Print Thread
Hop To
S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Good to take note of this for those shooting a Glock 20 or 40 and heavy 200/220 grain loads.

Owner of Buffalo Bore Tim Sundles on Heavy 10mm Ammunition:

The Buffalo Bore Heavy 10mm ammo is the result of many years of customers requests that we produce several such loads for the 10mm.

These are the absolute heaviest bullet that can be fired through 10mm pistols. With it's flat nose it will penetrate straight and very deeply into muscle and bone. Straight line penetration into living tissue will exceed three feet.

These loads bring out the full potential of the 10mm, but operate at standard pressures and as such, are safe to use in any standard 10mm pistol.
We are using flash-suppressed powders so your vision will not be materially affected should you be required to drop the hammer in low light.

If you are firing this 10mm ammo from an autoloader and experience high extreme spreads in velocity, it is not the ammo. Here is why and how to remedy the situation.

Full power 10mm ammo has always generated enough recoil and pressure to require a pretty stiff recoil spring in your handgun - this of course depends on several variables such as your slide weight, etc. When the cartridge fires, it generates enough pressure/recoil to prematurely open your breech face in some guns. When this happens, the opening breech face has an effect on the burn rate of the powder. This can result in some fairly high extreme spreads in velocity. If you are experiencing extreme velocity spreads of more than 50 fps, simply install a stiffer recoil spring. For example, I have an original Colt Delta Elite. This gun with the factory spring runs extreme spreads of about 35fps with both of these 10mm loads. I am happy with 35 fps, so I leave the Delta Elite as is. I also have a custom built Para Ordinance with a Nowlin barrel. It runs extreme spreads of about 70 fps with its original recoil spring. When I install a spring that is 4 lbs stiffer, the extreme spread drops to about 35 fps. The new Glock model 20 comes with a recoil spring that allows the breech face to open too soon and my new Glock model 20 will get extreme spreads of about 100fps with the factory spring installed. When I go to a stiffer recoil spring, the extreme spreads drop to about 50 fps in my new Glock model 20. Of course none of this will be an issue in a revolver. None of this will be an issue in real life either, as these high extreme spreads don't hurt accuracy or function. However, I mention this because if you are like me and want things to be as correct as possible, I have outlined the problem and the solution. The industry fixed all these problems initially, by watering down the 10mm ammo over the last several years. The watered down 10mm ammo does not generate the pressure/recoil to open the breech face early. If you want the full powered 10mm ammo we make, you simply need to tweak your pistol. Or just realize that you are getting some fairly high extreme spreads and ignore it or live with it. It's not hurting any thing in reality.

Please note below, my personal velocities taken from real pistols:

1. 1140 fps - Glock model 20 4.6 inch barrel
2. 1175 fps - Colt Delta Elite 5 inch barrel
3. 1201 fps - Para Ordinance 1911 with Nowlin 5 inch barrel

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good info to have.

Probably the very same would apply to stout handloads with the heavy bullets.

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Certainly why I posted here.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Agreed, good post. A heavier than stock recoil spring I believe also helps a bit with the added stress to the frame, to minimize frame battering when shooting heavier than factory loads. Not eliminate, but helps.

Manny

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The stock Glock 20 recoil spring is 17 pounds. I put a captive 22 lb. spring and polished stainless rod in my G20. The combination of the stiffer spring and a little extra weight out front makes the 220 gr. hard cast at 1200 fps a very controllable load. Some guys go as much as 24 lb. springs. My gun has never choked even with the watered down practice ammo that most manufacturer's produce.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
The stock Glock 20 recoil spring is 17 pounds. I put a captive 22 lb. spring and polished stainless rod in my G20. The combination of the stiffer spring and a little extra weight out front makes the 220 gr. hard cast at 1200 fps a very controllable load.

I did that exact same thing, and yes this combo works great.

What powder are you using for the 220s?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My Glock 20 and my Kimber Match Target Model 10mm
Both still have the original factory recoil springs.
Been shooting those loads for years. Never had an issue at all.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

22lb spring in mine

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SU35
The stock Glock 20 recoil spring is 17 pounds. I put a captive 22 lb. spring and polished stainless rod in my G20. The combination of the stiffer spring and a little extra weight out front makes the 220 gr. hard cast at 1200 fps a very controllable load.

I did that exact same thing, and yes this combo works great.

What powder are you using for the 220s?

Underwood Ammo...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've taken my 20 to almost 1400 with 200's. There is a point in which the slide velocity is too much for the magazine to reliably catch. I settled in the 1200 neck of the woods and a 22 or 24# spring.

I ran the same loads in my 1911 with a flat back and stiffer spring and the slide delay was obviously greater in the 1911.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

615 members (160user, 222ND, 2500HD, 2003and2013, 257 mag, 163bc, 61 invisible), 2,408 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,789
Posts18,477,285
Members73,943
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.