Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a cheap ass pneumatic impact wrench that won’t remove lug nuts even with the air cranked up above 90 psi.

I assume it’s not possible to improve mine, but how much do you have to spend that will remove lug nuts? Thanks.

GB4

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
A 20V Dewalt will do a lot.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have one of these Cheap about $18 (250 ft/lbs) and one of these Better about $80 (800 ft/lb) at home. Both work well taking off lug nuts on cars and pickups. Have never needed industrial strength such as 3/4" etc.

Traveling I carry this works at about $70 (350 ft/lb) and a 25" 1/2" breaker bar just in case.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Under $200 for an Ingersoll Rand IR231. I've used $400 snapon ones and always went back to my IRs. They just work.

Only a dingleberry, not yet a Turdlike person, maybe someday!!!
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I am happier than a retard in a room full of bouncy balls right now!!

Joe.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A few drops of Marvel Mystery Oil will go a long way.

IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Les Schwabb could not break loose the lug nuts on my newly purchased '02 GMC K2500.

My 1/2 inch Earthquake (HF) impact gun would not do it either. But a 3/4 drive breaker bar with a HyLift jack handle for a cheater broke em loose.

I added a little anti-sieze to each lug bolt and a full set of new lug nuts when I went in and got the tires rotated.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
4-500 ft/lbs should work for lug nuts. Mines around 1350 and it will twist the axles off I think .

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by cuznguido

^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
The womens have Ryobi string trimmers...

I caught a really cheap clearance on 18v 6 amp hour hour Ryobi batteries at Home Depot... bought every clearance battery they had.

Decided to try one of these...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I had been looking at Milwaukee but didn't want to get into a whole new species of batteries (my tools are OTHER brands that Milwaukee).

This Ryobi is a monster... maybe not the monster of Milwaukee, but all I can imagine I will ever need in an impact.

Personally, I will never use air impacts again.

In fact... I will sell my two 1/2 air impacts right here... and right now for $50 shipped... both.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Les Schwabb could not break loose the lug nuts on my newly purchased '02 GMC K2500.

My 1/2 inch Earthquake (HF) impact gun would not do it either. But a 3/4 drive breaker bar with a HyLift jack handle for a cheater broke em loose.

I added a little anti-sieze to each lug bolt and a full set of new lug nuts when I went in and got the tires rotated.

Funny, a Milwaukee 1/2" 18v Fuel would have broken them loose without even breaking a sweat. For the op, buy a Milwaukee fuel 18v and you'll never go back to air. I only use my pneumatic impact for lighter work like my atv wheels, where they require less torque. You got to be careful with the Milwaukee, it is rated at 1,400 ft lbs of torque. If it can't break something loose, it will rip it apart (snap bolts). I don't like using them to tighten stuff down. That is what a torque wrench or ratchet is for.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Depends on who/how they were put on. I've twisted in two many a stud trying to get gaulded lug nuts off.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All that salt on the roads prolly rusted them on there.

I'd try seafoam deep creep and a breaker bar...no need to gorilla torque them 100 ft-lbs or so

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Funny, a Milwaukee 1/2" 18v Fuel would have broken them loose without even breaking a sweat.

Yepp... The Milwaukee will absolutely break them loose... or wring the stud... they are insane.

Friend has the 3/4" version... absurd power. Not cheap

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Spray about a table spoons worth or more into the air inlet. Reconnect the hose & blip the trigger a few times before putting the socket on the nut.

If a bunch of dark colored lube comes out the exhaust, repeat the process.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Funny, a Milwaukee 1/2" 18v Fuel would have broken them loose without even breaking a sweat.

Yepp... The Milwaukee will absolutely break them loose... or wring the stud... they are insane.

Friend has the 3/4" version... absurd power. Not cheap

Yep, I used to work on tug boats and barges and a lot of that schidt is rusty big heavy bolts. Even the 1/2" fuels are incredible. The one I use is rated for 1400 ft lbs. Before I bought it, I was trying to loosen an axle nut on my Tundra. They are supposed to torque them on at 173 ft lbs, but even a breaker bar wouldn't budge that damn nut. I broke one of my breaker bars in fact, so I said screw it and bought the same 1/2" milwaukee that I use at work. That axle nut came off so easy, it wasn't even funny. Battery's last a long time too.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have only heard great things about the Milwaukee 18V cordless impact driver. I may get one down the road.

Along with the pneumatic impact wrench, you have to have a large enough compressor: horsepower, pressure as well as CFM, and also a large enough air hose to get the most out of your impact wrench.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Couple hundred will buy a good half inch impact.

Don't run them at 90 either.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^

Generally just douche them with wd40.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I MUCH prefer pneumatic over battery powered in my shop for 1/2 and bigger.

The little battery impact in 3/8ths or quarter is nice though....I still prefer air.

If your air compressor says "oil less"......get battery operated.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^

Generally just douche them with wd40.

Yep, any oil is bettern nun !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

200 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 257_X_50, 14idaho, 2500HD, 32 invisible), 1,867 guests, and 1,118 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,993
Posts18,481,120
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.