Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Additionally, I'm fortunate enough to live in a place where there is a lot of Deer....Which significantly increases the chance of throwing one the "lucky" card. And I've been very lucky. grin

A friend who is an excellent wild Pheasant hunter, says one of his best advantages is that he is always ready for a flush...I look at it the same with Deer hunting..When opportunity presents you have to be ready to make it happen. Being around Deer frequently helps one to quickly recognise different situations.

Addition: I grew up in a clan that drove Deer regularly...and one thing you quickly learn is not to be afraid to miss. You would get some trash talk when you did, however that was an incentive to do better. Have another friend who kills Deer on a fairly regular basis, but if everything is not perfect he hesitates. It has cost him some nice Bucks.

Last edited by battue; 01/19/22.

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Battue,
Really cool pictures of some country that I have only had infrequent visits to. Thanks for sharing.

Regarding your question on who moves around, out here in AZ, the game populations densities are low. Like say i deer per square mile (that’s the Statewide average). Some hunters have developed a strategy of spot and stalk. Get on a hill or mountain, glass your eyeballs off, spot an animal, then start your stalk. Shooting distances can be great. We sometimes spot an animal miles away, and then head in for the stalk.

Some hunters have been known to sit on that hill or mountain all day while others move to different hills or mountains or mountains during the course of the day. Just depends.

My experience in other Western states is variable, but spot and stalk is the most common hunting method.

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by lastround

Battue, I remember you taking a walk with your buddy, then returning to the box blind and killing a nice buck that came in from right where you walked.

Hey!!!! Hope all is well!!

Yes, it was a little chilly, with a light mist, the Squirrels were driving Toby nuts and I had been in there for a good while. Got a little cold and was doing push ups and thought lets see if I can sneak up on something. Took that walk, couldn't leave Toby because he would have been barking...Then the sun broke thru and I thought I best get back...and it wasn't long. The story in pictures...

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

The view where the Deer showed up...I placed a "sign" on the edge that said "Deer Crossing"....and some think I don't know sign...humphhh!!!!....that must have told him where to go. grin

The result....

Great day, thanks for the opportunity to have it happen!!!!

Harry, those are pictures that I never get tired of seeing! I guess I’m doing as well as can be expected at my age, thanks for asking. That house blind is still producing, by the way. I hope all is well with you.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
That is without a doubt the nicest blind I ever was in.😉

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I get the wind right and pretty much stay on the move. Probably 75% of my deer and 100% of my hogs were taken on foot creeping around.
Foggy days are one of my favorites. Also when the leaves are wet from a weather front moving out…Hell, I’m going in to work late or maybe not at all. Those days are magical.

A bottle of water and a couple pb&j sammiches, I can stay all day and enjoy the woods. It’s my happy place!!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by battue
That is without a doubt the nicest blind I ever was in.😉

Yeah, it’s pretty comfortable and easy to get into. I plan on using it a lot more in coming years as I get older.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (06hunter59, 1_deuce, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 61 invisible), 2,621 guests, and 1,145 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,474
Posts18,529,427
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.