Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Huntaholic
Ive entered competition hunts with that female against folks I had never met before and when they found out what dog I was hunting, were ready to sign the card and withdraw on the spot! That's how good she was. Id give my left nut, hell at this age Id give both my nuts to have that dog back again. In an entire lifetime a man is lucky to get one, MAYBE two dogs that are that good, unfortunately Ive already had mine so I quit the game.

I hear that Sir... and I get it. You have my respect for knowing how fortunate you were.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

GB1

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Roll with the breeding. You are clearly a dog guy that understands the two breeds in question very well. You know want you want......Breed for it and see what happens. My question is, how many pups are you going to keep to determine the outcome of the breeding? Although rural folks would likely be interested in such a cross. Just keep in mind that older pups/full grown dogs are a bit harder to place. I’d consult with your Vet on the timing. Let us know how it goes.

I wonder if a Catahoula would fit the bill without mixing the two different breeds. Just a thought.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
No offense Cash, but I don’t get the everyone needs to breed their dogs. Everybody’s dog is the “smartest damn thing they ever saw” or is “so pretty” or most often they spent stupid money and now try to recoup by shidting out a litter of some boutique made up bullshidt.

Unless a guy has a working line of dogs and is breeding responsibly for those traits, hounds, guards, cattle dogs, etc it’s fugking stupid.

The shelters are full to overflowing and dogs are getting dumped off and abandoned all the time.

The anthropomorphism these days really astounds me. Can’t cut the balls off Fido because the owner projects themself into the fugking dog.

Abso fugking lutely.
AKC and pretty dog breeders that think they have a good dog because it prances around a ring have fugked up more breeds than parvo.

Still, at least cash is trying to make a dog that’ll work better. Will it work? Who the hell knows!

I get it guys...

If was ONLY living on the Bay... I would have CBRs and be done with anything else. I am that certain of the breed.

But WV is a different ball of string and that is why I am trying what I am trying... if the crossbred fails it is on me... if I have to dispatch animal with failed genetics et al... I have already thought of that.

WV is brutal as fugg... I expect to loose dogs to cyanide yote bait, neighbors that will kill loose dogs (we are miles from neighbors)... yotes, cats... stuff happens.

I treat my animals very very well, but life is not always a picnic. Just a fact.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
In answer to your original question, I would wait at least another cycle. Let her be fully mature. More chance of healthy pups and less trouble birthing for the mama dog

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
I wonder if a Catahoula would fit the bill without mixing the two different breeds. Just a thought.

Just Googled... looks like an interesting breed... bigger, but on more mellow land like your zone I could see that breed as highly useful.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by saddlesore
In answer to your original question, I would wait at least another cycle. Let her be fully mature. More chance of healthy pups and less trouble birthing for the mama dog

^^^What he said^^^

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Why you want to breed a litter of mutts?

I knew this chit would come up... so here ya go.

The Sheppard is the smartest dog I have ever had... I could be in WV for a week and decide to come home... he has the intuition somehow to know I am inbound 4 hours before I get here (...so my wife tells me). Highly athletic and tough as a RR spike. BUT he has no nose what-so-ever... sight kills everything.

The Cur bitch (also purebred) is agile enough to kill squirrels and rabbits in the open... she pegged her first squirrel when she was 4 months. Her nose is uncanny... I say "she has a 2 mile nose".

Our EXTREMELY rural mountain land in WV required highly nimble dogs that can scent and guard against yotes, bear, bobcats and an occasional lion.

That is the plan... brains, agility and a strong nose and lacking fear... around 40-45 pounds.

What you want and what you’ll get are two different things because breeding for specific attributes takes a while….. you’re shooting for the attributes YOU want…. Mother nature doesn’t work that way. If it did, I’d go with the CBR and JRT……

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Mother nature doesn’t work that way. If it did, I’d go with the CBR and JRT……

Holy fugg that made me laugh... can you imagine?

A CBR digging a bear out of a winter den...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The question that remains is NOT if this crossbred does or does not make sense... I get it... some of y'all think it's a bad idea... and some of y'all afford me the respect and authority to do as I see fit with MY dogs... on MY land... without a 98 person Approval Committee and a 12 month .GOV application process... Thanks.

But is a 15 month old cur bitch (on her second season) and full bodied the past 4 months is ready to bred... or should I kick it one more heat.

While I appreciate all the insight... and pro and con opinions that was NOT my question.

Slum said yes. Anyone else concur or disagree? Thank you...

Yes. 2nd heat should be fine. Sorry we got sidetracked, but that tends to happen ya know.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've never seen much sense in breeding dogs...

But I can tell you, It's much safer than breeding cats.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by NDsnowman
Originally Posted by Nebraska
Sounds interesting. Breeding for specific qualities can take generations and lots of crosses so I'd try to find someone that's btdt to see which (dominant) qualities you're most likely to end up with unless you'd be happy with a pup outta them no matter what......

Unless we get some strange inbreed defect (that I am not thinking of)... either dog will be enhanced by attributes of the other.

Mountain Curs are dozens of breeds anyway "The Mountain Cur was brought to America nearly two hundred years ago from Europe by the colonizers of the mountains in Ohio, Virginia, Kentucky, and Tennessee, then later Arkansas and Oklahoma, to guard family and property as well as chase and tree game. These dogs enabled the colonizers to provide meat and pelts for personal use or trade, making them valuable in the frontier."

What Wikipedia does NOT say (political correctness, I reckon) is that the chitty Cur dogs that did NOT fetch game well... got eaten by starving settlers.

Short hair is the dominant gene... so we should have short hair dogs... possibly Aussie colors... hoping for the best.

I expect to lose dogs to the brutality of WV... cyanide bait for yotes is common place... 3-4 yotes against 1-2 dogs is futile. Early warning stuff so the rifle is always handy. Our land is far more remote and far more brutal than most can imagine... so please do not assume based on your location/situation.

I neighbor has 15-20 pound mountain feist dogs... it is hilarious to watch them torment black bear.

The enhancements you are talking about ate entirely possible. It is also just as likely that you may get the poorest qualities of both. For example: if you were able to cross breed a ape with a human you may end up with something that is as smart as a human and as strong as an ape. You also could end up with something as smart as an ape and as strong as a human.

I understand what you are trying to do, but it isn't necessarily as simple as you are making it.

I concur... and quite possible... we shall see.

Good luck with it!

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by P_Weed
I've never seen much sense in breeding dogs...

But I can tell you, It's much safer than breeding cats.

Yepp... cat breeding has cost me 1/2 a house... 1/2 a retirement... 1/2 of my stuff a couple of times... fugg a cat.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter

Just Googled... looks like an interesting breed... bigger, but on more mellow land like your zone I could see that breed as highly useful.

Cash, I’ve got one. Amazing dogs. Very athletic, smart, and tenacious. They aren’t much of a house pet, and don’t like being petted and what not. For the most part, they are a one family dog that likes to have a job. I sure love mine, but I will say they aren’t for the average dog owner.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I’d suggest a long haired, short tailed afghanistany weasel hound.
Ideal for your area and purpose.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MadMooner
No offense Cash, but I don’t get the everyone needs to breed their dogs. Everybody’s dog is the “smartest damn thing they ever saw” or is “so pretty” or most often they spent stupid money and now try to recoup by shidting out a litter of some boutique made up bullshidt.

Unless a guy has a working line of dogs and is breeding responsibly for those traits, hounds, guards, cattle dogs, etc it’s fugking stupid.

The shelters are full to overflowing and dogs are getting dumped off and abandoned all the time.

The anthropomorphism these days really astounds me. Can’t cut the balls off Fido because the owner projects themself into the fugking dog.

Abso fugking lutely.
AKC and pretty dog breeders that think they have a good dog because it prances around a ring have fugked up more breeds than parvo.

Still, at least cash is trying to make a dog that’ll work better. Will it work? Who the hell knows!

I get it guys...

If was ONLY living on the Bay... I would have CBRs and be done with anything else. I am that certain of the breed.

But WV is a different ball of string and that is why I am trying what I am trying... if the crossbred fails it is on me... if I have to dispatch animal with failed genetics et al... I have already thought of that.

WV is brutal as fugg... I expect to loose dogs to cyanide yote bait, neighbors that will kill loose dogs (we are miles from neighbors)... yotes, cats... stuff happens.

I treat my animals very very well, but life is not always a picnic. Just a fact.

Literally everything you listed could be handled by a mutt from the pound lol

I know I’m being kind of a dick, but I’m not sure what you think you’re going to accomplish

MAGA
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
The question that remains is NOT if this crossbred does or does not make sense... I get it... some of y'all think it's a bad idea... and some of y'all afford me the respect and authority to do as I see fit with MY dogs... on MY land... without a 98 person Approval Committee and a 12 month .GOV application process... Thanks.

But is a 15 month old cur bitch (on her second season) and full bodied the past 4 months is ready to bred... or should I kick it one more heat.

While I appreciate all the insight... and pro and con opinions that was NOT my question.

Slum said yes. Anyone else concur or disagree? Thank you...

I’ll concur, but only bred one dog, one time.

Now I just enjoy what they are.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Dogs didn’t used to be “breeds”, they were “types”, bred for ability.

“Breeds” came about as a fad in the late 19th Century, in every case inbred for a distinctive, uniform appearance.

The best types we have left were those still bred for ability, looks be damned except incidentally where it helped the breed accomplish its purpose.

Jack Russels were like that until that TV show, came in different shapes and sizes. Australian heelers were another. Kelpies still are, the breeder associations rejecting ANY standards beyond ability.

Designer dogs could work, the best dog I’ve had is in my avatar, a generic heeler/sheepdog Texas ranch mutt.

My sister purpose bred her heeler to an Aussie, the pups turned out great. One went to my other sister who has a heritage sheep business. Another went to a lady with a specialty beef operation, likely saved her life one time when it drove off an aggressive heifer that had her cornered in a stall.

Give it a shot, it might work.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by jackmountain

What in the fugg is a weasel hound? Your kidding right?

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C

Literally everything you listed could be handled by a mutt from the pound lol

Horse chit...

Pound dogs here are laberdoodles mixed with peekaboo... psychotic as Happy Camper on acid.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by jackmountain

What in the fugg is a weasel hound? Your kidding right?

Yeah, but probably better than a labradoodle?

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 69 invisible), 2,551 guests, and 1,364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,447
Posts18,470,977
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.