Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#16895693 01/28/22
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
You boys been out plowing?

Got about a foot here where it didn’t blow away or drift. Most snow this season.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

About 5" here on ANC upper hillside. Will fire up the JD 955 w/ 59" snowblower in the morning. The most I've had was 15" of wet/heavy snow on first day of fall!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I plowed the other day after it got ridiculous. Then it dropped 6" that night and 4 the next. Could be worse I guess. I'd complain, but you dirty [bleep] wouldn't even listen. Grin.

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I have snow-blower elbow.

Back

Knees

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
I got after it when it quit snowing. Got about half done. Important to get the dog playground clear so the ball doesn’t get lost til spring.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B2

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I took a shower after supper last night, then sat in the hot tub until I got light headed.....

I'm as close to human as I'll ever be today. smile

WU says another 6 inch dump coming Tues-Th this week here on the Kenai. It's usually about double their forecast at my place. I better get that shear pin in my neighbor's blower so I can use it (she's in AZ, and I keep her drive clean- and maybe use her machine a little over here- that Honda isso much better than my Chi-Com HD POS. ) smile

Last edited by las; 01/29/22.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
We'll take some down here. Got a good early winter start, but nothing since Christmas. Ranchers live and die here with spring runoff to flood our native hay meadows.

1Minute
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Since I moved to the valley, we get a lot less snow that Homer, but I plow 3 times as often… 1st time after it snows, second time the next morning when the wind drifts it in, then again as it drifts again.

Nothing like the satisfaction of a freshly plowed driveway only to see it all drifted in at 6am the next morning when headed to work.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My frustration is blowing things clear only to be subsequently plowed in with a 2.5 ft berm by the street crew. I do go out and flip them off but do so with a friendly grin on my face. Everyone knows everybody in this town.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/29/22.

1Minute
S
sjc Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Hi:
Only got about 8 inches here. Plowed twice. Once to remove the 8 inches, then to removed the snow that blew back in. Will hit it again tomorrow morning to remove the snow that blows back overnight. Approximately 60 miles east of me they got over 18 inches. The temperature is 0 with wind gusts of around 30 MPH. At least the snow is light and dry. The wet heavy snow is the killer. Freezing rain is the worst.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LoadClear
Since I moved to the valley, we get a lot less snow that Homer, but I plow 3 times as often… 1st time after it snows, second time the next morning when the wind drifts it in, then again as it drifts again.

Nothing like the satisfaction of a freshly plowed driveway only to see it all drifted in at 6am the next morning when headed to work.

Joys of the valley. I lived behind the old AK club in wasilla. Wind was terrible.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[
quote=ironbender]You boys been out plowing?[/quote]

I'm getting plowed now grin

Just finished the sheep skull for my son. 163" ram (B&C book) from the DCUA unit. Didn't fook it up too bad - just skull and horns. I'll get a pics up tomorrow. Need to do a year (2021) in review.

Atmospheric river BS for last 10 days really melted all our snow down low. Nordic tracks by the glacier is still GTG. A few deer will prolly survive now.

Should get an alpine refesh this week. Only 7 days on my seasons pass - but hey, it's quality over quantity - pow days pretty much exclusively for me.

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by LoadClear

Living in the Arctic for some years, I learned it was actually a desert. We didn't get a lot of snow , but we used the hell out of it.

Every time the wind changed direction..... wink

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Beautiful here today. Got most of ours cleaned up. Cold and clear tomorrow too.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Like las said, more on the way - allegedly.

If the forecast holds, 10” Tuesday to Friday.

Need to go get hay today before that.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
The snow we got here in the valley this week was strange. We got five inches here. It was light but packy. That’s a highly technical term for those unacquainted with snow.

Normally when I plow with the tractor the snow piles up about bucket high and a couple feet in front of the bucket and then rolls off to either side. This snow would build up bucket high and then it pushed a long cone of snow 12-15 feet in front of the bucket. I plowed seven driveways around the neighborhood and it acted the same in each driveway. Never saw snow act like that when I’ve been plowing.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Same here. Works better if both augurs on the blower are working too.... smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Who's that crazy basterd that would shovel snow in shorts and a t-shirt when it's 30 below? I recall he had a long gray beard. He posted a photo once.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Morning, here in the banana belt of Canada (just below the northern belt) we haven't got much all winter so far. Used the blower 3 times I think. We got about 2 maybe 3 inches last night, it's like goose down. I blew of the deck with the leaf blower. I used to like winter, snowmobiling, skiing, chasing hounds through the snow for coyotes, at 70 not so much anymore. Never understood the snowbird thing, till now. Would love to come down to a warmer state of yours.oh well life's a bitch carry on. GWP. 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Snow? You guys got snow? I think we got maybe a 1/2", not even worth shoveling.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (219 Wasp, 10Glocks, 21, 1minute, 260madman, 1OntarioJim, 54 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,431
Posts18,489,256
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.