Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by horse1
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
The name dropping is interesting, but do any of these guys hunt? I need a review from a hunter's perspective. I don't even know (nor care) what PRS is. I want to know if these things are durable and usable in the field. Things like eye relief and eye box, reticle nuances, drop test and shock durability, water/fog proof, resistance to temp extremes, dust and grit resistance, etc. All I can really find on these things are reviews from guys who seldom seem to leave the target range.

Buddy has a 2.5-25x42. He initially mounted it on his NULA 300WinMag, a bit under 8# all-up IIRC. I shot the rifle w/that scope atop shooting 210 ABLR projectiles @ 2950fps. Recoil was "stout". I shot it from 10x up to 25x, from 200yds out to 600yds. I had no trouble finding the image, nor "staying in the image" shooting prone out to 600yds. Nothing came close to touching my brow during recoil. I didn't actually measure eye-relief, but, whatever it is, it's "enough" on a lightweight w/significant and snappy recoil.

The scope now resides atop his 1:7 240Wby NULA and it's a hoot to shoot.

The only feature that might give me pause would be the limited mounting space, especially on a long action, it works on his 2 rifles, but, there's almost 0 room fore/aft to adjust eye relief. On a short action it would bother me less, and if you don't mind a rail, then it's a non-issue altogether.

A picitinny rail solves all mounting issues.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by dave7mm

I've looked a few times and can't find it. How much internal adjustment does a 3-12x42 Klassic have?

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

I agree here. March scopes are nice but not, in my opinion, optimal for hunting. Schmidt and Bender followed by Swarovski for hunting scopes.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

FFP only though, right?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by jwp475
The name dropping is interesting, but do any of these guys hunt? I need a review from a hunter's perspective. I don't even know (nor care) what PRS is. I want to know if these things are durable and usable in the field. Things like eye relief and eye box, reticle nuances, drop test and shock durability, water/fog proof, resistance to temp extremes, dust and grit resistance, etc. All I can really find on these things are reviews from guys who seldom seem to leave the target range.

Buddy has a 2.5-25x42. He initially mounted it on his NULA 300WinMag, a bit under 8# all-up IIRC. I shot the rifle w/that scope atop shooting 210 ABLR projectiles @ 2950fps. Recoil was "stout". I shot it from 10x up to 25x, from 200yds out to 600yds. I had no trouble finding the image, nor "staying in the image" shooting prone out to 600yds. Nothing came close to touching my brow during recoil. I didn't actually measure eye-relief, but, whatever it is, it's "enough" on a lightweight w/significant and snappy recoil.

The only feature that might give me pause would be the limited mounting space, especially on a long action, it works on his 2 rifles, but, there's almost 0 room fore/aft to adjust eye relief. On a short action it would bother me less, and if you don't mind a rail, then it's a non-issue altogether.

Eyebox has nothing to do with mounting issues.

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by jwp475

Eyebox has nothing to do with mounting issues.

Never said that. How did you get that out of my post?

Last edited by jwp475; 01/23/22.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Guess it was a misinterpreted inference then. One of the recurring complaints about this particular March scope is the tight eye box. I thought you were inferring that a rail solved this issue.

Last edited by SDHNTR; 01/23/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

FFP only though, right?

Yes sir .
Unless you get the Summit.
Dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How far are you planning on shooting?

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

FFP only though, right?

Yes sir .
Unless you get the Summit.
Dave

Which takes you down to 1” and 10x max. Not gonna cut it.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
How far are you planning on shooting?

Longer than close, closer than long.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most modern rifle cartridges will take you to 400 yards without the need for a knob. With a little bit of practice 500 shouldn't be a problem as well. All without clicking and dicken.
I personally don't care for knobs on a hunting rifle scope. Don't get me wrong I really appreciate my March scopes for Target work they do what I need and they do very well out to a thousand yards. But when you're talking about hunting I'll stick with what I recommended up top.
The Schmidts are built like tanks. Have second to none optics.Are first focal plane which gives you an edge in the dark. And if an unusual situation did occur where you needed to have service you send it to Virginia.

dave

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks, But this is far from my first rodeo. I know exactly what I want and need, and that occasionally includes dials.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

FFP only though, right?

That's part of what makes them a great hunting scope. The
FFP P3 is about perfect for general hunting and longer range shots on game. Spent some time with one this fall and really liked it. I wish they had more adjustment range on them, but, depending on your cartridge and desired distance, they'd be fine for anything but further than what most guys shoot at game.

The glass is superb. Excellent late and early scopes.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Starbuck

FFP only though, right?

That's part of what makes them a great hunting scope. The
FFP P3 is about perfect for general hunting and longer range shots on game. Spent some time with one this fall and really liked it. I wish they had more adjustment range on them, but, depending on your cartridge and desired distance, they'd be fine for anything but further than what most guys shoot at game.

The glass is superb. Excellent late and early scopes.

You can go at great distance with the dial and reticle combo

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Starbuck
Agreed.
The P3 would be a excellent option.
dave

[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Marley7x57

I agree here. March scopes are nice but not, in my opinion, optimal for hunting. Schmidt and Bender followed by Swarovski for hunting scopes.

What exactly prevents March scopes from being "optimal for hunting"? Are there specific items or just a general fact-free statement?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by FTR_Shooter
Originally Posted by Marley7x57

What exactly prevents March scopes from being "optimal for hunting"? Are there specific items or just a general fact-free statement?

Well, I was not trying for a general fact-free statement but it appears I was amiss in saying what was said!

I have had limited opportunity to get my hands on March scopes. I like the quality of them however, they ones I had seen were more of a target style/type scope. What I do see now is that the low power scopes have a small front objective which is not good for early and late time hunting and the higher power scopes are, well pretty darn high. So, 3-24x42, 4.5-28x52, 5-40x56, 4-40x52, and 6-60x56. All the reticles seem pretty busy as well. I have not seen much use for anything near a 24 power scope and certainly nothing higher, in my hunting situations. Not saying they will not work but, it seems like a 4-12x42 is a better choice or a 4-16x50 for my hunting which is shooting at distances than 400 yards. Even my varmint shooting is at distances less than 400. So generally, for me - get a Schmidt and Bender or a Swarovski with a simple reticle. Unless you're shooting a long ways off....but even then I would probably look at Schmidt & Bender PMII.

I do believe that March scopes are of excellent quality, just nothing fitting my needs at this time and that is the only reason I do not own one.

Last edited by Marley7x57; 01/23/22.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

I have killed a dozen or so elk, bears, coues... using March scoped rifles. I have been the spotter on 50+ more. Most were with a 5-50 x56 model. Ranges from 200 to 1100 yards. Most on a 7 RUM but quite a few on 708, 270 WSM, 6.5 Cm, and a few others. All 2nd focal plane. Never have seen an issue. None returned for warranty. Formy is the only one I've heard talk smack about them. They apparently don't work on military rifles, only civilian...

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by dennisinaz

I have killed a dozen or so elk, bears, coues... using March scoped rifles. I have been the spotter on 50+ more. Most were with a 5-50 x56 model. Ranges from 200 to 1100 yards. Most on a 7 RUM but quite a few on 708, 270 WSM, 6.5 Cm, and a few others. All 2nd focal plane. Never have seen an issue. None returned for warranty. Formy is the only one I've heard talk smack about them. They apparently don't work on military rifles, only civilian...

Forms also claimed that he'd rather trust his life to a Bushnell than a S&B. I posted that on Snipers hide and they laughed. Especially Lowlight owner and former Marine Corp Sniper.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

633 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 67 invisible), 2,106 guests, and 1,288 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,905
Posts18,479,395
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.