Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

That's what I consider the best self defense round for .223 in a home defense situation.

But my barrel length is longer than 10.5".

Unless you have a good suppressor, a short barrel going off indoors is like a stun grenade. A 16" is bad enough.

Man... it’s bad OUTSIDE... my dog got into it with a possum a couple years ago and I went out and killed it with my Bushmaster M4’gery. I think my ears are STILL ringing. Way louder than any “hunting rifle” I’ve ever fired without ear protection.

I now keep nice Peltor noise-cancelling earmuff/headphones on a hook next to the in-wall safe I built into my house. That Bushmaster lives in there.... if I have time, I’m putting those things on for sure.

As for ammo I have a mag of 60-grain Partition handloads in the rifle. 55-grn ball after that. It’s my opinion any high-velocity round is highly lethal and I’m not real hung up on bullets for use against American humans. Meaning, an American is going to know he’s been shot and is FUBAR and will react accordingly. Cannot speak to how the round performs against other folks. Some cultures might be made of sterner stuff as far as personal injury. I think the vast majority of Americans home intruders are gonna be pretty “tender”.

No Americans are hyped up or on drugs. Especially not a criminal.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Did you see this month's NRA "Shooting Illustrated" (Feb 2022)?

They have 2 articles that might interest you.
The first is "A Bullet is a Bullet" that talks about a few designs and how selection is basically irrelevant for home defense.
The second is "Testing Home-Defense Ammo for Carbines" and it gets into a lot of detailed testing scenarios for several bullet designs.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
the 64 grain Winchester soft points I load for hog hunting kill animals pretty damn dead. I am sure they would work against the average home invader.

Sam......

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Did you see this month's NRA "Shooting Illustrated" (Feb 2022)?

They have 2 articles that might interest you.
The first is "A Bullet is a Bullet" that talks about a few designs and how selection is basically irrelevant for home defense.
The second is "Testing Home-Defense Ammo for Carbines" and it gets into a lot of detailed testing scenarios for several bullet designs.

No I have not seen it as I no longer have any magazine subscriptions.

Thanks

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks for your information

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hope this helps:

Free Magazine Download Here

Shooting Illustrated February 2022
A Bullet is a Bullet
Not all projectiles are created equal— but that doesn’t mean there aren’t certain similarities.

During a recent trial, the prosecution questioned the defendant about the ammunition loaded in his AR-15.This produced a comment from the defendant where he stated, “...a bullet is a bullet.” If you were watching, you probably immediately disagreed, as did the prosecutor. If you’re a frequent reader of this magazine, particularly this column, you know that variances in the terminal performance of different bullets can be extreme. You’re also probably of the opinion that if you have a firearm for personal protection, the type of ammunition you load it with is critical.

In fact, in this very issue (see page 50) you’ll find the details of a test I conducted with ammunition for carbines—AR-15s, specifically—that deals with the terminal performance and over-penetration of different loads/bullets. During the trial, the prosecutor attempted to make a similar distinction between hollowpoint and FMJ bullets, suggesting hollowpoints, “... explode inside the body.” Surprisingly, the judge stepped in, providing some clarification and an unexpected bit of firearm knowledge from the bench.

The first point I want to make is that if you must shoot a human being in an act of self-defense that results in an arrest and charges being filed against you, you can expect the ammunition you used to be a topic of discussion at the trial. This has been proven countless times. My second point of interest deals with the defendant’s notion that, “... a bullet is a bullet.” As uneducated as this notion seems, in very general terms—and given the firearm the defendant used against his attackers—it is a plausible assumption. If you must shoot an attacker with an AR-15, it’s more important for the bullet to hit the attacker than what type of bullet you fire.

Why? There are several reasons. The first is that an AR-15 chambered for .223 Rem./5.56 NATO is a powerful defensive tool. Some might find this counter to conventional wisdom because compared with, say, some- thing like the .30-’06 Sprg., the .223 Rem. cartridge produces only about a third of the kinetic energy, so calling it a “high-power rifle” (whatever that means) is misleading. But, the terminal effect of a bullet impacting anywhere close to 2,700 fps, can be devastating; it will deliver massive amounts of tissue damage. As recent events proved, it can also be lethal.

Secondly, full-metal-jacket ammunition is generally regarded as the least appropriate carbine ammunition for personal protection. This is partly because if an FMJ bullet avoids its tendency to tumble, it can over-penetrate. It’s also partly because of its lack of ability to deform from nose to base during penetration, thus creating lengthy and large wound cavities. However, in the case of the afore- mentioned shootings, FMJ ammunition proved to be exceptionally reliable at stopping the threats. This, of course, is all that can be asked of any bullet fired from any firearm in a self-defense situation.

And finally, with most conventional loads for the .223 Rem., whether they be designed for fragmentation or more controlled expansion, bullets are, well, bullets. Most any bullet commonly loaded in .223 Rem. ammunition is going to penetrate to a depth of between about 10 and 20 inches. Penetration to these depths falls almost perfectly within the FBI’s ideal penetration depth of 12 to 18 inches for duty ammunition. Will some bullet designs damage more tissue and create more hemorrhaging? For sure. Are these differences enough to matter? Maybe, but most likely not.

This may seem hard to believe. And, if it is the case, why are there so many .223 Rem./5.56 NATO loads from which to choose? One major online retailer lists more than 150 loads with options ideally adapted for every- thing, including target practice, competition, varmints, big-game hunting and yes, self-defense. But, look at the comparison of the six loads in the accompanying chart. These loads/bullets vary in penetration depth, which is the most critical aspect of terminal performance, but all loads fell within the desirable depth for personal protection.
Granted, these different bullet styles will create wound cavities of varying lengths and widths. These bullets also have different potentials when it comes to defeating intermediate barriers like auto glass, walls and metal. However, given a real-world shooting situation, all are going to penetrate to a depth deemed appro- priate for self-defense. With the lone exception of the fragmenting 55-grain Tactical Ballistic Tip, it would be unlikely anyone other than an experi- enced forensic pathologist could match the bullets to the wounds.

With regard to the FMJ load, its description sounds more ominous than reality. A FMJ bullet consists of nothing more than a thin, gilding- metal jacket fully encasing a lead core. (Gilding metal is a copper alloy made of 95 percent copper and 5 percent zinc.) In most instances, the jacket of a FMJ bullet is thinner than the jacket of a more conventional soft point or bonded bullet. However, because the jacket is most robust at the tip, in soft tissue the FMJ bullet will not deform from point to base. Instead, it will most often lose stability, flatten and tumble. This widens the wound cavity, damages tissue and limits penetration. It also often causes the bullet to not penetrate in a straight line.

So, while the comment that, “a bullet is a bullet” might seem naive, given the circumstances of the shooting and the firearm used, the results would have likely not been any different, regardless of the bullet used. Does this mean when selecting defensive ammunition for your carbine you should assume that “a bullet is a bullet?” I think not. The ability to defeat intermediate barriers is a valid consideration, as is reliability, straight- line penetration and consistency of performance. A bullet might be a bullet, but some bullets are better at doing some things than are others.

.223’Rem./5.56 NATO Penetration Comparison
Load & Penetration

Penetration (PEN) is the range of penetration depth measured in inches for three shots fired into Clear Ballistics gel from a distance of 10 feet. Temperature: 41 degrees Fahrenheit.

Federal 55-grain Nosler Tactical Ballistic Tip
10” to 13”

Various 55-grain FMJ
13” to 18”

Barnes 62-grain Triple-Shock
18” to 20”

Speer 64-grain Gold Dot
14” to 16”

Hornady 70-grain Interlock
15” to 17”

Speer 75-grain Gold Dot
13” to 16”

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
You ignorant anti gun racist , you don’t even know the difference between a 3006 and a .223

That's what I consider the best self defense round for .223 in a home defense situation.

Unless you have a good suppressor, a short barrel going off indoors is like a stun grenade. A 16" is bad enough.

Man... it’s bad OUTSIDE... my dog got into it with a possum a couple years ago and I went out and killed it with my Bushmaster M4’gery. I think my ears are STILL ringing. Way louder than any “hunting rifle” I’ve ever fired without ear protection.

I now keep nice Peltor noise-cancelling earmuff/headphones on a hook next to the in-wall safe I built into my house. That Bushmaster lives in there.... if I have time, I’m putting those things on for sure.

As for ammo I have a mag of 60-grain Partition handloads in the rifle. 55-grn ball after that. It’s my opinion any high-velocity round is highly lethal and I’m not real hung up on bullets for use against American humans. Meaning, an American is going to know he’s been shot and is FUBAR and will react accordingly. Cannot speak to how the round performs against other folks. Some cultures might be made of sterner stuff as far as personal injury. I think the vast majority of Americans home intruders are gonna be pretty “tender”.

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by shootem
Hope this helps:

Free Magazine Download Here

Shooting Illustrated February 2022
A Bullet is a Bullet
Not all projectiles are created equal— but that doesn’t mean there aren’t certain similarities.

During a recent trial, the prosecution questioned the defendant about the ammunition loaded in his AR-15.This produced a comment from the defendant where he stated, “...a bullet is a bullet.” If you were watching, you probably immediately disagreed, as did the prosecutor. If you’re a frequent reader of this magazine, particularly this column, you know that variances in the terminal performance of different bullets can be extreme. You’re also probably of the opinion that if you have a firearm for personal protection, the type of ammunition you load it with is critical.

In fact, in this very issue (see page 50) you’ll find the details of a test I conducted with ammunition for carbines—AR-15s, specifically—that deals with the terminal performance and over-penetration of different loads/bullets. During the trial, the prosecutor attempted to make a similar distinction between hollowpoint and FMJ bullets, suggesting hollowpoints, “... explode inside the body.” Surprisingly, the judge stepped in, providing some clarification and an unexpected bit of firearm knowledge from the bench.

The first point I want to make is that if you must shoot a human being in an act of self-defense that results in an arrest and charges being filed against you, you can expect the ammunition you used to be a topic of discussion at the trial. This has been proven countless times. My second point of interest deals with the defendant’s notion that, “... a bullet is a bullet.” As uneducated as this notion seems, in very general terms—and given the firearm the defendant used against his attackers—it is a plausible assumption. If you must shoot an attacker with an AR-15, it’s more important for the bullet to hit the attacker than what type of bullet you fire.

Why? There are several reasons. The first is that an AR-15 chambered for .223 Rem./5.56 NATO is a powerful defensive tool. Some might find this counter to conventional wisdom because compared with, say, some- thing like the .30-’06 Sprg., the .223 Rem. cartridge produces only about a third of the kinetic energy, so calling it a “high-power rifle” (whatever that means) is misleading. But, the terminal effect of a bullet impacting anywhere close to 2,700 fps, can be devastating; it will deliver massive amounts of tissue damage. As recent events proved, it can also be lethal.

Secondly, full-metal-jacket ammunition is generally regarded as the least appropriate carbine ammunition for personal protection. This is partly because if an FMJ bullet avoids its tendency to tumble, it can over-penetrate. It’s also partly because of its lack of ability to deform from nose to base during penetration, thus creating lengthy and large wound cavities. However, in the case of the afore- mentioned shootings, FMJ ammunition proved to be exceptionally reliable at stopping the threats. This, of course, is all that can be asked of any bullet fired from any firearm in a self-defense situation.

And finally, with most conventional loads for the .223 Rem., whether they be designed for fragmentation or more controlled expansion, bullets are, well, bullets. Most any bullet commonly loaded in .223 Rem. ammunition is going to penetrate to a depth of between about 10 and 20 inches. Penetration to these depths falls almost perfectly within the FBI’s ideal penetration depth of 12 to 18 inches for duty ammunition. Will some bullet designs damage more tissue and create more hemorrhaging? For sure. Are these differences enough to matter? Maybe, but most likely not.

This may seem hard to believe. And, if it is the case, why are there so many .223 Rem./5.56 NATO loads from which to choose? One major online retailer lists more than 150 loads with options ideally adapted for every- thing, including target practice, competition, varmints, big-game hunting and yes, self-defense. But, look at the comparison of the six loads in the accompanying chart. These loads/bullets vary in penetration depth, which is the most critical aspect of terminal performance, but all loads fell within the desirable depth for personal protection.
Granted, these different bullet styles will create wound cavities of varying lengths and widths. These bullets also have different potentials when it comes to defeating intermediate barriers like auto glass, walls and metal. However, given a real-world shooting situation, all are going to penetrate to a depth deemed appro- priate for self-defense. With the lone exception of the fragmenting 55-grain Tactical Ballistic Tip, it would be unlikely anyone other than an experi- enced forensic pathologist could match the bullets to the wounds.

With regard to the FMJ load, its description sounds more ominous than reality. A FMJ bullet consists of nothing more than a thin, gilding- metal jacket fully encasing a lead core. (Gilding metal is a copper alloy made of 95 percent copper and 5 percent zinc.) In most instances, the jacket of a FMJ bullet is thinner than the jacket of a more conventional soft point or bonded bullet. However, because the jacket is most robust at the tip, in soft tissue the FMJ bullet will not deform from point to base. Instead, it will most often lose stability, flatten and tumble. This widens the wound cavity, damages tissue and limits penetration. It also often causes the bullet to not penetrate in a straight line.

So, while the comment that, “a bullet is a bullet” might seem naive, given the circumstances of the shooting and the firearm used, the results would have likely not been any different, regardless of the bullet used. Does this mean when selecting defensive ammunition for your carbine you should assume that “a bullet is a bullet?” I think not. The ability to defeat intermediate barriers is a valid consideration, as is reliability, straight- line penetration and consistency of performance. A bullet might be a bullet, but some bullets are better at doing some things than are others.

.223’Rem./5.56 NATO Penetration Comparison
Load & Penetration

Penetration (PEN) is the range of penetration depth measured in inches for three shots fired into Clear Ballistics gel from a distance of 10 feet. Temperature: 41 degrees Fahrenheit.

Federal 55-grain Nosler Tactical Ballistic Tip
10” to 13”

Various 55-grain FMJ
13” to 18”

Barnes 62-grain Triple-Shock
18” to 20”

Speer 64-grain Gold Dot
14” to 16”

Hornady 70-grain Interlock
15” to 17”

Speer 75-grain Gold Dot
13” to 16”

Thanks for posting this so It can be read here.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
FMJ is what I have loaded.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Black Hills 77gr OTM

Seems as it was brought up, I also didn't care for the pain inducing concussion of a pistol length AR. I put a Witt Machine & Tool, SME muzzle device on mine, and my ears are safe, bad guy gets blasted.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rost495

True, but I think that gets overplayed....

We are talking about defensive ammo for in-home use here, basically. The only reason I have that 1st mag loaded with 60-grain Partitions is in case I need to use the rifle against a NON-human target outside on my rural property. In fact as noted above in the article, that ammo could be a liability in court if I used it against a person, particularly since they are handloads. I purposefully loaded these extra-damaging rounds, etc. Total BS but as the article said, it happens.

But back to a home invasion. It’s not a zombie apocalypse nor are people on drugs zombies. They are cowardly weasels. They are invading a home because they want something- to steal, kidnap, rape, or kill. Any American knows the moment they get shot with ANYTHING the gig is up; whatever the plan was, it’s over now. You aren’t going to be stealing, raping, or kidnapping anybody with a hole blown through you by a .223. You’re going to a hospital, best case, then to prison.

To your point, I left off “kill”, because it’s not impossible to imagine a scenario where one type of ammo would deliver a “stop” faster than another, and that time difference could be the difference between them hurting you, or not. I acknowledge this, but I still load 55 FMJ.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
After seeing what they do on deer, the AR under my bed is loaded with the 77 grain Sierra tipped match kings. Black Hills sells loaded ammo with that bullet.

My second choice would be Speer gold dot 75 grain. They are also sold as loaded ammunition.

I know you didn’t ask about suppressors, but just in case you were thinking about it ever, the concussion on my 12.5 inch was crazy. Now it’s really nice. I went to a shop with a silencer shop kiosk in it and they roll your fingerprints take your picture submit everything and it was super easy and took less than 20 minutes. For $25 extra they made a trust so the suppressor can be shot by my kids and inherited later without a problem. Then I just have to wait for the paperwork to go through. I really wish I would’ve done it years ago it is so nice. A Yankee Hill turbo two is a little over $400, then the stamp.

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Any American knows the moment they get shot with ANYTHING the gig is up; whatever the plan was, it’s over now.

“Ebba body got a plan till you hittem in da mouff.”
Mike Tyson

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna

We are talking about defensive ammo for in-home use here, basically. The only reason I have that 1st mag loaded with 60-grain Partitions is in case I need to use the rifle against a NON-human target outside on my rural property. In fact as noted above in the article, that ammo could be a liability in court if I used it against a person, particularly since they are handloads. I purposefully loaded these extra-damaging rounds, etc. Total BS but as the article said, it happens.

But back to a home invasion. It’s not a zombie apocalypse nor are people on drugs zombies. They are cowardly weasels. They are invading a home because they want something- to steal, kidnap, rape, or kill. Any American knows the moment they get shot with ANYTHING the gig is up; whatever the plan was, it’s over now. You aren’t going to be stealing, raping, or kidnapping anybody with a hole blown through you by a .223. You’re going to a hospital, best case, then to prison.

To your point, I left off “kill”, because it’s not impossible to imagine a scenario where one type of ammo would deliver a “stop” faster than another, and that time difference could be the difference between them hurting you, or not. I acknowledge this, but I still load 55 FMJ.

You are so full of chit, you squeak when you walk.

Of course stopping power matters. Whether you are hunting or defending yourself.

The goal with either is to put down whatever you are shooting at with utmost efficiency.

We are not bound by NATO rules, and don't have to use FMJ's. We defend ourselves and our families with what we know will be most effective at stopping the threat.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Don’t underestimate todays drugs.

Watched/felt a 130# women come out of a meth OD and give 3 grown men all we wanted.

Pretty sure the only thing that would have stopped her is death.

But when bullet boxes kick your ass.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SLM

Watched/felt a 130# women come out of a meth OD and give 3 grown men all we wanted.

Exactly

MAGA
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Jeff is a drug addict so obviously he is not a good source of info

Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by SLM

Exactly

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by viking
FMJ is what I have loaded.

Thanks

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by BigNate
Black Hills 77gr OTM

Seems as it was brought up, I also didn't care for the pain inducing concussion of a pistol length AR. I put a Witt Machine & Tool, SME muzzle device on mine, and my ears are safe, bad guy gets blasted.

Thanks

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

You are so full of chit, you squeak when you walk.

Of course stopping power matters. Whether you are hunting or defending yourself.

The goal with either is to put down whatever you are shooting at with utmost efficiency.

We are not bound by NATO rules, and don't have to use FMJ's. We defend ourselves and our families with what we know will be most effective at stopping the threat.

Well, if yer gonna be a poop about it, I guess it’s fair to say I vote 60-gn partition then, since that’s what the first mag is loaded with. After that I’ll just have to make do with good ol’ 193. Unless I grab one if my other AR’s, haha. One of them pretty much eats 69 SMK’s exclusively.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 007FJ, 10ring1, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,384 guests, and 1,394 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,164
Posts18,484,441
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.