Print Thread
Hop To
S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I've got a rifle that has 1" dual dovetail bases/rings on it now and I'm pondering swapping the scope out to a 30mil. When I change rings, can I use the existing bases? Or should I swap out both new rings and new bases? I've heard that the rings and bases gall together when you twist them into place and form a mating surface that only securely holds once. Any truth to that?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've re-used the bases multiple times. If necessary, flip the base over, and rap the underside with a punch to restore the tension.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most quality d-d rings have some anti seize either in the package or already applied to the dovetails (a waxy coating) to prevent galling. Using that, I've never galled either the rings or bases.

With a dab of anti seize, if they're tight when they go back on you should be fine. If the mating surfaces are scored and thrashed, I'd replace them, even if they're tight. Before rotating the rings off, squirt a bit of Kroil or Marvel Mystery Oil around the dovetails and let it sit for a day. If they were installed w/o any anti seize, this helps keeps the scoring to a minimum when they come off.

Works for me. smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A few years ago I bought new DD for a Weatherby (2 sets mine and a buddy) MKv. I have used them for years and never had issues reusing. That changed on these two sets, I wasn’t changing them but installing and aligning them. They were loose and wobbled after they were aligned. Leupold did replace both sets and I installed one set on another rifle. No problem with the replacement. Best to lightly lubricate during install.
I ended up going with a Near Mfg mount for the Weatherby’s

Last edited by 338reddog; 01/20/22.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I don't re-use if I have to change or adjust rings. I usually keep the B&R if I sell a rifle w/o scope and if everything remains lined up when I stick the B&R on a new action, I have no qualms about using them, but I had one base get slightly boogered .. too subtlely to tell visually .. which lead to accuracy problems and wasting a bunch o' components before realizing what the problem was. (Credit goes to a gunsmith friend who asked if I'd re-used the bases.) Once I swapped in all new stuff, accuracy problems vanished. To me it's not worthwhile. Dual dovetail bases are .. what, maybe $20? False economy.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B2

S
SDHNTR Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I don't re-use if I have to change or adjust rings. I usually keep the B&R if I sell a rifle w/o scope and if everything remains lined up when I stick the B&R on a new action, I have no qualms about using them, but I had one base get slightly boogered .. too subtlely to tell visually .. which lead to accuracy problems and wasting a bunch o' components before realizing what the problem was. (Credit goes to a gunsmith friend who asked if I'd re-used the bases.) Once I swapped in all new stuff, accuracy problems vanished. To me it's not worthwhile. Dual dovetail bases are .. what, maybe $20? False economy.

Right, not worth the expense. But the issue is, I have the rings and the scope in hand now, from what I had laying around. I'd need to order the new bases and didn't want to wait, but I suppose I should. Thanks all.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
I've got a rifle that has 1" dual dovetail bases/rings on it now and I'm pondering swapping the scope out to a 30mil. When I change rings, can I use the existing bases? Or should I swap out both new rings and new bases? I've heard that the rings and bases gall together when you twist them into place and form a mating surface that only securely holds once. Any truth to that?

They can gall. I always use gun grease to avoid that. You can definitely re-use them. Guys that gall them up don't know what they are doing... Use grease.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Another trick you can do if you re-use a set is this:

Mount bases onto rifle action, twist ring dovetails into bases to align. Once you have mounted and bore-sighted rifle satisfactorily, unscrew top half of rings and take scope out of rings. Take bases(bottom half of rings still twisted into bases)off rifle being careful to note direction bases were installed on rifle.

Degrease the underside of base(hole with the ring dovetail screwed into it). Once degreased well(I use rubbing alcohol and then heat up well with hair dryer to make sure all moisture has evaporated) and thoroughly dried, fill the underside of the base hole with acraglas bedding epoxy being careful not to overfill and disrupt the contour of the underside of the base. Once epoxy is cured(overnight), reinstall bases in same direction they were previously positioned on the rifle.

Obviously, once you’ve done this you have a permanently fused together ring/base set. I’ve done this several times on rifles and never had problems maintaining zero…..it’s better than throwing a previously used set of dual dovetail mounts away.

Leftybolt

Last edited by Leftybolt; 01/22/22.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 1lessdog, 61 invisible), 2,491 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,469
Posts18,471,408
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.