Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Greetings , I am setting up an ar15 for a hog, coyote and bobcat rifle. Having zero experience with setting up an ar15 for this purpose , I was wondering how much of a height difference between a 44 mm vs 50 mm. Probably setting it up in a leupold ar mount or the Burris style cantilever style mount.

Experiences and pros and cons of both? Cheek weld differences?

Memento mori ( remember you must die) enjoy every day for tomorrow you may not wake

You can always borrow and pay the money back but you can never get the time back

Everyone hunter should own a fine rifle, life is short.
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You'll be fine with either. Those objective sizes easily fit with plenty of clearance. Here's a Leupold mk2 mount with a 42mm objective scope for reference:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Then the PEPR with a Burris AR556 4.5-14x42 on top:

Those are 1" scope tubes. In the 30mm version, I've fit 56mm objectives in the PEPR mount:

The dimensions leupold gives from the center of the ring to the rail is 1.4" for the 1" mk2 and newer style Mark AR cantilever mount. The PEPR is slightly different at 1.5". The 30mm mount is listed at 1.6". As far as cheek weld, I haven't had an issue with an of the stocks I've had. That includes the PRS, ACS, gunfighter and A2 stock. YMMV on that though..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Which mount do you like better the leupold or the Burris?

Memento mori ( remember you must die) enjoy every day for tomorrow you may not wake

You can always borrow and pay the money back but you can never get the time back

Everyone hunter should own a fine rifle, life is short.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I prefer the Burris PEPR, but they are made in China. I probably won't be buying anymore of them. The Leupold Mark AR mount looks real good to my eye, but I actually prefer the 2 large nuts for tightening down to the rail, vs the allen head screws on the new Leupold. I'd have to use the Leupold a bit, before I could say for certain that it is a good mount. In that, I mean how many times can you loosen and tighten those allen head screws before they strip out? You have steel screws going into aluminum. Not the best set-up IMHO. Its hard to argue the robustness of the Burris mount, but most here don't like them because they are made in china.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a couple rifles with the 50 mm lens but only because I got a good deal when I needed it. I don't do any shooting at low light so that size is pretty much wasted. I much prefer the 44 mm lens just because they make the rifle look more streamlined.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (1minute, 1badf350, 270cowboy, 2500HD, 280Jeff, 29aholic, 58 invisible), 2,339 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,170
Posts18,503,120
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.