-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Assuming your doc knows how to do it, the anterior approach is the by far preferable technique. The other is the lateral approach. The former is quicker, results in less tissue disruption and blood loss, and a faster recovery, while the latter seems to allow more hip dislocation later on sending you painfully back to the ER.

As one who had my right done about four years ago with the anterior approach, and who spent my career at the head of the OR table, giving anesthesia, I can confidently say this.

Two caveats: 1) your ortho doc may not do this approach and 2) it’s possible there is a technical reason making the lateral approach preferable for him. I don’t know what medical system you have access to but if time allows find an ortho who will do the anterior approach.

And finally, post-op is usually not very difficult relative to the size of the joint being replaced. They’ll get you up the day of surgery with a walker and from then on you walk, walk, walk.

Best to you.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
If you're interested in such things, google 'artificial hip' and look at the photos and drawings. It's amazing what all of this is and how it works. Of course the photos over simplify what's actually going on in there.

[Linked Image from ars.els-cdn.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Assuming your doc knows how to do it, the anterior approach is the by far preferable technique. The other is the lateral approach. The former is quicker, results in less tissue disruption and blood loss, and a faster recovery, while the latter seems to allow more hip dislocation later on sending you painfully back to the ER.

As one who had my right done about four years ago with the anterior approach, and who spent my career at the head of the OR table, giving anesthesia, I can confidently say this.

Two caveats: 1) your ortho doc may not do this approach and 2) it’s possible there is a technical reason making the lateral approach preferable for him. I don’t know what medical system you have access to but if time allows find an ortho who will do the anterior approach.

And finally, post-op is usually not very difficult relative to the size of the joint being replaced. They’ll get you up the day of surgery with a walker and from then on you walk, walk, walk.

Best to you.

I had the same procedure. My orthopedic surgeon explained in my case they only make one bigger joint than the one I received and I would have had the lateral procedure if that was the joint used. Also replacing a replacement hip is done laterally as per my dr.

You get about a week head start in getting back to normalcy with anterior. I was driving in 2 weeks. Another option if your dr does it is robotic surgery. My 50 year old brother in law got a hip that way. He was back to office work in a week, and also driving. Technology is rapidly changing for the better at least as far as hips go. When my dad got his 20 years ago he spent 6 weeks in a chair, no weight bearing. Glad those days are gone.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Whelenman
surgery! For those who have had it what were your long term limitations after recovery?

Denny

They want me to stay off horseback.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mike_S
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Best to you.

I had the same procedure. My orthopedic surgeon explained in my case they only make one bigger joint than the one I received and I would have had the lateral procedure if that was the joint used. Also replacing a replacement hip is done laterally as per my dr.

You get about a week head start in getting back to normalcy with anterior. I was driving in 2 weeks. Another option if your dr does it is robotic surgery. My 50 year old brother in law got a hip that way. He was back to office work in a week, and also driving. Technology is rapidly changing for the better at least as far as hips go. When my dad got his 20 years ago he spent 6 weeks in a chair, no weight bearing. Glad those days are gone.

Size could be the technical reason to prefer the lateral approach.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Probably stuu you weren't going to do anyway. Run a 10k, anything involving jumping.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (16gage, 160user, 16penny, 1lessdog, 10ring1, 007FJ, 48 invisible), 2,912 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,491
Posts18,490,394
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.