Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sourdough44
Yep, remove some restrictions, allow leghold traps. Idaho may already, just saying. With a longer season, allowing trapping, the next step would be targeted bounties in problem areas, those numbers will fall.

In WI 80% or so were caught with traps, the MB-750 the premiere choice.

https://idfg.idaho.gov/sites/default/files/seasons-rules-big-game-2021-wolf.pdf

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Colorado is screwed.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They're in the Flat Tops?

Wow, that's a shame. Wish they were in Steamboat Springs Old Town. Or Vile. Or, or or.

I used to be "reasonable" and thought it was cool woofs were repopulating from Canada according to Diane Boyd. Figured we'd get to a nice small number to establish a population that would survive and not be endangered. 30 years on, dang, that's what happens when you're reasonable and zealots lie to your face. And no, while I've seen plenty of tracks and heard a few, I've only seen one and there was no chance of a shot, it was like 700 yards.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Allow trapping
Allow baiting and shooting 24/7/365
250$ bounty and allow the hunter/trapper to sell the fur

Wolves will be gone fast

Hunt...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are ways to give a hunter better odds in difficult terrain.

ALASKA
[Linked Image from i0.wp.com]
[Linked Image from mps110.files.wordpress.com]
[Linked Image from shannynmoore.files.wordpress.com]

IDAHO HUNTERS

IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by ihookem
Originally Posted by sourdough44

A 2 prong drag on a 10’ chain.

SOurdough, I have not heard from you in years. I am glad you are still well. As for the pic of the trap, that is the best by far. From trapping coons and rats I learned long ago, a trap is quiet, it is incredibly patient,,, and has 24/7/365 to wait. While us hunters want to see action in a few hours.. I set a trap and go to bed . The trap does the work for me. I just decided tonight that I am going to start trapping fox. I am so tired of fox on my cam almost every night, and I love rabbit hunting and very seldom even see them anymore. Way too many varmints out there.

A 750 or Alaskan #9 are a good ticket but given the terrain and snow depths a good snare man would be more effective by far. Over fresh kills snares can be set back along the incoming trails and multiple catches are far more likely.
The damage the wolves do there and now in Wyoming and Colorado, anywhere for that matter, is done mostly in the spring when the pack hunts hard for the pups, they decimate the newborn ungulates. An elk or deer calf is hardly a meal for one wolf not to mention a pack of 80plus pound carnivores.
I am very remote in Northern MN and have seen what they can do to a moose and deer herd. Terrible. Seen and listened to a pack tear into a birthing cow moose killing calf and fawn. Ugly thing to listen to.
I have the wolf pack cross the lake ice here in broad daylight and see them often enough. I can tell you were I allowed to take a shot I may get one or two but they would never cross in daylight again. Very smart and adaptive animals.
You good folks in the west have a serious problem coming with those wolves. ANY way possible get ahead of it.
A last note, I know a few pilots who fly for oil and mineral companies up across northern Canada and parts farther up.
Any of them can tell you of the killing fields in the winter on lakes where wolves catch gathered caribou. Wolves do kill for fun when the opportunity arises don’t let anyone tell you differently.

Osky,

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'am farther east than Idaho in Michigan went and sold my property in Michigan's UP 330 acres because of the wolves.....there needed to be a hunt and or trapping at least 10 years ago....it was a joke the attempt at a very limited hunt several years back and not even in my area.....only 43 out of the quote of 80 were shot....
Deer numbers have plummeted I would only see tracks on less than halve of the property last year ....my property locks in 10 sq. miles no one had access to accept me.....one hunting blind I haven't see a deer track for the past 10 years because of wolves....in that blind in the passed I shot many large bucks....
I don't mind that there are wolves if I was allowed to harvest some to help keep the population in check.....
Its not only the deer population that has been decimated by wolves all animals have been wiped out or are at very low numbers....there's miles of trails that grouse are no longer seen at all because of high wolf populations....
Would trap every fall-winter I went from 80-100 coyotes with little to no wolf sight to 15-20 coyotes in the same area catching several wolves....

Q
qwk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Q
Originally Posted by CBB
Allow trapping

Wolves will be gone fast
Your idea didn’t work in the slightest.

There has been a $500 bill reimbursement for wolves in Idaho for years. You keep the fur. Hunting is also allowed 24/7/365 nowadays, and has been like that on private property for years.

When they upped the reimbursement to $2500 a few months ago in some units, more people got off the couch, but it really didn’t put a dent in the population.

There is a reason poison was needed last time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by qwk
Originally Posted by CBB
Allow trapping

Wolves will be gone fast

There has been a $500 bill reimbursement for wolves in Idaho for years. You keep the fur. Hunting is also allowed 24/7/365 nowadays, and has been like that on private property for years.

When they upped the reimbursement to $2500 a few months ago in some units, more people got off the couch, but it really didn’t put a dent in the population.

Yep. like qwk stated, you can do all of the above.

Even though many people say the wolf population is growing like crazy and nobody can kill them, I know a few guys who have schedules and live right in wolf country that allows them to hunt and trap most of the winter. Some do quite well considering wolves are spread thin over a lot of hard-to-reach country.

One guy, I know, has trapped 38 in 4 years. Not sure how he did last winter, but I'd bet the number is likely well over 40 now. My cousin shot 4 out of a pack of 6 over 2 weeks when they showed up on his ranch last winter. A suppressor and being able to shoot 400 plus yards made the difference.

There are guys that have pretty much taken to just trapping and targeting wolves as their preferred type of hunting. Being able to access wolf country and having the time, energy, skill and $, to do it is a big factor.

Last edited by Lonny; 01/21/22.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by qwk
Originally Posted by CBB
Allow trapping

Wolves will be gone fast

Close but not quite. State law prevails and that strictly prohibits night hunting. The IDFG can't overrule that one. That's reason the IDFG got so much negative press a couple years ago when they used sharp shooters to kill about 200 elk on private land to thin out the elk. They weren't able to open it for hunting because the elk were only moving in at night and state law prohibits night time hunting. Only the legislature can change that rule.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Great snare info. here.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

A friend of mine who hunts wolves advised you can get a permit for a thermal scope for hunting . Im checking with IDFG next week to verify. If so can open up hunting option s for wolves.

Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by qwk
Originally Posted by CBB
Allow trapping

Wolves will be gone fast

Close but not quite. State law prevails and that strictly prohibits night hunting. The IDFG can't overrule that one. That's reason the IDFG got so much negative press a couple years ago when they used sharp shooters to kill about 200 elk on private land to thin out the elk. They weren't able to open it for hunting because the elk were only moving in at night and state law prohibits night time hunting. Only the legislature can change that rule.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, you can hunt wolves at night(spotlights/nightvision optics) with written permission from landowner or signed permission by F&G head honcho, when on public.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Lonny
Yes, you can hunt wolves at night(spotlights/nightvision optics) with written permission from landowner or signed permission by F&G head honcho, when on public.
You're right. I missed that part. I wonder what it takes to get permission from the IDFG on public land, or if it's possible at all.

Hunting Hours: A hunter may take wolves outside of hunting
hours, only if:
• On private land, the hunter is the landowner or has
written permission from the landowner to hunt outside of
hunting hours.
• On public land (government-owned land), the hunter has
obtained a permit from IDFG to hunt outside of hunting
hours. IDFG permits may be obtained from Regional
Offices. See page 98 for public lands closed to hunting

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 66 invisible), 2,475 guests, and 1,342 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,446
Posts18,470,968
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.