Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Fraser
I have been looking at an online ad for a Leupold VX-R 2-7x33 with the Firedot Duplex.

The VX-R has been discontinued for a couple of years so I’d beware of fakes. I have a VX-R 2-7x33 with Firedot 4 Reticle and really like it.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by slm9s
I think a small dim red dot works great at first/last light but also in dark timber, especially during cloudy/rainy days - which is every elk season in Western Washington. You'd be surprised how dark it is in the timber if you're not from the PNW. Good non-lit reticles work, like the old conquest 3-9 duplex and Leica #1, but z6i, vx6 LRD, and razor LHT just make it a little easier.

Took the words right outta my mouth.

Heavy clouds or overcast extend low-light conditions by an hour or more at dawn and at dusk. When the days are already short, illuminated reticles make the hunting day 20-25% longer, and the extended parts are the best parts. Win-win-win.

The lower the level of illumination, the more useful the scope--too much and I can't see anything. I also like a simple reticle since I'm not trying long shots in low light. A Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 with the illuminated Forceplex reticle is just about perfect.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like them, and they have useful place.

Have a couple of the VX-R 2-7 firedots. I do not see the advantage of the higher settings, but I really like the lower power settings. Especially during lower light conditions.

I also have a couple trijicon accupoints, no complaints.

The LRHS illumination was a little too much IMO.

Arcus Venator
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I just got a VX6-HD w/fire dot this past year. It made all the difference this past fall in low light/gloomy conditions when I was losing the target against the background. Multiple illumination levels are a must, IMO.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Example of one, but I found that illumination is one area that Leupold did right.

I find it helpful even in good light because properly designed, it draws my eye to the sticking spot. “Properly designed” for me right now is the Duplex w/green dot in the Trijicon Accupoint 3-9, a near perfect hunting Duplex with a subtle center dot.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some excellent comments especially the bit about needing some sort of illumination with FFP on low power as reticle becomes so thin it is almost invisible. (At least it does to my old eyes)

My favorite illuminated scopes:

SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Matte, Illuminated Mil-Quad, FFP, .1 MRAD, Side Focus
Has tiny red dot in center
I have two and they are on LR hunting rifles used primarily for coues wt

https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-hd-5-20x50-tactical-30mm-riflescope.html?___SID=U

Trijicon trijicon tr20-1g accupoint 3-9x40 green dot
Duplex type crosshair with small green dot in center
No batteries needed. Great lightweight scope.
Use it for elk hunting

https://www.trijicon.com/products/details/tr20-1g

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I sure liked it this fall on the Zeiss V4 I was using. As noted above, PNW grey overcast and dense woods can result in it being really dark while still technically legal. In the past, losing the reticle was the main reason to “call it” before last legal light, in the instances I did that. Dark etched reticles like in the older Conquests certainly help. Anyway, the illumination on the 4-16x50 V4 goes down REALLY low; on its lowest setting you can barely detect it even in very low light. I used it on the 2nd to lowest setting. I did get to pretend I was shooting a deer with it, at least. Had a few does come out at the end of light one evening, and a couple other does show up before dawn a different day. The illumination was pretty slick at that moment, I won’t lie.

I wish my first-gen Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 had it.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
I I won’t lie.

You mean now or the couple of dozen times you've been caught? Go awy, you dope smoking, anti-American POS liar...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If you've ever been in the situation where you could see your target but not see your crosshairs. Yes, illumination is worth it. Happens to me pretty often hunting 30 minutes after sunset or hunting hogs at night. Turn the illumination down low and if you hold the dot on him you've got him.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Hastings
If you've ever been in the situation where you could see your target but not see your crosshairs. Yes, illumination is worth it. Happens to me pretty often hunting 30 minutes after sunset or hunting hogs at night. Turn the illumination down low and if you hold the dot on him you've got him.

I've never been in that situation with top end optics. I have several scopes that have illumination and have never needed to use even past legal shooting light.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by jwp475

I've never been in that situation with top end optics. I have several scopes that have illumination and have never needed to use even past legal shooting light.

+2! I recently did field testing at twilight to dark with 3 good scopes, a swaro, a vx3hd and a vx5hd w/firedot. I had a dark target at 200 yds. With all 3 scopes I was able to see and place the x hairs on target until it got so dark I couldnt see anything. But at the last of the last light when I turned on the firedot the illumination washed out the target surrounding it, And yes it was on lowest setting.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I might agree with “needed”. However I’ve absolutely been in low enough- but legal- light in the past where the appropriate amount of illumination would’ve been appreciated.

That’s the key though- appropriate level. They seem to have nailed it on my two Zeiss V4 4-16x50’s but I’m being very specific there because it really is a very fine line between being just bright enough to help see the reticle more easily vs. washing out the target.

I should add, I have some very nice scopes but perhaps what not John’s talking about when he says “top end”. IDK top end, too rich for this workin’ man.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Black Bear are BLACK. Blacker than black when you have minutes left for legal light. An illuminated reticle, especially a dot or center cross-hair is most definitely worth it. A lot of Black Bears that we have shot (stand over bait) happened at the last few minutes of light. I remember one Bear that I shot that I was looking at for a while but didnt know it was a bear. It looked like a typical black hole in some heavy cover. That hole eventually moved and came in.

Even top tier glass wont help if you cant distinguish the cross-hairs when you lay them on that black fur. Truth.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tesoro
Originally Posted by jwp475

+2! I recently did field testing at twilight to dark with 3 good scopes, a swaro, a vx3hd and a vx5hd w/firedot. I had a dark target at 200 yds. With all 3 scopes I was able to see and place the x hairs on target until it got so dark I couldnt see anything. But at the last of the last light when I turned on the firedot the illumination washed out the target surrounding it, And yes it was on lowest setting.

That has been my experience as well, but certain folks here have called me an ignorant, dumbass, backwoods, stoopid climate change denier because I prefer plain ol' reticles.
Now, I may be ignorant, and a dumbass on occasion, but illuminated reticles do nothing for me when hunting.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by WiFowler
Originally Posted by FSJeeper
For my eyes and low light, I prefer no illumination having 2 Z6 Swaro's to compare, one with illumination, one without.

I'll take the quality of glass over-illumination any day.

I wanted to like illuminated scopes, tried to like them, but my preference is no illumination after testing and trying things out on a number of scopes of several years.

There are others like me who also set the hype aside and truly tested illumination out for themselves with no bias and came to the same conclusion.

I think that on lower quality glass the illumination actually does help a little bit in low light though.

Interesting, as I'm on the fence as to illumination myself. I have the Z6 3-18x50 BT-4W (non-illum) and have been pondering buying another, or keeping my eyes peeled for a used (not abused) illuminated version with the BT-4W reticle.

I’ve got that same scope, non-illuminated, that I may be selling very soon. I will send you a PM.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I shot this whitetail four minutes into shooting light in north Texas this past season. I was ready at two but decided to wait it out. At four he started to look antsy so I pulled the trigger. No issues with seeing the crosshairs on the deer. This with a $200 Burris FF2 4.5-14X.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Crosshairs on the hide of a deer and the hide of a bear are like night and day. No pun intended. Seeing the critter is not the problem.

The problem is seeing the black crosshairs on the coal black hide of a bear.

I have a Burris E1 version with lesser magnification that we took a nice 300+ Black Bear with. The glass didn't matter. It was fine. The red dot made it happen with less than a minute of shooting light left that night.

Killed them without a lighted dot too but never that late.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Black Bear are BLACK. Blacker than black when you have minutes left for legal light. An illuminated reticle, especially a dot or center cross-hair is most definitely worth it. A lot of Black Bears that we have shot (stand over bait) happened at the last few minutes of light. I remember one Bear that I shot that I was looking at for a while but didnt know it was a bear. It looked like a typical black hole in some heavy cover. That hole eventually moved and came in.

Even top tier glass wont help if you cant distinguish the cross-hairs when you lay them on that black fur. Truth.

+1 on that. Black bear in fading light is one place I would really opt for illumination. Better great glass and illumination

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I think people's eyes are different in how sensitive they are to light and contrast.

That's why you get the never-ending argument over illumination vs no illumination. For some people there isn't any glass good enough to see the reticle 1 minute into legal hunting time on a rainy, moonless morning/evening.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well worth it for me. Little red dot on black hogs in low light or under thick canopy of oaks is just the ticket.

Not all illuminated scopes are equal. The rheostat needs to provide a measure of brightness and intensity control. IME, Schmidt and Bender Flash Dot is the best.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

497 members (2500HD, 270wsmnutt, 260Remguy, 1234, 1minute, 10gaugeman, 55 invisible), 2,751 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,129
Posts18,502,592
Members73,989
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.