size and as long as it’s the same diameter bullet, you can cut / shorten the collet in a lathe. If you want to size a longer case that doesn’t have a collet die then just build a hollow sleeve that you put around the case resting it on the shell holder and it will push the collet when you lift the ram. Again, just needs to be same diameter bullet.

Obviously you can only shorten a collet so much before you lose the spring back/weaken it. The spacer route you re only limited by how much thread is on the collet. Example, I collet size my 6.5-300 Weatherby with a 6.5x55 collet and built a .700 tall spacer!! I can collet size my wildcat 6/280AI cases with my 6 Creedmoor collet and that one uses a .400 or .500 long spacer. If you just use the SAAMI drawing to calculate your differences it actually becomes pretty easy.

Good luck.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Basco, I'd like to contact you about those modifications to Lee collet dies. You can't send or receive a private message until you have 20 posts so I'll just keep an eye on your posts and when you reach 20 will send you a PM.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Jim, I m in Boise. I m ok with giving you my cell; I typically won’t answer it unless the caller ID is someone from my directory. Just call me and identify yourself. I stay up late watching sports and news so feel free to call.
208 866-4888

H
Campfire Member
OP Online Happy
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by Basco
We ve modified a lot of Lee collets to work on other cartridges. As an example made a 222 Rem into a 221 Fireball. If you find a case slightly longer than the one you re wanting to size and as long as it’s the same diameter bullet, you can cut / shorten the collet in a lathe. If you want to size a longer case that doesn’t have a collet die then just build a hollow sleeve that you put around the case resting it on the shell holder and it will push the collet when you lift the ram. Again, just needs to be same diameter bullet.

Obviously you can only shorten a collet so much before you lose the spring back/weaken it. The spacer route you re only limited by how much thread is on the collet. Example, I collet size my 6.5-300 Weatherby with a 6.5x55 collet and built a .700 tall spacer!! I can collet size my wildcat 6/280AI cases with my 6 Creedmoor collet and that one uses a .400 or .500 long spacer. If you just use the SAAMI drawing to calculate your differences it actually becomes pretty easy.

Good luck.

THIS is what I was looking for !!!!!!! thanks Basco !!

I did similar to the sleeve for a shorter case. I am using 17 Hornet on a collet die. I used the 17 Remington collet die and found a tall extended shell holder. I had dad turn the shell holder down the difference of the 2 cases ( from bottom of shoulder to top of the standard shell holder ) it was like .352" so the shouldered shell holder pushed the collet tight at the right time. We had to then had to shorten the primer push rod. Or we could have done a 2 step process to de-primer the hornet in the standard shell holder and then neck size with the modified extended shell holder. I saw this idea on a 17 Hornet post / forum.

Turning down the collet is easier and using a sleeve for longer cases is a brilliant idea.

thanks haeffnkr

Last edited by haeffnkr; 01/22/22.
H
Campfire Member
OP Online Happy
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by Basco

Good luck.

@Basco - you can not turn down more than about an 1/8 off the end of a LCD if the case you want to use is shorter right? If you go too far it will get into the shoulder of the collet that rest on on the inside lip of the press/die holder?

thanks haeffnkr

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

234 members (450yukon, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 39 invisible), 2,347 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,698
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.