Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If Oregon banned it, the Potland crowd would follow, but beyond that.... you see Fish and Game or Federal Rangers out like the first day of the season.... more like trying to hand out tickets for not wearing your seat belt on Forest Service roads.... 25 and 30 miles in the back country....

after that, they seem to go back to the office and disappear until next season...

most people in rural Oregon, which is most of the state...... don't comply with much of anything....that comes out of Salem...
mainly due to the lack of presence of LEOs....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by Yaddio
Pretty much make a 22 LR useless for hunting in these areas where lead is banned, right?

CCI is making lead free .22 LR.

Polls show that to date...no animals have been killed with it yet, although many have been shot at.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Around here,wind turbines are killing more birds than lead bullets

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
flintlocke,

I tested CCI .22 LR, along with Winchester .22 Magnum and CCI .17 HMR lead-free ammo, a LOT a few years ago for an article in RIFLE magazine, both for accuracy and effect on animals. This was partly done because bunch of subscribers live in California, and were asking questions.

It was "gopher" season in this part of Montana--Richardson's ground squirrels. The .22 ammo shot well, especially in Eileen's Anschutz 54 sporter, and as far as we could tell killed gophers just like most high-velocity HP Long Rifle ammo. The 21-grain bullets did wind-drift a little more than lead HPs at longer ranges, but the 1800+ fps muzzle velocity helped considerably in trajectory at LR ranges.

The .22 Magnum ammo didn't expand much on gophers. Dunno the 30-grain bullets were designed for use on larger varmints, but I quit shooting gophers pretty quickly with it. Muzzle velocity was similar to 40-grain lead ammo, a little over 2000 fps. It shot pretty accurately in my Ruger American, but that rifle shoots just about any ammo well.

The CCI 15.5 grain .17 HMR stuff was VERY accurate and effective in my CZ 452, with a muzzle velocity of around 2600.

The article also appeared, with some updated info, as a chapter in GUN GACK III.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have E-tips and TTSXs and other bullets for CFs, but have yet to find any LF .22s to even try.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Pappy,

If I recall correctly, I found both the .22 LR and Magnum ammo in local Montana stores, but had to order the .17 HMR stuff.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
I don't mean to change the direction of this thread, but I would sure love to see lead-free recipes in reloading manuals separate from the lead data. Lead-free should have their own section due to their differences. "As this lead-free only" for hunting spreads across the country, (and I believe it will), the powder and bullet companies should tailor these loads separately.

One more thing... The environmentalists do whatever they can to get lead out of hunting. The politicians use this info to joyfully jab a stick in the eye of gun owners and hunters.

Liars should have good memories.
H. Babcock
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Eventually you will see lead free in all states.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I doubt that will happen before any of us posting here are still above ground....

John Steinbeck
M
Mgw619 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I doubt that will happen before any of us posting here are still above ground....

36 here. That's why I'm asking. Still a lot of hunting left. Sounds like nothing major to change in the next 5 plus years.

You'll shoot your eye out
IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
It came up for a vote in the NY legislature last year and was voted down. NY State is a funny place, big city down south and most of the other part of the state rural with a tradition of hunting. BUT, they won't stop until they get their way. They crept it in bit by bit in California. Text book creep. Make it optional, but highly recommended, then only in a few areas like the condor range, expand it to a wider range than the whole state all the while publicizing in articles about the evils of lead in the environment.. We fought it, but in the "Land of Fruits and Nuts" we don't stand a chance. Mountain Lion hunting banned, a few years later bobcat hunting banned, trapping banned no telling what's next.

Ban on bear hunting will be next. You won’t be allowed to hunt an “iconic” species!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have seen anti lead at the sportsman’s show in California, telling me that if I cared about the game I would choose to shoot non tox as he had. This was prior to state wide prohibition on lead hunting Bullets.
Now I have seen similar propaganda in Nevada. No doubt it is a agenda.
On another note wife had a mule deer tag in CA near Mammoth a few years ago( 1st year of lead ban) We had parked the truck high on a 4 wheel tribe road. Game warden seen our truck and bee lined it for us before we started hiking. He look at my wife’s ammunition ( Barnes TTSX) and wanted to see the box. I reload was my response.”Well how am I supposed to know if they are lead or not,” was his. I pointed out the characteristics that made up a Barnes TTSX he tried looking it up on his phone. He ended up taking a round. I told him maybe the should be educated in identifying approved bullets if they were to enforce the law.
I had a bear tag he warned me, he better not catch me looking at a deer through my scope. What a putz.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Originally Posted by Fireball2
You keep one magazine loaded with copper bullets to show the game warden, and you keep magazine loaded with the bullets you hunt with. Not that it's an issue around here.

That wont fly. You can not have lead on your possession while hunting.
You dont think duck hunters have thought of that?

I hunt ducks and deer on my own property. I'll do as I wish.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 338reddog
I have seen anti lead at the sportsman’s show in California, telling me that if I cared about the game I would choose to shoot non tox as he had. This was prior to state wide prohibition on lead hunting Bullets.
Now I have seen similar propaganda in Nevada. No doubt it is a agenda.
On another note wife had a mule deer tag in CA near Mammoth a few years ago( 1st year of lead ban) We had parked the truck high on a 4 wheel tribe road. Game warden seen our truck and bee lined it for us before we started hiking. He look at my wife’s ammunition ( Barnes TTSX) and wanted to see the box. I reload was my response.”Well how am I supposed to know if they are lead or not,” was his. I pointed out the characteristics that made up a Barnes TTSX he tried looking it up on his phone. He ended up taking a round. I told him maybe the should be educated in identifying approved bullets if they were to enforce the law.
I had a bear tag he warned me, he better not catch me looking at a deer through my scope. What a putz.

99.9 % of the Fish Cops in CA are pricks of the first magnitude.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y

Ban on bear hunting will be next. You won’t be allowed to hunt an “iconic” species![/quote]

I live in San Luis Obispo County where bear hunting is already banned. When they try to bring bear hunting back public pressure has stopped it. BTW, we have plenty of bears here in SLO.

H. Babcock
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Craigster
[quote=338reddog
99.9 % of the Fish Cops in CA are pricks of the first magnitude.[/quote]

Arizona has a few but bitch would be more appropriate as they are female.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I don't know why anyone cares. The Feds say you can't use lead shot on ducks, they also say pot is a Schedule 1 drug.

I don't see anyone writing tickets for all the pot heads in Oregon, but they do if you shoot a duck with a chilled load of 5's?

Screw'em

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by Mike78
I don't know why anyone cares. The Feds say you can't use lead shot on ducks, they also say pot is a Schedule 1 drug.

I don't see anyone writing tickets for all the pot heads in Oregon, but they do if you shoot a duck with a chilled load of 5's?

Screw'em

If you steal less than 1000 dollars from a store in California, you get a pass. Get caught hunting with lead bullets get a fine and lose your gun.

H. Babcock
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Mike78

Screw'em

If you steal less than 1000 dollars from a store in California, you get a pass. Get caught hunting with lead bullets get a fine and lose your gun.

Which is my point. I don't give a hoot, I'll kill what I want to kill, when I want to kill. All to eat.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
A man should never be fined for feeding his family.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1badf350, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 61 invisible), 2,546 guests, and 1,352 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,469
Posts18,471,408
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.