Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
"...and train all teachers and students in how to use it..."

User icon
The school did not have naloxone, which is known by the brand name Narcan. But now city officials are vowing to put it in all schools.
NATIONAL & WORLD NEWS
By DAVE COLLINS, Associated Press
Updated 19 hours ago
The death of a Connecticut seventh grader from an apparent fentanyl overdose has renewed calls for schools to carry the opioid antidote naloxone
HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — The death of a 13-year-old student who apparently overdosed on fentanyl at his Connecticut school has drawn renewed pleas for schools to stock the opioid antidote naloxone, as well as for training of both staffers and children on how to recognize and respond to overdoses.

The seventh grader died Jan. 15 after falling ill at a Hartford school that did not have naloxone on hand. City officials vowed Wednesday to put the antidote in all city schools, as part of a wider drug use and overdose prevention strategy.

“Naloxone should be available in all schools, and there should be education on signs and symptoms of overdose and how to use this,” said Dr. Craig Allen, vice president of addiction services for Hartford HealthCare’s Behavioral Health Network. “Unfortunately, a horrible incident like this happens and suddenly everyone’s vision is 20/20.”

Hartford Mayor Luke Bronin said that because of the student's young age, an opioid overdose did not immediately come to mind when the school nurse and first responders, who did have naloxone, treated him.

That's why city officials are also proposing more training and curriculum changes aimed at educating staffers, students and community members in substance use awareness and prevention, he said.

In response to the student's death, advocacy groups are repeating calls they've made for several years for schools to stock naloxone — often delivered as a nasal spray under the brand name Narcan — and train educators, support staff and students to recognize signs of opioid use and overdoses, especially because younger people are falling victim more frequently.

The powerful opioid fentanyl has been showing up in marijuana, illicit pills and other substances accessible to school-age children, experts say. Fatal overdoses in the U.S. are at record levels, fueled by fentanyl, and have been increasing among younger people, national data shows.

The National Association of School Nurses has advocated for naloxone to be in all schools since 2015 and for school nurses to help educate their communities about the signs and symptoms of substance abuse.

“It's a very unfortunate outcome," Linda Mendonca, the association's president, said about the Hartford student's death. “It brings us back to school preparedness and response plans. Having those in place is really critical."

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I agree with this, and think it should be done. Do you disagree?

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think we should make shooting dealers an over the counter tag.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
I agree with this, and think it should be done.

Same.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
And of course We the taxpayers are going to pay for the emotional based "cry for help" BS.

Better pass out some free condoms too.

Free needles.

Keep paying those taxes so we can watch the complete decline.

Now if you said I was giving the same amount of money so a kid who really needed it could learn a trade, like be a machinist, or be a pipefitter, or dental hygene or whatever, or even to give them a hot meal, that would be one thing, but I have no interest in further enabling the communists in the sexual deviancies, and drug are just a lifestyle that we promote bullcrap. Gotta keep those big government programs going and the more drug addled kids there are the better... Disgusting.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
They couldn't recognize the fact that he wasn't breathing?

ABC's anyone?

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
And of course We the taxpayers are going to pay for the emotional based "cry for help" BS.

Free needles.

Now if you said I was giving the same amount of money so a kid who really needed it could learn a trade, like be a machinist, or be a pipefitter, or dental hygene or whatever, or even to give them a hot meal, that would be one thing, but I have no interest in further enabling the communists in the sexual deviancies, and drug are just a lifestyle that we promote bullcrap. Gotta keep those big government programs going and the more drug addled kids there are the better... Disgusting.

I tend to agree with Mackay, except about free condoms. I don't have a position on that either way.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
As long as parents with children in the schools pay for, same for the police presence at schools as well, and of course transportation.

Those that use taxpayer funded services are typically the ones that pay the least.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

disagree....let them go......bob

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Disagree.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I reluctantly agree.

#1, we are dealing with kids.
#2, Even though it's not the most probable, exposure to non users is
a real possibility. Who would be against saving the life of a person
accidently exposed.

We recently had an incident involving cocaine in our high school.
It was spilled, if it had been fentanyl it could have exposed other people.

Not naive here. We live on a drug highway, a spur to Johnstown begins
right here. We have problems, and trafficking issues, but how in the heck
did coke end up in the school?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Don't want any of my tax dollars spent on rescuing addicts that come to school OD'd. Let 'em die right in front of their classmates, best prevention plan.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JFC, if your district has 7th graders OD-ing on Fentnyl IN SCHOOL methinks you probably need to focus on the much larger root causes as a community. But whatever, stock up on Narcan and hope for the best.

Last edited by hillestadj; 01/24/22.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Please indulge this hypothetical:

It's your kid - an otherwise good kid that's gotten caught up in something he/she is too naive to understand the gravity/risk of using fentanyl.
The school should let your kid die when something could have prevented it?

It's not always the poor kids on welfare doing drugs. In my neck of the woods, it's the two most affluent schools in the area with the biggest drug problem.

Until the root of the problem gets solved, it's a way to save a life.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Seriously....the next time they find an unresponsive kid who is not breathing, they are gonna blast him with Narcan and wait to see what happens?

I am MAGA.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
I reluctantly agree.

#1, we are dealing with kids.
#2, Even though it's not the most probable, exposure to non users is
a real possibility. Who would be against saving the life of a person
accidently exposed.

We recently had an incident involving cocaine in our high school.
It was spilled, if it had been fentanyl it could have exposed other people.

Not naive here. We live on a drug highway, a spur to Johnstown begins
right here. We have problems, and trafficking issues, but how in the heck
did coke end up in the school?

Should they not be on the buses too? Shouldn't the government supply them to every household that has children, since we are dealing with kids?

Considering that a child spends 15% of the year at school, and with all the recent schools closed with COVID, wouldn't it only be fair and right, since we are dealing with kids, to provide one to each parent?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I think every school should have a full trauma team on duty.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

Free needles.

Couldnt agree more!

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
This pathetic society wants to increasingly give the schools more responsibility in raising kids. It goes far beyond educating them today. It is a power grab, with the schools happily accepting the responsibility, in return greater control. Dysfunctional parents happily comply, allowing them to focus on themselves. It will soon be the responsibility of the schools to meet nearly all the needs of their students.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
This is my local CSD. We're so proud....
Seriously though. As much as I want to say F- them, every one of these is someone's child, maybe someone's parent. Addiction is a disease that I understand. I do agree that the dealers should be publicly hung though.

Narcan

School's official stance

ETA - looks like they've been keeping some on hand for a while. I had not heard this until now.

District policy

Last edited by bbassi; 01/24/22.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 160user, 204guy, 1badf350, 66 invisible), 2,888 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,192
Posts18,503,506
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.