Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yup ..suckedazz

I work harder than a ugly stripper....

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Yep. Stuck him in our southwest office and turned off the air conditioning for five days.

It must have been over a hundred degrees in there.

After all that, the IRS owed us money for our advertising costs.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
IRS has audited me 3 times two times I was right last year owed them over $1500 took 8 months to straighten it out......Michigan tried one year to get me was a battle ended up they owed me $97 then tried for 3 year to get me.....

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Never.. But I love a story I recall from the early '70s... A local grocery store owner was audited... While I can't recall all the details, I DO recall what he told the auditor. And I quote: "I'll steal $3,000 from you every year and you'll never catch me"...

And they never did... Lloyd E., was one touch sob - and not one to eff with.. I still miss the guy.. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never audited, but I did file for an extension one time and I knew I was gonna owe some money. Didn't know the rules and I thought that filing for an extension would prevent interest and penalties.... Wrong! When I finally got all the paper work and sent in what I thought I owed , I get this letter saying I owed more, the interest and penalties. Went to the IRS office, told the the lady that I didn't have the money and they was gonna have to set up some kind of monthly payments. The lady took pity on me and dropped which ever was the larger amount, the interest or penalty. Wrote her a check for whatever I owed and got out. She also set me up on quarterly payments on my estimated income. Never made that mistake again.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I’ve gotten audited twice over Capital Gains after selling stocks. The IRS tried to say that my acquisition costs were ZERO and I owed taxes on all of the proceeds from my stock sale. I finally got documentation from my broker of my actual costs and that my reported Capital Gains were accurate to the penny.

Jesus saves, but Moses invests
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
EVERY [bleep] year, since 2012....
In 2014, they decided I owed an addition 453 dollars, plus penalties and interest...I think it was 1900 or 2000 total. Mailed em a check. 4 months later, I got a 2700.00 dollar refund in the mail. What the hell?????
My cpa retired last year, gots a new guy now...
Told him what was going on, let him look over all the paperwork. Figured he wouldn't take me on asa customer.
But He said well....you didn't do anything outta the normal, so why the hell not. He seems like he's alot more aggressive than the last guy. He has an deduction for damn near everything, it seems.
So We shall see...

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
If your not getting audited your paying to much

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I have not. But always seem to pay a lot in taxes and have an account prepare the returns. I think doing your own returns makes audit more likely. Also, I think folks claiming earned income credit and the super rich are most likely to be audited. Also, audits are way down the last several years.

A couple of years ago I opened a new office I had put a lot of money into (videos posted on here at the time) renovating an old farm house. Under new tax rules most of that could have been deducted in the first year. I told my accountant to spread it out over the first few years. Still a very large lump in the first year. Was concerned that might raise a flag when 75% of gross was deducted for the year. No audits yet though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Came close to being audited by Revenue Canada (equivalent to IRS in US). They witheld $1500 of my tax return and over several months I got letters and phone calls asking me to document deductions, starting with some fairly small and totally legal business mileage. Each time the guy on the other end assured me that one more receipt would fix it all, and that they would send me my return.

Yet they used the info they got each time to ask for more details, which got harder and harder to supply. Finally he wanted a record of every mile driven that year, receipt for every repair and every penny spent on vehicles for any reason, plus more I can’t recall. I didn’t have that detailed of documentation and some of it had to be supplied by my employer.

I asked our bookkeeper for the info and he listened to the whole story. Then he asked me to drop it and take the hit of losing the $1500 tax return. He said that the pattern of questions was leading to an audit of the entire company, bad for everybody including me. A day or so later I talked to the agent handling my case and told him that it looked like they were going to ask for ever more difficult documentation till I either gave up on the return or they found an error. He got kind of mad but grudgingly admitted that’s what he was doing. I dropped it and they did not pursue it further. From then on paid to have my taxes done by a cross border pro.

Last edited by Okanagan; 01/26/22.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by blanket
If your not getting audited your paying to much

How can zero be too much?

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yes, what a bunch of crap that was

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
No, but my ex wife did. Years ago, she had a habit of trying to claim our child when she was not allowed to do so. I sent the irs a letter with her ssn and address along with a copy of our marital settlement agreement. Got my return back as normal. She got audited twice. Good times

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1badf350, 1minute, 25aught6, 16penny, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 55 invisible), 2,230 guests, and 1,129 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,908
Posts18,498,231
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.