Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I have acquired a like new !0ga Pedersoli, and am looking for for load recommendations. Gun came without any manual but a box full of fiber, card, and overshot wads. Probably will be used for small game, might try a turkey if it patterns well. I was told 90gr of 2f and an once and a quarter of shot. Anyone shoot a 10 what works for you?

There are no problems that cannot be resolved by the suitable application of high explosive.
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I don't have one, but Dixie Gun Works web site suggests 85 gr. FFg under 1 1/4 oz shot for that model.
Those are nice guns. I handled one in a shop but didn't buy it. My mistake.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
See if you can find a copy of the Lyman Black Powder load manual. Is your gun a ML or breech loader?

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

What fresh Hell is this?
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I also have the Pedersoli 10 gauge, with fixed chokes. After much research, and alot of time at the patterning board, here is what I settled on for wild quail and pheasants.....

In order, down the barrel: 85 grains of "P" pyrodex by volume, 1/4" hard card, 1/4" soft felt, green active 12 ga wad, 1.5 oz of shot by volume, 1/2" thick felt card completely soaked with olive oil. The 1/4" card and felt over the powder gets pushed down firmly, on top of the powder. The oil soaked felt, on top of the shot, pushed down just touching the shot....not firm, that will squeeze out the oil.

This is kinda a bastardized skychief load, with the addition of the 12 gauge active wad. (I'm sure other wads will work, this is the one I had on hand, that fit snugly down the barrel) But....its by far, the best patterning load I came up with. I usually put hard 7's in the right barrel, and hard 6's in the left barrel. Ignition is much slower/longer than with a regular shotgun.....just keep your head down and exaggerate your follow through, on your swing....and all's good.

Andy3

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I was interested to see if the "Sky Chief load would get mentioned. I have read the reviews on another forum and I plan to give it a try. Right now about all I am doing is waiting for some decent weather to go to the range. That load intrigues me seems to go against all the old rules big wad in front of the shot, but the reviews seem to indicate otherwise. What type oil are you using on that last wad? thanks to all just wanted a starting point now comes the fun part. If I get a good load worked up Spring Gobbler is coming.

There are no problems that cannot be resolved by the suitable application of high explosive.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I use olive oil.....let it soak for several days, turning it over several times, to get it fully saturated. I carry them in a ziplock bag. Be sure to use a paper towel around the muzzle, when you start it. Oil will be running down your barrels, if not.

From what I understand, when you use a lightweight over shot card, it slows down quickly.......falling back through the shot column, resulting in a hole in the middle of the pattern. The heavy/oil soaked wad falls away from the front of the shot column, as it goes down range.......keeping the center of the pattern intact.

The heavy felt, along with the shotgun wad I use, keeps the shot protected......resulting in even patterns.

I read where one guy, trying to duplicate federals flight control wad, for a turkey load, would tie a cotton ball to a short piece of fishing line on one end and a #10 machine washer, on the other. He would run the line through a hole drilled in the bottom of the wad, before tying on the cotton ball and washer.....the washer being inside the wad. The wad was un-slitted.

Theory was the cotton ball would act as a drag chute, behind the wad, keeping the wad going straight, and the shot would stay inside the shot cup longer.....resulting in the flight control "like" behavior. I never heard if he did it, or any results. IF I were to develop a dedicated turkey load, I'd have to try it!

Andy3

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Andy3
I use olive oil.....let it soak for several days, turning it over several times, to get it fully saturated. I carry them in a ziplock bag. Be sure to use a paper towel around the muzzle, when you start it. Oil will be running down your barrels, if not.

From what I understand, when you use a lightweight over shot card, it slows down quickly.......falling back through the shot column, resulting in a hole in the middle of the pattern. The heavy/oil soaked wad falls away from the front of the shot column, as it goes down range.......keeping the center of the pattern intact.

The heavy felt, along with the shotgun wad I use, keeps the shot protected......resulting in even patterns.

I read where one guy, trying to duplicate federals flight control wad, for a turkey load, would tie a cotton ball to a short piece of fishing line on one end and a #10 machine washer, on the other. He would run the line through a hole drilled in the bottom of the wad, before tying on the cotton ball and washer.....the washer being inside the wad. The wad was un-slitted.

Theory was the cotton ball would act as a drag chute, behind the wad, keeping the wad going straight, and the shot would stay inside the shot cup longer.....resulting in the flight control "like" behavior. I never heard if he did it, or any results. IF I were to develop a dedicated turkey load, I'd have to try it!

Andy3

You got to love the lengths people will go too to achieve their goal. The olive oil was the choice of the folks on the other forum as well and they did also advise the paper towel. Being retired gives me a lot of free time so as soon as it deep freeze ends I look foreward to trying your load and shooting the M/L Thanks again to all who posted.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I had, and used, one of these for years. Very fond memories of my time with it. I used it for anything you'd use any other shotgun for. I stayed away from anything plastic in the barrel as it made a huge mess with the Goex FFg that I used. I also swapped out the #11 nipples for musket cap nipples with no problems whatsoever. At that time, I acquired all kinds of different fiber and cardboard wads along with pre-lubed wonder wads. My favorite use was for turkey hunting and I even wrote some articles for the now defunct "Blackpowder Hunting" magazine and got published. Used it on the trap line one evening and made some new friends! Lol! They took exception to the time to load it and all the smoke! Hahaha! Enjoy it! I know I sure did with mine.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (11point, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1936M71, 10ring1, 68 invisible), 2,942 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,383
Posts18,469,596
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.