Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Terrible, that poor girl.

Was she a petite gal? If a 42 pound yote x2 can do that, imagine what wolfs are capable of.

My Rez dog weighs 42 pounds, I consider him an ankle bitter.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SandBilly
But we’ve taken their land.
well... you live somewhere ,give yours back too to the coyotes

NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Several years ago, my son bought me a copy of Dan Flores’ Coyote America. Good book that tells all about them, their history, the Indian legends, and their relationship with modern folks. He gets a bit soft on them, has “forgiven” them for quite a while I suppose, but a major point he makes is that you can’t wipe them out because their natural response to pressure is to have more pups. I think the best we can do is to keep them “honest” by not allowing them to become complacent in our presence, in other words take a poke at them at every opportunity, so they always fear us.

The only ones I’ve seen in this area myself were while driving, either at night when I was still working, or on my way home. They’re all over suburban Northern Virginia. I’ve seen them in the town of Herndon, and once saw a really big one walking down the sidewalk in Ashburn like he owned the place, hunting housecats I suppose. My few attempts to call them in have so far failed, yielding only red foxes, which I find to be pretty stupid critters, pitiful really. I’ve “forgiven” the foxes because they’re no challenge at all, and stink to boot. When I run a camera in the yard, mostly what I catch are foxes, possums, and coons. No coyotes yet, but a few years ago my neighbor saw one three mornings in a row, trotting up the side of my yard. It’s not uncommon to hear them if I’m outside at night. There are a lot of people who walk along the river on the local WMA, often with small tasty dogs, and I’ve never heard of any attacks or even sightings, so the ones that live there must be pretty “honest”. Gonna get out soon and try to help them stay that way. Right now the snow is glazed over so badly just standing up is a challenge.

What fresh Hell is this?
E
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
E
What a sad one. At least she was rescued and not completely killed by the coyote.

Whenever I come across them, I never missed out on them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I had 3 try to lure my dog out of the yard right after we moved into our new house. Most of the lots in the neighborhood were empty its not in city limits and I had a safe angle so grabbed my faux ti 223 ai. The one in closest saw me come out and took off running but made the mistake to turn and look back for a second about 300 yards out. I put a 75g amax though the top of his lungs.

You could see the daylight though the hole and the damn thing got back up and fought with the neighbors 2 pitbulls. In retrospect I should have shot the pitbulls too. I walk out to watch the show and took my 351pd 22 mag snubbing so neighbors wouldn't see the gun. I capped the coyote in the head with a gold dot and then loaded up and went to find the other coyotes.

Bb

Friend of mine just told me he had the same thing happen the other day. He and his dog were walking his place when he spotted 3 coyotes. One of the coyotes started milling around scratching dirt and making a commotion while the other two remained semi hidden. They were trying to make a meal out of Phideaux.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Before everyone gets all worked up about hating coyotes, remember that they eat lots of cats. So they aren't all bad.

J
JHM Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I pull up to one of my hunting spots near a peanut field and spotted a Coyote standing at the edge just looking at me. I eased back to my truck to get my rifle but he slipped into the woods before I could get it out of the case. He was a big one and by the way we locked eyes I don’t think he was afraid of me.
I now carry my S&W M&P .40 with me everywhere I go on this property. Hunting or not.

Last edited by JHM; 01/23/22.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

I never pass up the opportunity to kill a coyote...pup or adult

On my desert exploring trips...my usual 'yote hardware is my Ruger American 300 BLK

If you never want to see a 'yote bring a long gun

These guys are a target of opportunity..Utah used to have Gov't trappers fly & aerial shoot 'yotes

They have since gone to a $50/head bounty systems by resident hunters

Yes they require you to jump hoops for your $50...I'll just hang 'em on a fence line or post....someone will take 'em

Coyotes are smart...you'll never kill em all...If they'd mind their own business and stick to a mouse/rabbit diet

That would be fine....but birthing livestock or wildlife babies the lead is flying in their direction

Pic...sure coyotes live in this area...but they are in prob more common in our backyards waiting for an easy meal such as a cat/small dog

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
I am on a local forum and last week we got to discussing coyotes. And I said, "Shoot 'em on sight no questions asked." The Asheville Libs were horrified. One gal said, "If we become scared of coyotes, then we have been made fearful. If you think about harming a poor coyote, then you have been made violent. Let us not live lives of fear and violence. Let us live in harmony with the coyotes."

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by simonkenton7
I am on a local forum and last week we got to discussing coyotes. And I said, "Shoot 'em on sight no questions asked." The Asheville Libs were horrified. One gal said, "If we become scared of coyotes, then we have been made fearful. If you think about harming a poor coyote, then you have been made violent. Let us not live lives of fear and violence. Let us live in harmony with the coyotes."

this is prob the same dumm azz that voted for biden & is in the 28% approval of biden

Sure hope she is sterile & can not reproduce

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

If you see 1 Coyote, there are 10 there, I kill more Coyotes than the average guy does and i never run out of Coyotes, killed one about 30 min. ago. i picked up a illegal women, from one of our deer blinds, that had bite marks on her legs from what she said was Lobo's she said the deer blind saved her life. that was a couple of years ago. if you see them you have to many of them, shoot them. Rio7

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by 19352012
Before everyone gets all worked up about hating coyotes, remember that they eat lots of cats. So they aren't all bad.

They don’t kill near as many cats as they do smaller dogs because dogs are so much easier to catch…
That being said, if a predator of ANY type doesn’t run off at first sight of a human, it needs to be killed…I think everybody is aware that when bad behavior is tolerated, it only gets worse…

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
Originally Posted by 19352012

They don’t kill near as many cats as they do smaller dogs because dogs are so much easier to catch…
That being said, if a predator of ANY type doesn’t run off at first sight of a human, it needs to be killed…I think everybody is aware that when bad behavior is tolerated, it only gets worse…

Everybody except The Left…….

What fresh Hell is this?
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I had 3 try to lure my dog out of the yard right after we moved into our new house. Most of the lots in the neighborhood were empty its not in city limits and I had a safe angle so grabbed my faux ti 223 ai. The one in closest saw me come out and took off running but made the mistake to turn and look back for a second about 300 yards out. I put a 75g amax though the top of his lungs.

You could see the daylight though the hole and the damn thing got back up and fought with the neighbors 2 pitbulls. In retrospect I should have shot the pitbulls too. I walk out to watch the show and took my 351pd 22 mag snubbing so neighbors wouldn't see the gun. I capped the coyote in the head with a gold dot and then loaded up and went to find the other coyotes.

Bb

Hard to be discreet when firing a 22magnum revolver. They might not have seen it but they dammed sure heard it.

Bout the logic I expected for someone considering to shoot a pet dog of a neighbor.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most humans tend to think they’re at the top of the food chain, till they’re not.

That’s a sad story.

Black Cows Matter!
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I truly believe all predators serves a purpose; even if that purpose is just to keep us on our toes. That includes coyotes. I have shot a bunch of them but I have left a bunch of them alone. When I see one out in the field, catching mice, I see him as a valuable asset. When I think there are getting to be too many or they are too brazen, I'll shoot a couple. Otherwise, they are just like the skunks badgers, cougars, weasels, marten, bears, and other predators. They are part of the ecology of our area.
Having said this, I also think it is important for one to be aware, there can be danger and one should be prepared. Bear spray, a walking stick, or, when possible, a pistol, will help keep you safe. A person needs to be able to look after themselves. This is even more true in settled areas where you don't have the option of shooting every thing you see.
During the summer months, when our campground is full, the coyotes, and other predators, have to learn, I'm a little less tolerant. Still, hearing the coyotes at night is part of the camping experience! GD

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by shootem

Note that that was 12+ years ago.

Are there more recent ones?

I can say that I've had well fed coyotes literally stroll down the street in front of my house and they weren't afraid at all. Also have had bobcats and javelina here.

Retired cat herder.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Here is something I have noticed—wolves in Northwestern Ontario are much wilder than wolves in Minnesota and Wisconsin. And I think I know why. Wolves in NW Ontario are trapped and hunted regularly—they are really spooky.
A couple of my buddies in Wisconsin got in on the wolf hunt there—they where very successful—now these guys hunt coyotes also. I told them if the tree huggers would allow the season to be open for more than a season or two their success rate would plummet down to what they have with coyotes now.
Wolves in the boreal forest were never in any danger of extinction— not even with arial gunning or poison.

I didn’t read the link but the girl folk singer in New Brunswick that got killed I know was really small—didn’t even come close to hundred pounds.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I quit killing them decades ago, It's much more entertaining to just watch them especially in family groups.
IDK about eastern mixed dogs but I don't believe most of the BS I read about western coyotes. It's just that, BS!
Neat critters IMO..

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Weird part is, we don't even hardly have coyotes here anymore. My area of colorado is turning into a wasteland...no deer, no elk, no coyotes, no rabbits...but we do have lions.... I used to drive to wyoming to call coyotes. You'd be lucky to call one a winter here.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

725 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 1234, 10ring1, 77 invisible), 2,984 guests, and 1,537 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,737
Posts18,475,977
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.