Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I have Henry Single Shot in 357 Magnum. Is it feasible to rechamber to 350 Legend? I would primarily use it for cast bullets. Would twist rates be compatible?

Thanks for your input.

Centex Bill

GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Centex Bill
I have Henry Single Shot in 357 Magnum. Is it feasible to rechamber to 350 Legend? I would primarily use it for cast bullets. Would twist rates be compatible?

Thanks for your input.

Centex Bill

Why no recharger to 357 Maximum at least it uses the same bullets instead of .355 for the Legend. Plus the Maximum holds more powder

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jwp475

Thanks for your input.

Centex Bill

Why no recharger to 357 Maximum at least it uses the same bullets instead of .355 for the Legend. Plus the Maximum holds more powder

My brother changed a Ruger #3 from mag to max. Made a really nice little rifle.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
And then there's the extractor to address in a changeover to the rimless cartridge. Not to mention the versatility of using .357 Magnums in the Maximum chamber if you had/wanted to.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by jwp475

Thanks for your input.

Centex Bill

Are you sure the Max holds more powder? I would say it is possible but you would have to change the extractor. And the legend can also use .357 diameter bullets, bore groove diameters are the same.

Last edited by rickt300; 01/24/22.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, it's been done. Here is one example:

Rechamber .357 Max to .350 Legend

God Bless America
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'd rechamber to .357 Maximum and keep the rimmed casing. I think they are less picky to reload.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
If you're wanting to change over a single shot 357
magnum, the rimmed 357 maximum is the way to go.
The re-chambering is the only thing that needs to be
done to the rifle with the appropriate reamer.
Will still accurately use the magnums.
I just did this last year to an H&R Handi for a
nephew and took a buck with it this last season.

If an AR is the chosen firearm, the Legend that's
specifically designed for ARs is the way to go
instead of the rimmed maximum

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Go with the 357 Maximum it my be .1" shorter than the 350 Legend but you can have the chamber cut long so bullets can be seated out longer.....its the only way to go with a Single shot rifle....

Cutting Edge Bullets 140 gr turned down the first two bands to .348" and seat the bullet out farther gain case capacity more than a 350 Legend......

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The .350 Legend only makes sense in the AR platform and MAYBE a bolt action rifle. Any other platform the .357 Maximum is the king for straight-walled .35 caliber cartridges. With the chamber and throat cut correctly, as coyotewacker points out above, the Max ends up with more case capacity. My 18" MGM Encore barrel pushes the Speer Hot Cor at 2000 fps with 30 gr. of AA1680 behind it. And that's not the maximum load - just the one that shoots the best. They're pretty much ballistic twins, but in a break action single shot that's already a .357 Mag, the .357 Max is the easy conversion.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by reivertom
I'd rechamber to .357 Maximum and keep the rimmed casing. I think they are less picky to reload.

This 100%. The 350 legend headspaces off the case mouth. Case length is crucial. Too long and you can have lock up issues. Too short will effort accuracy and if bad enough primer strike. I experienced the lock up issue in my 450 bushmaster Encore with long brass. The Maximum is a rimmed 350 legend with a good selection of bullets.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They really screwed the pooch on the 350 Legend imo. Headspacing on the case mouth sucks.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fireball2
They really screwed the pooch on the 350 Legend imo. Headspacing on the case mouth sucks.

It's become a favored chambering here in Iowa. The guys here think it's some sort of new concept. They get a funny look on their faces when I tell them I've been killing Iowa whitetails with the .357 Max out of my Encore for over a decade now. "What's that? The .350 Legend is the best straight-walled cartridge there is!" For factory ammunition options, sure. But not for a handloader. Now that we've opened up to bottleneck cartridges .355-.500" diameter for regular gun season, the .350 Legend is suddenly the "youth and women's cartridge" because it "kicks like a .22. But don't trust it beyond 100 yards." And the old school shotgun slug preachers complain about how bad the Legend is because it wounds deer because it isn't a big enough bullet. I just stay out of those conversations...because I don't argue with idiots. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Fireball2

It's become a favored chambering here in Iowa. The guys here think it's some sort of new concept. They get a funny look on their faces when I tell them I've been killing Iowa whitetails with the .357 Max out of my Encore for over a decade now. "What's that? The .350 Legend is the best straight-walled cartridge there is!" For factory ammunition options, sure. But not for a handloader. Now that we've opened up to bottleneck cartridges .355-.500" diameter for regular gun season, the .350 Legend is suddenly the "youth and women's cartridge" because it "kicks like a .22. But don't trust it beyond 100 yards." And the old school shotgun slug preachers complain about how bad the Legend is because it wounds deer because it isn't a big enough bullet. I just stay out of those conversations...because I don't argue with idiots. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Selmer

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Following

It’s interesting on social media the 350 is the new Creedmore of the Midwest

I don’t have practical experience with the max but I assume if your not a “gun guy/ loader” it’s probably not too easy to buy your box of ammo 2 days before you head North

Both are good but possible exerated

Hank

Last edited by boatboy; 02/22/22.

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by boatboy
Both are good but possible exerated.

Nope - strictly PG.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
Originally Posted by boatboy
Both are good but possible exerated.

Nope - strictly PG.

Okay - DAAADD!!! smile
(Took a second)

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (160user, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 56 invisible), 2,289 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,516
Posts18,490,910
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.