Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Solenoid

My experience with MF tractors was jumping the solenoid on the little 235 we used to rake hay from when I was about 11 to 18 or so when I went to college. As stated, make sure it’s in neutral and maybe put your foot on the step and one hand on the wheel so that you can pull yourself up and out of the way real quick if you were careless. Lol

Had a mahindra at deer camp like that.

Turn the key on. Short the starter out with a screwdriver.
Fire right up.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jump across the two big bolts on the starter. If it turns over, it's in the elect. system. If it doesn't turn over, use battery cable from battery + to big bolt on starter (try each one separately. If it doesn't turn over, its the battery, the starter, or your not grounded. If it turns over, the big wire from the battery to the starter is bad.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have an 1825 which is similar. Several safety switches, tranny neutral, parking brake/brake, and seat. Must be in neutral, or clutch depressed, sitting in seat with brake and PTO engaged or not (clutch depressed if engaged). Having said all that, it sounds like a starter/solenoid issue.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bruinruin
Originally Posted by DryPowder
Do you have a service manual? I couldn't find a electrical schematic for free online.

I do. I'll be digging into it this evening.

If you can scan or to a good picture of the starting circuit I'll take a look at it.

This is pretty common on the 5203 John Deere's. You unplug a sensor and it will start.

I'm here to increase my social credit score and rub elbows with some of the highest rollers on the internet.
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Jump across the two big bolts on the starter. If it turns over, it's in the elect. system. If it doesn't turn over, use battery cable from battery + to big bolt on starter (try each one separately. If it doesn't turn over, its the battery, the starter, or your not grounded. If it turns over, the big wire from the battery to the starter is bad.

There aren't the typical 2 bolts on the starter, just 1, which is the positive lug. No negative wires to the starter at all. As near as I can tell, the ground is through the block. The large positive wire runs to the lug on the solenoid part of the starter and is hot at all times. I believe that the smaller (12 gauge?) wire that clips to the solenoid is probably the trigger from the ignition. I'll be testing this after work this evening.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by TheKid
My dad has a little NH that did the same thing a few years ago. We messed with it endlessly and never could figure it out. We ended up just putting a spade connector on the hot to the fuel solenoid and a jumper to the hot on the starter. Plug the fuel on and then touch the hot to the starter to turn it over. I’m sure it’s some safety dodad on his but we can’t figure it out.

ton my NH here is a circuit board under the hood near the hood hinge and behind the dash.

i had to put a hot jumper on my fuel solenoid because the board got hot and cut out. it is cheap but hard to get to. i have ran on the hot wire for 2 years.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'd put power to the smaller wire direct from battery just to see if that makes a difference.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Battery is fine. Solenoid seems built into the starter, so I can't jump it. It's got to be a bad safety switch or the solenoid/starter took a crap. I just ran it for an hour or two on Saturday. Went out yesterday to finish up and,...nothing.
Is this a gas tractor? IF so, and it has gears, can you get at it to have someone give you a pull to start it??

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Sounds like the starter needs rebuilt/replaced. I’ve also had a bad battery terminal give similar symptoms.
Give that starter a sharp whack with a hammer and see if it helps.

Do not whack a starter with a hammer. Unless you’re in a spot where you’re going to drive it to the shop to replace the starter.
Pretty much all starters have the field magnets glued to the inside of the housing. Hitting it with a hammer will most often knock them loose. You may be able to lightly tap one and get away with it, but why risk it?

Last edited by m_stevenson; 01/24/22.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Redneck
Battery is fine. Solenoid seems built into the starter, so I can't jump it. It's got to be a bad safety switch or the solenoid/starter took a crap. I just ran it for an hour or two on Saturday. Went out yesterday to finish up and,...nothing.
Is this a gas tractor? IF so, and it has gears, can you get at it to have someone give you a pull to start it??

Nope, diesel and hydrostatic.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Sounds like the starter needs rebuilt/replaced. I’ve also had a bad battery terminal give similar symptoms.
Give that starter a sharp whack with a hammer and see if it helps.

Do not whack a starter with a hammer. Unless you’re in a spot where you’re going to drive it to the shop to replace the starter.
Pretty much all starters have the field magnets glued to the inside of the housing. Hitting it with a hammer will most often knock them loose. You may be able to lightly tap one and get away with it, but why risk it?

Learned that lesson on a 4-wheeler I had. Sometimes a rap on the starter would get it going, but those raps got harder and more frequent, and magnet parts fell out when it was disassembled by the rebuilder.😳

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Scott, your plan to check voltage at the solenoid wire will probably be your best next step. It will definitely tell you which direction to continue the troubleshooting.

Last edited by m_stevenson; 01/24/22.

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
Scott, your plan to check voltage at the solenoid wire will probably be your best next step. It will definitely tell you which direction to continue the troubleshooting.

I think so too. A good signal there should eliminate the possibility of it being a safety switch problem.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Just getting voltage to the trigger wire might not be enough to trigger the solenoid. Wire it to something like a sealed beam headlight bulb that will draw a few amps of current. Any one of the safety switches in the circuit with a set of dirty contacts can reduce the current flow enough to get a click instead of a good starter engagement.

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
My little Massey is older, an 82. But I fought the dreaded single click for years. If I charged the battery it seemed to work ok. I found an article regarding this issue and installed a relay that kept the voltage up where it should be. A drop in voltage caused the click. It has worked great since I installed that relay on the starter. YMMV. Sorry I don’t have more detail as I’m not at home right now.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
My buddy has a NH 35 hp hydro. Every time I am up there, I forget a different safety interlock and have to get him to start the tractor for me.
Front PTO
Rear PTO
Range selector
Hydraulics

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DryPowder
Do you have a service manual? I couldn't find a electrical schematic for free online.

check scribd.com. they might have one but it also may be too new

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Redneck

Nope, diesel and hydrostatic.
Got it... Bummer.. Hope you get it fixed pronto..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldman03

There aren't the typical 2 bolts on the starter, just 1, which is the positive lug. No negative wires to the starter at all. As near as I can tell, the ground is through the block. The large positive wire runs to the lug on the solenoid part of the starter and is hot at all times. I believe that the smaller (12 gauge?) wire that clips to the solenoid is probably the trigger from the ignition. I'll be testing this after work this evening.

Yeah, some are like that. In this case, there is a metal strap from the solenoid to the starter. Apply 12v to the solenoid at the little wire. If it turns over, the wiring to the solenoid is the problem. Might be safety switch, ignition switch, etc. If the solenoid clicks, but starter doesn't turn over, then it's either the solenoid (they can click, but not make internal contact) or the starter. To check starter, take battery cable and hook battery + to the metal strap that goes from the solenoid to the starter. If the starter is good, that will turn it over. Be careful because if you touch anything other than the metal strap, it will arc, big time. Might have to stick old screwdriver in battery cable to touch metal strap on solenoid.

Make sure the tractor is not in gear, because you will be bypassing all the safety switches by using the battery cable. If in gear, the tractor will most likely move when the starter turns over.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
When my Mahindra did that, it was a safety switch under the seat.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (12344mag, 1234, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 160user, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,154 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,011
Posts18,481,517
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.