Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
fishnut Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Okay heres my deal. My Mother in law passed away at the young age of 70 due to Lukemia last Summer. Now my father inlaw is looking to do some trips with his kids. He is an avid outdoorsman and very fit for a guy in his 70s so he is looking to do a trip to Alaska mostly to fish but also just see some country he has never seen. I've done Alaska several times but no one ever knows everything about the place but he has asked me to figure out the right trip for him and my wife and I. I would say we are pimarily going to be limited to roads and not really interested in doing a lodge maily because of cost. I've done a few high end lodge trips and they are awsome but we don't want to spend $20,000 on this trip. I've also done float trips (Alagnack) and while thats my favorite, I don't think it will work for him and my wife. I also know that the road system tends to be crowded but it is probably going to be what we have to do. Mostly salmon and also a day for Halibut would be desired.
Some of my ideas are flying into Anchorge and driving down the Kenai and doing some combat fishing. I've also thought about SE maybe Ketchican and staying around there. I would love some help with ideas of putting something together to get good bang for our buck. Seeing some beutiful country and catching some fish. I wish I had a month to a ton of things but realisticly i'm guessing about a week will be what we have.

Everyone is pretty on the internet!
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Rafting 6-Mile Creek, with Chugach Outdoor Center. It may be hard to even reserve a vehicle rental, or motorhome rental. Good luck.

ALASKA is a "HARD COUNTRY for OLDMEN". (But if you live it wide'ass open, balls'to the wall, the pedal floored, full throttle, it is a delightful place, to finally just sit-back and savor those memories while sipping Tequila).
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
We went to Kennicott Mine/Glacier (Plan a day there) this year, then down to Valdez. Worth doing. Halibut for sure out of V, but maybe salmon too. A day's travel then back up to the Kenai.

Scenery up the kazoo...

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Years ago we fished a stocked lake SW next to Palmer. You could catch all the 12-14” rainbows you wanted, we had the lake to ourselves. We only kept 4 that were badly hooked.

We fished a river somewhere by Talkeetna, caugh5 1 salmon & a bunch of grayling.

I’d ask a reputable fishing shop up there for advice. Some kinda depends on when you go up.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Seward last part of August for silvers/halibut, 26 glacier cruise,

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

397 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 38 invisible), 1,903 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,633
Posts18,493,125
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.