H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by HitnRun
If it was any slower, it would be going backwards. They couldn’t possibly make it to Oregon in 5 years at the rate they’re trying to leave Texas.

If it wasn’t for saddles and guns, the show wouldn’t be worth watching for 5 minutes. The only thing worse would be to have a 6.5 Creedmoor in the show somewhere.

TX is 660 miles wide. And 790 miles top to bottom.

If they made 20 miles a day, which would be phenomenal time in a covered wagon pulled by two horses, that would take 33 days to cross TX. Or 39.5 days to go from south to north.
I’m guessing a trip to Oregon took at least 6 months or so.

GrandDad said he made a 120 mile trip with his Dad in our old covered wagon when he was 6 years old. Said it took them over a week. He said he walked all the way while his little sister who was 4, had to ride in the wagon.

Go ahead and make excuses, Lewis and Clark covered more than Texas in half the time. Not only that, Lewis and Clark avoided Texas entirely.

Wasn’t a Fuqking excuse. Travel by covered wagon over land was slow. Lewis & Clark covered a lot of miles in boats and on foot. Not encumbered by covered wagons carrying tenderfoot immigrants.

OK, I get it, you like it even though it is slow and poorly written. The story is more important to you than how fast they can get their sorry asses out of Texas.

You might want to review some of the episodes, when they are not moving at all and camping for several days at the same site. I don’t care how big Texas is, they will never make it to Oregon, camping out for days at a time.

Captain Yutz, played by Sam Elliott, never looks in their wagons before they leave to see some migrant has a piano stashed in his wagon? For $hit’s sake, he’s 80 years old and leading these German migrants that ended up in Texas that want to go to Oregon. Who the hell goes to Texas on their way to Oregon?

This script had to be written by a bunch of lab monkeys that got loose with a computer keyboard.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If it was any slower, it would be going backwards. They couldn’t possibly make it to Oregon in 5 years at the rate they’re trying to leave Texas.

If it wasn’t for saddles and guns, the show wouldn’t be worth watching for 5 minutes. The only thing worse would be to have a 6.5 Creedmoor in the show somewhere.

If they made 20 miles a day, which would be phenomenal time in a covered wagon pulled by two horses, that would take 33 days to cross TX. Or 39.5 days to go from south to north.

GrandDad said he made a 120 mile trip with his Dad in our old covered wagon when he was 6 years old. Said it took them over a week. He said he walked all the way while his little sister who was 4, had to ride in the wagon.

Go ahead and make excuses, Lewis and Clark covered more than Texas in half the time. Not only that, Lewis and Clark avoided Texas entirely.

Wasn’t a Fuqking excuse. Travel by covered wagon over land was slow. Lewis & Clark covered a lot of miles in boats and on foot. Not encumbered by covered wagons carrying tenderfoot immigrants.

OK, I get it, you like it even though it is slow and poorly written. The story is more important to you than how fast they can get their sorry asses out of Texas.

You might want to review some of the episodes, when they are not moving at all and camping for several days at the same site. I don’t care how big Texas is, they will never make it to Oregon, camping out for days at a time.

Captain Yutz, played by Sam Elliott, never looks in their wagons before they leave to see some migrant has a piano stashed in his wagon? For $hit’s sake, he’s 80 years old and leading these German migrants that ended up in Texas that want to go to Oregon. Who the hell goes to Texas on their way to Oregon?

This script had to be written by a bunch of lab monkeys that got loose with a computer keyboard.

So why are you watching it ??? Sounds like you need to get a life, if a TV show your obviously watching pisses you off that much. Or maybe watch The View.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

So why are you watching it ??? Sounds like you need to get a life, if a TV show your obviously watching pisses you off that much. Or maybe watch The View.

You can’t refute a thing I said, and you attack me because the show makes no sense. Did you train the monkeys that wrote it?

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

You can’t refute a thing I said, and you attack me because the show makes no sense. Did you train the monkeys that wrote it?

Didn't bother to refute anything you said. Merely stated how many miles a covered wagon made in a day. And how far and how long it would take to travel through TX. Can you refute that ? Tell us how many miles you’ve covered in a day while horseback? In a wagon ? You some kind of Eggspurt ?

Meanwhile, All you did was bitch about a show you don’t like and about a State you don’t like. Butt hurt much ???
Tell us what proud State you reside in ?

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Watched episode 3 last night. Wife asked why Mr. bad-ass Tim McGraw allows his 15 year old daughter to parade around camp stiff-nippled from swimming in the creek in her underwear in front of all kinds of unsavory men. WTF.

Always liked Sam Elliot but his days of portraying a badass are over. He's a querulous old man now, like his buddy Biden.

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Didn't bother to refute anything you said. Merely stated how many miles a covered wagon made in a day. And how far and how long it would take to travel through TX. Can you refute that ? Tell us how many miles you’ve covered in a day while horseback? In a wagon ? You some kind of Eggspurt ?

Meanwhile, All you did was bitch about a show you don’t like and about a State you don’t like. Butt hurt much ???
Tell us what proud State you reside in ?

You can’t out lie a confused Texan. So your grandad was in a wagon when he was 6 years old? Do you realize 1922 is 100 years ago? 1922 was still a few decades past covered wagons. Where I come from has no bearing on your perception of reality which is so distorted, you follow the nonsense of a slow, poorly cast, written and acted show.

Admit it, you like it because it’s supposed to be Texas and don’t like someone that doesn’t accept poor writing, casting and acting.

A piano in a wagon all the way from their starting point to the Brazos? Captain Elliott doesn’t know that? Texas aside, how do you accept that disconnect. How could a trail boss be 80 years old?

I like Texas, just not stupid stories about getting out of Texas.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
So you can’t refute what I say, so I’m a Liar now ???

That was 1915 when GrandDad made the wagon trip with his dad. And yes, some poor old TX Ranchers and Dirtfarmers still didn’t own an automobile or a tractor either back then. It was right before the Great Depression and Dust Bowl Days.
We weren’t all rich oilmen like the movies portrayed. I still own both of my Great Grandfathers one row mule drawn plows, they used back then, too. And the harnesses, reins, and bridles for that wagon.

And I never said it was a great show either, dumbass, or well written either. But it’s better than most of the schitt that passes for a TV show nowadays.
And it happens to be filmed less than 30 miles from here at the Ranch.
On a Ranch my Great Great Grandfather & Great Grandfather actually worked for while trying to pay for their own Ranches. The one I reside on now. So while I mostly enjoy the scenery, I don’t really give a flying Fuqk what you think of it.
Like I said, if you don’t like it, don’t watch it. Nobody gives a schitt what you like or don’t like. Don’t come on here and whine about something you don’t like and cry about it, either.
If you don’t like it, don’t watch it.
Perhaps Democrat Underground would be a better fit for ya. 😜

Last edited by chlinstructor; 01/27/22.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

That was 1915 when GrandDad made the wagon trip with his dad. And yes, some poor old TX Ranchers and Dirtfarmers still didn’t own an automobile or a tractor either back then. It was right before the Great Depression and Dust Bowl Days.
We weren’t all rich oilmen like the movies portrayed. I still own both of my Great Grandfathers one row mule drawn plows, they used back then, too. And the harnesses, reins, and bridles for that wagon.

And I never said it was a great show either, dumbass, or well written either. But it’s better than most of the schitt that passes for a TV show nowadays.
On a Ranch my Great Great Grandfather & Great Grandfather actually worked for while trying to pay for their own Ranches. The one I reside on now. So while I mostly enjoy the scenery, I don’t really give a flying Fuqk what you think of it.
Like I said, if you don’t like it, don’t watch it. Nobody gives a schitt what you like or don’t like. Don’t come on here and whine about something you don’t like and cry about it, either.

The depression was in the 1930’s, but that doesn’t matter either when you live in Texas and they film a tv show in your neighborhood. You really are something. Still dodging the lack of continuity of the story.

1883 is more like a train wreck that you drive by but still have to look.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

The depression was in the 1930’s, but that doesn’t matter either when you live in Texas and they film a tv show in your neighborhood. You really are something. Still dodging the lack of continuity of the story.

1883 is more like a train wreck that you drive by but still have to look.

I’m not dodging anything you obtuse little prick. Clearly reading comprehension is not your forte. And unlike you, I don’t live in a “neighborhood”. But you obviously believe your an Eggspurt on TX and TV drama.
Most likely a Biden supporter would be my guess. And a sore loser to boot. Now run along and go Fuqk yourself.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Originally Posted by Morewood

Always liked Sam Elliot but his days of portraying a badass are over. He's a querulous old man now, like his buddy Biden.

He's the sole reason I won't watch it. Cut TWO commercials in support of Biden and one of those being from the Lincoln Project, I am done with your sorry imitation cowboy azz.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Hitrun , stop watching the t.v. show you hate so much.
Change the channel, historically correct doc.s are out there.
What channel do you watch "1886" on? What night?
Inquiring minds.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I watched the bits and pieces I could find on Youtube.

I’m wondering how often guys on horseback actually charged each other with handguns blazing. OK, the Civil War, but those were military actions.

Texas Ranger Captain RIP Ford, who would know, opined that a guy on horseback with a revolver was at best evenly matched against a mounted Comanche with a bow. Surely the same thing applies to two guys with revolvers.

“Even” doesn’t sound like very good odds if one is going to repeat the practice. If ya don’t get shot there’s still the prospect of have your horse shot, which could likewise prove fatal.

This might be why Captain Ford did almost all of his plains fighting with rifles, you got within range, dismounted and used a rifle. It’s been a while since I read it but IIRC even Walter Prescott Web in his classic 1935 work “The Texas Rangers: A Century of Frontier Defense” mentions only one running fight on the plains, and that was settled by a Ranger who dismounted and used his Winchester.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Everyone has to be a critic. If you don’t like it don’t watch it. Big fugging deal if they used an 1894 in 1888.

For me and a lot of folks it’s about the only new show worth watching these days.

I look at it this way. Just imagine the hardships and struggles those early settlers endured. How bad things were for them to want to make a journey like that.

And now we sit in our chairs, on a thousand dollar electronic device and Bitch and complain about trivial stuff.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

I’m not dodging anything you obtuse little prick. Clearly reading comprehension is not your forte. And unlike you, I don’t live in a “neighborhood”. But you obviously believe your an Eggspurt on TX and TV drama.
Most likely a Biden supporter would be my guess. And a sore loser to boot. Now run along and go Fuqk yourself.

You can tell when you lost the argument by resorting to vulgarity and unrelated innuendo. You really need to give up.

I have 1 weakness that you can’t tolerate, I have watched a show that is shallow and inaccurate. You, however, watched the same show and like it. That’s not the problem, the problem is there are too many aspects of the show that just don’t make it a well thought out story.

Sam Elliott is too old, he doesn’t know how poorly outfitted his subjects are, before they even leave. When they get on their way , he doesn’t know enough about people or their abilities or preparation and they unload pianos and cook stoves from the wagons to cross a river he knew they would have to cross and he didn’t tell them before they left about how much they could haul in their wagons.

Shooting revolvers at bandits for several miles while riding a running horse and never running out of ammunition, standing by while the cutesy girl “cowboy” shoots the last bandit, camping days and not moving…

The holes in this film are legion, and yet you resort to name calling and poor skills in debate. You may want to call a friend to help you out, you aren’t doing too good as you still haven’t addressed the poor quality of the film’s writing or acting. Keep blaming me, but I didn’t put this attempt to make a historic depiction on television, I only watched it, hoping it would have been a better portrayal of the migration west in 1883.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
So what’s your favorite movie, mini series?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
As a wise man once said: "Jeebus."

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

You can tell when you lost the argument by resorting to vulgarity and unrelated innuendo.

Why yes yes you can.

Exhibit A.
“You can’t out lie a confused Texan”

As you can plainly see, by your own words, dumbass, you started the “unrelated innuendo” and condescending Bullschitt
Pot meet Kettle Cock sucker.

And I finished it. Now Fuqk The Fuqk Off you whiny little C U N T

Last edited by chlinstructor; 01/28/22.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Yep, another one to the ignore closest.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Watched episode 3 last night. Wife asked why Mr. bad-ass Tim McGraw allows his 15 year old daughter to parade around camp stiff-nippled from swimming in the creek in her underwear in front of all kinds of unsavory men. WTF.

This isn’t my assessment, but is accurate.

I never said I hated it, but it sure isn’t a good depiction of western migration.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some of you all must have a lot of spare time on your hands…..

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

114 members (35, Angus1895, 44mc, 10Glocks, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 7887mm08, 12 invisible), 1,506 guests, and 900 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,995
Posts18,481,152
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.