Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Ok. I looked over your article on Alaska wolves and wt. If you read it closely it said a wolf coming off a fresh kill could weight 170 pounds. While not their every day wt. with a full belly it was possible. This one had just made a kill of some cattle so according to your sources it is possible.. Now before you loose your cool, I did not read the whole thing in depth, but you source said it was possible.

Molon Labe
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Ok. I looked over your article on Alaska wolves and wt. If you read it closely it said a wolf coming off a fresh kill could weight 170 pounds. While not their every day wt. with a full belly it was possible. This one had just made a kill of some cattle so according to your sources it is possible.. Now before you loose your cool, I did not read the whole thing in depth, but you source said it was possible.

Right it happened once in the 1940s in alaska....so I'm sure one of the few wolves to roam into Colorado, allegedly shot back in wyoming...allegedly has a full belly of Colorado beef...allegedly killed by your drunk friend on the bar stool next to you....shot the second wolf in history to weigh 175 pounds.

Sounds probable....did he shoot it running, in the ear, at 600 yards with a 22 magnum with iron sights?

Was the shot confirmed by the tooth fairy or easter bunny?

You're full of crap...

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter

True story I was ice fishing last weekend and no chit I hooked a Coleman lantern. Pulled it through the hole and it was still burning!

Tell you what, knock 60 lbs off the weight of your wolf and I'll blow out my lantern.

Last edited by BuzzH; 01/25/22.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The DOW tranquilized a large male just north of my property line this spring from a helicopter, scooped it up in a net and hauled it off. They wanted to keep it quiet but two of the neighbors videod them and it wound up in the Coloradoan. Apparently, it was a male from yellowstone that was collared and they lost him for awhile. They found him following a female south. I am 40 miles south of Laramie and 20 miles northwest of Fort Collins.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Number 1 criteria to be a BHA member TOTAL ARROGANT PRICK!! Land must me proud Buzz.

Last edited by sherm_61; 01/26/22.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
here's a pic of the woof that WCH mentioned.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
dang, I'd say that is a big un...

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by huntsman22
here's a pic of the woof that WCH mentioned.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Not close to 175 pounds and that's a fact

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Who gives a schit if its 100lbs or 175? Still a pain in the ass animal that is invasive. You argue like an 8th grade girl. Nobody is impressed by you Buzz. That's why you're heckled on every site you frequent.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I don't consider 15,000 elk in Yellowstone reduced to a few thousand Gloom and Doom. We already have wolves moving into northern Colorado from Wyoming and they have killed three cows within the last two weeks.That is about $3000 each and the rancher has to fight like hell to get paid for them and he won't receive full compensation.

When they start killing elk after introduction, the funds that are being paid for depredation are coming from by hunters, not the liberals in Denver and Boulder.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Thanks 22. I did not want to put the photo up even if I could. I did find one of my former students was in on the hunt. I was mistaken about the weight of the animal.. My friend mentioned the first wt. way too high. My pal who was there said the wt. was 106. I didn't mean to mislead, but that is what I have been told both times by someone else. None the less it is a big wolf and now a good wolf. Thanks hope everyone understands the error. It was a big wolf no doubt and we are all better off it is taken out.

Molon Labe
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I am NOT kiddin':
https://www.welt.de/vermischtes/article164164139/Ein-Rettungswagen-nur-fuer-angefahrene-Woelfe.html

NONSENSE OR HELPFUL?
An ambulance, only for wounded wolves
Published on 02.05.2017
The wolf is back. Animals are more and more victims of traffic accidents. In Lower Saxony, injured wolves are to be taken to treatment in a specially equipped trailer. The nation's first special trailer for transporting injured wolves is solidly built. Equipment includes bite-resistant gloves, a net, pole slings, a patented board with attachment straps - and even an electric blanket.

The vehicle was developed by a company in Baden-Württemberg together with the wolf advisor for the Hanover region, Helge Stummeyer. In the vicinity of the state capital there is no pack at all, only individual animals have been sighted. "But you don't just buy the fire truck when it's on fire."

At the end of January, the Hanover region announced the commissioning of the special trailer, which cost 10,000 euros. The local politicians from the CDU, SPD and Greens had unanimously voted in favor of the purchase. Where exactly the ambulance is stationed, Stummeyer does not reveal. "The wolf only gets it on the fur," he says. Livestock farmers are worried about their sheep and calves, the state CDU is demanding an upper limit for wolves regulated by hunters.

Struck wolves being nursed back to health
Shooting of the strictly protected predators is currently prohibited. Unlike deer or wild boar, no hunter or police officer is allowed to kill an animal that has been hit, even if it is visibly suffering and seriously injured. According to the law, an official veterinarian must always come to the accident site to examine the wolf and decide whether it should be killed or treated.
Against this background, Stummeyer came up with the idea of ​​the ambulance. Injured animals could be brought to safety from the scene of the accident in order to be able to decide in peace about how to proceed, says the wolf advisor. So far there has not been any use - although the trailer can also be requested from neighboring districts where packs already live. The number of animals that have died in Lower Saxony so far is manageable: 14 wolves have been killed on the road since January 2015, four of them since November 2016.

The head of the Dörverden Wolf Center, Frank Faß, is aware of a case from Saxony in which a wolf that was hit by a car was nursed back to health. "There is said to have been a second case in Germany," says the expert. He doesn't want to pass judgment on what may even be the world's first wolf trailer. "I have not seen him yet."

The President of the State Hunters' Association of Lower Saxony, Helmut Dammann-Tamke, considers the vehicle to be nonsense. On the one hand, the journeys are too long, on the other hand, the trailer will soon no longer be necessary. "The strict protection of wolves under species protection law will be considerably relativized in the next few years," assumes the CDU member of parliament. "The wolf population is no longer dependent on us fighting for every single animal." In addition, animal welfare is not divisible, says Dammann-Tamke. After all, there are no ambulances for hares or deer that have been hit.

Elmer Keith
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Not to hijack this thread, but it looks like the Colorado proposed ban on hunting mountain lions, lynx,and bob cat is dying a slow death three of the four sponsors have pulled out their support

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Is there a difference between “hunting” and shoot on sight? Asking for a friend…

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Not to hijack this thread, but it looks like the Colorado proposed ban on hunting mountain lions, lynx,and bob cat is dying a slow death three of the four sponsors have pulled out their support

That’s great news, where did you see that SS?

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Bushwacker
The DOW tranquilized a large male just north of my property line this spring from a helicopter, scooped it up in a net and hauled it off. They wanted to keep it quiet but two of the neighbors videod them and it wound up in the Coloradoan. Apparently, it was a male from yellowstone that was collared and they lost him for awhile. They found him following a female south. I am 40 miles south of Laramie and 20 miles northwest of Fort Collins.

If true, I’m sure that video is on the internet by now, got a link?

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Here's a link to a news story stating that 3 of 4 sponsors have pulled their support for the mtn. lion hunt ban.

https://www.westernslopenow.com/colorado-news/big-cat-hunting-ban-loses-support-around-capitol/

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
When they start killing elk after introduction, the funds that are being paid for depredation are coming from by hunters, not the liberals in Denver and Boulder.

Apparently this is not true as another forum that I am on, a bow hunter recently asked this very question and here is a copy/paste of his question and the reply that he received from the CDOW..

Where does rancher compensation money come from for the recent wolf kills on cattle in North Park Colorado, since the Prop 114 wolf plan has not been approved.
I thought the money would come from the CPW Big Game Cash Fund, ie, hunting and fishing license fees as in the past and approved by the CPW Commission.

Here is the response and clarification from the CPW staffer who manages the Depredation Compensation Program.

"Depredation compensation for the recent incidents you reference (North Park wolf kills cattle) involving the naturally migrating wolves will not utilize revenues generated by the sale of hunting or fishing license fees. Compensation will occur via the General Fund, the Species Conservation Trust Fund, the Colorado Nongame Conservation and Wildlife Restoration Cash Funds, or other sources of funding for non-game species."

Note, generally, the Species Conservation Trust Fund, is a Legislative House bill, approved, that provides appropriated State tax money for a variety of wildlife species. The other noted Cash Fund above is from public donation.

He did explain that under the Prop 114 wolf plan, depredation compensation will come from the State, General Tax fund so all Coloradans will pay for it.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
[quote=TRnCO]

"Depredation compensation for the recent incidents you reference (North Park wolf kills cattle) involving the naturally migrating wolves will not utilize revenues generated by the sale of hunting or fishing license fees. Compensation will occur via the General Fund, the Species Conservation Trust Fund, the Colorado Nongame Conservation and Wildlife Restoration Cash Funds, or other sources of funding for non-game species."

Note, generally, the Species Conservation Trust Fund, is a Legislative House bill, approved, that provides appropriated State tax money for a variety of wildlife species. The other noted Cash Fund above is from public donation.

He did explain that under the Prop 114 wolf plan, depredation compensation will come from the State, General Tax fund so all Coloradans will pay for it.[/quote

That is true at present.

However once the program is going, if CPW is paying it out , it will come out of their funds according to CPW at the last Round Table meeting. At present all hunting and fishing dollars collected go into the General Fund. Then CPW has to ask for those funds back when the budget is approved.CPW is tasked with implementing the program. (ie the state). That includes funding. Not all of it , but the amount coincides with what CPW takes in.. from P&R ,Dingle, grants,Habitat stamps, and hunting /fishing licenses.
When specifically asked about that during the meeting, the only response was they were working on it, but CPW would be paying it out.That tells me right there that they don't want the public to know about it. Read the bios on the Polis appointed CPW commission and see how many commissioners are hunters or ranchers.They are not on hunter's or rancher' side

Last edited by saddlesore; 01/27/22.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by saddlesore

Some good news for a change.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (160user, 21, 007FJ, 2500HD, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 71 invisible), 2,595 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,090
Posts18,482,949
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.