Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
pahick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Who alls done it? Theres a shortage, and I need to. But ill admit I hate needles. Call me a pussy I dont give a schit LOL
I have no issues getting blood work. That huge needle they use for giving though! PHEW!

Whats your experience been like? Does the "pinch" compare to blood work? Any tips so I dont feel light headed. Im serious y'all, I am already nervous and just want a decent experience.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I did happily until I told the Red Cross about my false positive Hepatis C test.

Please give, it is better to give, than receive.!!

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don't look at it.

""Mute the Greeniacs. Open the pipeline. Bury the Russians." - JPR - 2022
pahick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I did happily until I told the Red Cross about my false positive Hepatis C test.

Please give, it is better to give, than receive.!!

I have it scheduled....which was a pain in the ass to even find a donation center that wasnt full! I checked 50 miles and nothing. Couple days later one opened up at a church right down the road, I dont know if it was a cancellation or not, it was full on that date when I looked before.

Originally Posted by JackRyan
Don't look at it.

I dont plan to!!

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
pahick, shortly before you go to donate make sure you eat. Don't go in on an empty stomach, I've seen more than one donor hit the floor after donating because they hadn't eaten. A typical donation of whole blood, 1 pint, takes no more than 6 minutes. The screening you go through before you donate will take longer. Once you're in the chair, look away from the needle and relax. I donate every 4-5 weeks as I do apherisis, which is where they take platelets and plasma only and return the rest. I'm usually in the chair about 1 hour. I do it this way because I have the rarest blood type and that way I can help the most people. I have done over 250 donations, 102 of them were whole blood donations. You can do this!
k2nd

IC B2

pahick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by k2nd
pahick, shortly before you go to donate make sure you eat. Don't go in on an empty stomach, I've seen more than one donor hit the floor after donating because they hadn't eaten. A typical donation of whole blood, 1 pint, takes no more than 6 minutes. The screening you go through before you donate will take longer. Once you're in the chair, look away from the needle and relax. I donate every 4-5 weeks as I do apherisis, which is where they take platelets and plasma only and return the rest. I'm usually in the chair about 1 hour. I do it this way because I have the rarest blood type and that way I can help the most people. I have done over 250 donations, 102 of them were whole blood donations. You can do this!
k2nd

My sugar runs on the lower side for the most part. How close to the donation can I eat? Far as the screening the email I got from them said to fill out a questionnaire at RAPIDPASS . Does that help the screening go quicker? I dont even know what blood type I am. After all the tests ive done over the years I never asked them. And you didnt say anything about the "pinch"....must be worse than I thought, dear Lord!!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The needle isnt the problem, the machine "sucking" feels weird.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

The pinch feels the same as any other blood draw. I'm not sure the needle is any bigger. In addition to eating, it is important to go in well hydrated. Drink a few extra pints of water starting the day before your appointment. When you are done, stand up slowly to make sure your blood pressure is up. I have never had any trouble but my wife fainted the last time she gave. Good luck!

pahick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Esox357
The needle isnt the problem, the machine "sucking" feels weird.

Machine? Im doing whole blood. They do a machine for that?

pahick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Southerntier8

The pinch feels the same as any other blood draw. I'm not sure the needle is any bigger. In addition to eating, it is important to go in well hydrated. Drink a few extra pints of water starting the day before your appointment. When you are done, stand up slowly to make sure your blood pressure is up. I have never had any trouble but my wife fainted the last time she gave. Good luck!

Thanks. Ya I think when they do my blood work its a 24 gauge. I think the donation thing is 16 or 18. Looks like pen ink refill!!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I give therapeutically every 5 weeks. Just an initial sting when the needle goes in (I'm blessed with good veins) and then a dull ache for a couple of minutes. After 2 minutes you don't really feel much. I'm usually done in about 6-8 minutes.

It's a rewarding feeling.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm a 26 gallon donor, Type Oneg, which is a universal donor. I stopped a few years ago when recovery started taking longer and longer.

For most folks, there's nothing to it. They'll have you fill out a questionnaire, interview you, test for iron level, and then put you on the recliner. The folks doing the insertion are pros, and you probably won't feel much. There's sometimes a "pinch" that fades quickly. When it's done, you 'll have to sit in a recovery area for 15 minutes to make sure you don't get faint-headed, and they usually serve you cookies, juice or something sugary while you wait.

Giving blood is actually good for you. It forces your bone marrow to churn out more red blood cells, making it more efficient, just like exercising a muscle.

You can't "catch" anything from giving blood. There's almost zero risk, and you save from three to five lives every time you give.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
18.75 gal donor. Also O-neg. I do what is called Double Red's every 4 months.

Last edited by Cretch; 02/01/22.

3825 24336
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O Pos try to go every time I'm eligible 59 units so far

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

pahick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Appreciate it guys

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have to lay on the table after it is over a bit, so I am not too lightheaded. I usually hang out a bit and have 2 juice box drinks.
They give you a report in a few days of your blood, including covid antibodies.
When you give them your email, the will hound you often. They always have a record shortage.
I only give blood, no machines for me.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Being AB+ wish I could but not able anymore. Not a big deal.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division
pahick Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Terryk
I have to lay on the table after it is over a bit, so I am not too lightheaded. I usually hang out a bit and have 2 juice box drinks.
They give you a report in a few days of your blood, including covid antibodies.
When you give them your email, the will hound you often. They always have a record shortage.
I only give blood, no machines for me.

Wow, they give you a report on covid antibodies too? Good deal!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used to when I worked for a utility and we had blood drives at work. B+ here. I don't anymore because in the rural place I live they don't have any blood drives, nearest donation place it 75 miles.

Life (and forums) is like a box of animal crackers----There's a Jackass in every box
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Type O negative here also so they’re on the phone the minute I’m eligible. When people talk about the needle thing I always say that their tons of things that hurt worse than giving blood. Hell, even a paper cut stings worse. You just have to focus on the good your doing for others and the next thing you know it’s over. Also free drinks and snacks. Dave

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

702 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 70 invisible), 3,250 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,104
Posts18,483,243
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.