Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by leadfeather
Fellas , can somebody tell me why a nongame animal with such a destructive nature receive any better treatment than say a wood rat or a cockroach that most everybody has at one time or another poisoned or hired an exterminator to do it for you. Most all of these hogs that i am dealing with have proven to be very trap shy from previous trapping and loading a 250 plus lb. hog is a challenge at best for me . I was approached by a fella that bragged about how good his dogs where and if i would just let him in he would rid us of our problem. I agreed with the stipulation that no hogs left alive . that was the last I herd of him.
the other day I was traveling between Campti and Clarence and saw what i thought was a barrel in the ditch that moved, then it looked more like a baby Rhinoceros and all I could thing of was how many fawns has that thing eaten and how much destruction will he cause in the future. I am fed up!

Same view in my state. You make an attempt to kill humanely but even a wounded hog has a good chance of doing the world a favor and dying of an infection later. Also the whole humane killing argument falls down with shotguns anyway. We BS on about correct shot placement and accountability for anything that comes out of a rifle barrel, but have no problem spraying a load of 00 buck at game or No.4 shot at birds. Cant say I have ever planned the humane path of every pellet out of a scattergun.

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
^^^^^ yep, bunch of hypocritical mf'ers in this thread. Never figured out why a hog would deserve more "respect" than a quail, dove, or rabbit.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hanco
[quote=stxhunter]Buzzards are on them in Burnet ten minutes after you shoot one. I’m talking hundreds of them. Rancher tries to calve about now, no black buzzards, a few Turkey bastards, that’s all.

How far north do buzzards go in the summer. Black buzzards didn’t show up until about ten years ago

Black vultures don’t move around much, they actually live in related social groups, they are heavier than turkey vultures and not as good at soaring without strong thermals. Given strong thermals they soar higher and faster than Turkey vultures. They are spreading north and increasing in many places, even in the South.

Right now they are found as far north as Southern NY/Southern New England and Southern PA across to S. Arkansas, SE Kansas and the Eastern 2/3,of Oklahoma and TX. Also parts of S.Arizona. Still absent from most of the West.

Turkey vultures, being lighter in weight with longer wings can get by in cooler climates, in summer they are found across N.America to S. Canada, retreat to a range much like that of black vulture in winter. Being more solitary and able to locate carrion by smell, they are better at surviving in desert areas where there are fewer animals per unit area to provide carrion.

Both species have benefitted enormously from the establishment of our road network.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by mirage243
^^^^^ yep, bunch of hypocritical mf'ers in this thread. Never figured out why a hog would deserve more "respect" than a quail, dove, or rabbit.

got that right, wonder how my geese I gut shot when we had to start using steel shot. switching from lead to steel was not easy and ducks and geese got the raw end of the deal till you figured out the kill zone

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by steveredd1
got that right, wonder how my geese I gut shot when we had to start using steel shot

Bald eagles in some places along Coastal East Texas make a good living cleaning up the cripples after the goose hunters leave.

That being said, there’s a world of difference between that and intentionally crippling. YMMV.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mirage243

got that right, wonder how my geese I gut shot when we had to start using steel shot. switching from lead to steel was not easy and ducks and geese got the raw end of the deal till you figured out the kill zone

Hunting ethics, or whatever else you want to call it.... personal rules of engagement for hunting, or whatever else we do, are just that. Personal.

We do what we do.

Whenever you impose your "ethics" on others, it usually won't turn out well, and you probably won't change any minds. But when you volunteer to enter the fray of public forum with what you do, then also be prepared to hear the opposing side.

If you aren't willing or prepared to hear the other side, then keep what you do to yourself.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

How far north do buzzards go in the summer. Black buzzards didn’t show up until about ten years ago
[/quote]

Black vultures don’t move around much, they actually live in related social groups, they are heavier than turkey vultures and not as good at soaring without strong thermals. Given strong thermals they soar higher and faster than Turkey vultures. They are spreading north and increasing in many places, even in the South.

Right now they are found as far north as Southern NY/Southern New England and Southern PA across to S. Arkansas, SE Kansas and the Eastern 2/3,of Oklahoma and TX. Also parts of S.Arizona. Still absent from most of the West.

Both species have benefitted enormously from the establishment of our road network.
[/quote]

Saw 5 of the bastards just below my house, sitting on a limb by a roadkilled
deer. It's a busy state road, if it had been a better location 3 or 4 of them
would have succumbed to lead poisoning. Have heard they were around here,
probably have seen them on the wing and not knew it. This, was the first
time seeing them for certain.

Barry,
I gotta disagree, slightly.

Ethics are somewhat personal, following them absolutely is.
Things like baiting, using a light, shooting from vehicles even,
They are regional and personal.

But even coming from a place and people who did it, having done it
myself, killing "extra" game is never ethical. There may be good reasons
to do so, but it not ethical. Clear as dirt, I know.

One of the foundations of ethics though, even outside of hunting, is
to avoid causing unnecessary suffering of any creature.

The posts of shotgun shooting, or poisioning are BS arguments trying to
defend an indefensible position. As posted before, I can come up with
scenarios where I would do it. But it's very distasteful, and would be
one of those things you do out of necessity, unwillingly.
And dam sure don't talk about.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 01/19/22.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 158XTP
Originally Posted by leadfeather
Fellas , can somebody tell me why a nongame animal with such a destructive nature receive any better treatment than say a wood rat or a cockroach that most everybody has at one time or another poisoned or hired an exterminator to do it for you. Most all of these hogs that i am dealing with have proven to be very trap shy from previous trapping and loading a 250 plus lb. hog is a challenge at best for me . I was approached by a fella that bragged about how good his dogs where and if i would just let him in he would rid us of our problem. I agreed with the stipulation that no hogs left alive . that was the last I herd of him.
the other day I was traveling between Campti and Clarence and saw what i thought was a barrel in the ditch that moved, then it looked more like a baby Rhinoceros and all I could thing of was how many fawns has that thing eaten and how much destruction will he cause in the future. I am fed up!

Same view in my state. You make an attempt to kill humanely but even a wounded hog has a good chance of doing the world a favor and dying of an infection later. Also the whole humane killing argument falls down with shotguns anyway. We BS on about correct shot placement and accountability for anything that comes out of a rifle barrel, but have no problem spraying a load of 00 buck at game or No.4 shot at birds. Cant say I have ever planned the humane path of every pellet out of a scattergun.

And there's never a bad hit with archery gear......on deer, elk, etc. I've never seen an outcry here on that subject.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
We BS on about correct shot placement and accountability for anything that comes out of a rifle barrel, but have no problem spraying a load of 00 buck at game or No.4 shot at birds.

We? You got a mouse in your pocket?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

E
ewc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Park Service has been doing that for years in the Smokey Mountains. Pay some kids just out of college to shoot them and leave them lay. Guns and nightvision legally in a federal Park? Hell yeah!!!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ewc
Park Service has been doing that for years in the Smokey Mountains. Pay some kids just out of college to shoot them and leave them lay. Guns and nightvision legally in a federal Park? Hell yeah!!!
In March 2010 a Georgia game warden was accidently shot by being mistaken for a coyote. He was apparently prone and watching some hunters who were predator hunting using night vision or thermal imaging optics.

My neighbor mounted an ATN on his rifle and I could see hogs easily at 200+ yards but could not swear they were hogs. It had the side effect of messing up my night vision for several minutes. I stick with my motion detector light and bait and do not invite people of unknown ability to come shoot hogs.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It seems like scanning with a thermal/IR device is better when using your non-dominant eye, so the dominant eye doesn't lose night vision. Shooting is righty, but I scan with my left eye to save the vision in the right.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Hastings
Originally Posted by ewc
In March 2010 a Georgia game warden was accidently shot by being mistaken for a coyote. He was apparently prone and watching some hunters who were predator hunting using night vision or thermal imaging optics.

My neighbor mounted an ATN on his rifle and I could see hogs easily at 200+ yards but could not swear they were hogs. It had the side effect of messing up my night vision for several minutes. I stick with my motion detector light and bait and do not invite people of unknown ability to come shoot hogs.

Thermals and NV devices today have a brightness adjustment to dim the screen. That helps a lot, and keeping your other eye free from light contamination helps as well.

I keep my screens pretty dim.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 158XTP

We BS on about correct shot placement and accountability for anything that comes out of a rifle barrel, but have no problem spraying a load of 00 buck at game or No.4 shot at birds. Cant say I have ever planned the humane path of every pellet out of a scattergun.

This is just plain stupid. “You plan the humane path of the pellet” by knowing how your gun patterns and staying within that range. It’s a law of averages numbers thing. I shoot a lot of birds, I rarely have cripples when I do get one my dog nearly always runs it down.

But the point of this thread wasn’t about unintentionally making a bad shot with a shotgun. It was about intentionally gut shooting with a 22 to cause as slow and painful a death possible for someone to lazy to throw the dead hogs in a pit or other appropriate disposal sight.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I dang sure don't plan on wounding.

Yup.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have groups of guys down all the time to my land, rules, kill everyone you see, if you can't use it we will dig a big hole and cover it up when done

Everyone? Dang, wouldn’t want to be around there when they are hunting! lol Or did you mean every one? :-)

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Aim for clean kills. Deliberately wounding an animal is the act of a sociopath.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Raferman
Only wish I could hear fire ants scream.

Me too

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by hanco
[quote=stxhunter]Buzzards are on them in Burnet ten minutes after you shoot one. I’m talking hundreds of them. Rancher tries to calve about now, no black buzzards, a few Turkey bastards, that’s all.

Turkey vultures, being lighter in weight with longer wings can get by in cooler climates, in summer they are found across N.America to S. Canada, retreat to a range much like that of black vulture in winter. Being more solitary and able to locate carrion by smell, they are better at surviving in desert areas where there are fewer animals per unit area to provide carrion.

Thank you, had no clue they were that widespread, nasty bastards, Turkey vultures probably ain’t no better, but just don’t like the black ones.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
We BS on about correct shot placement and accountability for anything that comes out of a rifle barrel, but have no problem spraying a load of 00 buck at game or No.4 shot at birds.

We? You got a mouse in your pocket?

I only understand some of your posts dan and that includes back when you were still on accurate reloading.

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

666 members (10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 160user, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,609 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,837
Posts18,478,100
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.