Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
prose Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
So my dad built a very nice AR a couple years ago... him and i differ greatly on what it would bring if sold.
He thinks this is a 2K+ gun, whereas I'd say about 1,100. What say you, internet?

It's a tight tolerance AR .223 Wilde Chamber.

Flawless performance. 1/4" MOA shooter.

Yankee Hill Lower
Geissele 2 Stage Hi Speed National Match Trigger
Anderson Arms Upper
Bravo Co Match Stainless Barrel 20" 8" Twist
BCM Stock
Full Length BCM Hand guard
Fail Zero full auto BCG (That is a marketing term, this is not a full-auto weapon)
Sling QD's and Magpul single attach point QD sling
Caldwell picatinny brass catcher (the one that works)
600 rounds down tube

Attached Images
Last edited by prose; 02/01/22.
GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
1/4 moa?

P
prose Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Yes it is very very accurate

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
So this ar15 shoots better than most higher end custom rifles it seems. Nice! Probably with steel cased ammo as well

It’s not a marketing term. It actually means something to those who know

The full auto lug is present on this bolt carrier group. Heavier mass and longer carrier than standard. While it doesn’t make your gun full auto, it’s not just “marketing”

DIY home builds don’t bring the money a high end factory rifle commands typically

My experience 950-1000$ top end.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Soft AR market right now. You can buy a NIB Colt 6920 for $700.00. I've seen NIB Daniel Defense M4 V7's for $1,450.00. NIB SOLGW 16" M4-76 for $1,200.00.

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
AR Frankenguns don't usually sell for what they cost to build.

Good rule of thumb, add up the cost of all the components, and divide by 2.

P
prose Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Completely agree.

Agree with other comments too.

Much appreciated.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's an $800 gun.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
How much is the 20" BCM barrel worth? Most times a frankenAR can be taken apart and sold in pieces to gain more money. Like others have said, AR's are not as hard to find as they were 6-12 months ago. Then just about any anderson would bring $1,000.00 around these parts. I'd be interested in the barrel, if it is for sale at a decent price. Most all of the other schidt doesn't add to the value of the rifle. BCG is crap, sorry. The KMAR is a great handguard. That would probably sell for $100.00 used. The geiselle trigger sells for $270, but used expect more like $220.00. The upper receiver isn't worth much (Anderson). 1/4 moa shooter? Ok, that seems to be the norm around here, but carry on.. I see a parts gun, some parts good, others ho hum... Rifle probably worth $1,000.00 to the right person.. Sell the brass catcher separately.. Why are you selling such a great shooting AR?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
doesn't appear. selling to me. Appears to be discussing value. but I may have read intent wrong.

a known good shooter will bring good money to those that know its a good one. Beyond that brand names, even though they might shoot worse in the end, will bring more. Sad fact but a fact.

My Colt is still worth more than many others of mine to most people. Those that know me, know the cheapest EA lowers etc... shoot way better than the Colt ever thought of as it was.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by prose
So my dad built a very nice AR a couple years ago... him and i differ greatly on what it would bring if sold.
He thinks this is a 2K+ gun, whereas I'd say about 1,100. What say you, internet?

It's a tight tolerance AR .223 Wilde Chamber.

Flawless performance. 1/4" MOA shooter.

Yankee Hill Lower
Geissele 2 Stage Hi Speed National Match Trigger
Anderson Arms Upper
Bravo Co Match Stainless Barrel 20" 8" Twist
BCM Stock
Full Length BCM Hand guard
Fail Zero full auto BCG (That is a marketing term, this is not a full-auto weapon)
Sling QD's and Magpul single attach point QD sling
Caldwell picatinny brass catcher (the one that works)
600 rounds down tube

Jeff brings up a valid point about known good shooting rifles.

If it's a true 0.25 MOA rifle post up some 10 shot 1/4 moa groups and it might help the resale value.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
doest' even have to be 10 shot groups that somehow have become a thing here at 24 hour.

But would have to be enough 5 shot groups to count for sure.

I'd really rather actually see something like cold bore single shot once a day compiled into say 20 rounds. Or a rapid of like 20 just to see what happens on the other end as it heats up.

Mostly as long as the first shot or two goes where its supposed to thats much more important for 99 percent, hopefully always 100 percent, of my needs.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's a button rifled barrel. It's only going to be prime for about 3,000 rounds. You could get basically the same barrel from White Oak for about $210.

Politics is War by Other Means
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rost495
doest' even have to be 10 shot groups that somehow have become a thing here at 24 hour.

But would have to be enough 5 shot groups to count for sure.

I'd really rather actually see something like cold bore single shot once a day compiled into say 20 rounds. Or a rapid of like 20 just to see what happens on the other end as it heats up.

Mostly as long as the first shot or two goes where its supposed to thats much more important for 99 percent, hopefully always 100 percent, of my needs.

Jeff, how many shots did you take on target when you were competing? Come on now. It sure wasn't 3 or 5. I am not trying to ruffle your feathers. 10 shots help to show what a rifle and shooter are capable of. Seems the only people crying about 10 shot groups are ones that can't consistently lay good ones down on paper. We aren't talking hunting rifles here, but my varmint rifles better prove to me they are sub moa capable or I will fine tune them until they are. The same goes for my precision AR's. So, when a guy says he has a 1/4 moa rifle we assume he's saying 3 shot groups. How many thousands of 1/4 moa 3 shot groups have you shot in your time? I don't waste my time walking downrange to take a pic of every damn 1/4 moa 3 shot group I've shot, they are pointless. Shot one yesterday in fact. First 3 shots in the same hole.. Some guys keep the damn thing in their wallet, like its a prize they show everyone. That doesn't mean their rifle or they are a 1/4 moa shooter... Take the guys over at snipershide, they have had comps but it's 5 5shot groups to prove their rifles shoot sub moa all day. That's a pretty damn easy task, as compared to our shoot which requires 2 10 shot groups side by side. I use our targets on a regular basis to check/test loads. Did that yesterday as a matter of fact. 2 22-250 rifles and the 53gr vmax bullet that another member here has been having issues with. Both of my rifles proved to shoot a load I worked up for another rifle into sub moa, and I was fu cking around for the first groups because I didn't think they were going to stabilize in my 14 twist rifle. When I saw they were, I said fu ck this chidt and knuckled down and shot a real 10 shot group... More shots per group verifies the load, rifle and shooter. Just how it is buddy...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Tyrone
It's a button rifled barrel. It's only going to be prime for about 3,000 rounds. You could get basically the same barrel from White Oak for about $210.

Thanks Tyrone. Is that White Oak Armament or White oak? Just to clarify. $210 sound real cheap for a good AR barrel. Still wondering what the op thinks his barrel is worth and if maybe he can post some target pics up? Not looking for 3 shot groups either... We all have ar's that will punch out a 1/4 moa 3 shot group from time to time...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Thanks Tyrone. Is that White Oak Armament or White oak? Just to clarify. $210 sound real cheap for a good AR barrel.
Same/same.

Politics is War by Other Means
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks Tyrone. The WOA barrel I had was a great shooter. Not 1/4 moa great, but great nonetheless. Sold it because it wasn't twisted right.. Oh wait a second... Is this a 1/4 moa shooter?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Damn not quite.. but close. ha ha.

BSA MAGA
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Dang I thought you stole my target
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I traded for some Hornady 75 grain HPBT Match ammo last week and went out to see how it would shoot in my AR’s. On Saturday, it shot like crap (or I did) so I went home and started looking at things. Found the Vortex flash hider way snug so I backed it off, loctited it and hand tightened. Went out Sunday and it shot better but I was down to my last 5 rounds before I got into the 500 rounds I was fixing to sell. Decided hey let’s try the 223 Montana. These 3 went where they did, I added 1.5 moa and put the other two in the bullseye at 200.

Figured a three shot group with a two shot qualifier would get a laugh.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by TWR
Dang I thought you stole my target
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I traded for some Hornady 75 grain HPBT Match ammo last week and went out to see how it would shoot in my AR’s. On Saturday, it shot like crap (or I did) so I went home and started looking at things. Found the Vortex flash hider way snug so I backed it off, loctited it and hand tightened. Went out Sunday and it shot better but I was down to my last 5 rounds before I got into the 500 rounds I was fixing to sell. Decided hey let’s try the 223 Montana. These 3 went where they did, I added 1.5 moa and put the other two in the bullseye at 200.

Figured a three shot group with a two shot qualifier would get a laugh.

Damn, that looks just like mine. Coming from 2 guys that don't shoot 3 shot groups right... I think I actually thought of you when I walked down to the fn target that day!!!! Even though that's just 3 shots, looks like your montana is shooting great. Is it the one with the custom barrel?

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
To the op, since we got sidetracked. If I were in your dads shoes or yours, I'd list it on gunbroker. Who really knows what it would sell for, until the final day if and when it gets bids. I probably wouldn't advertise it as a 1/4 moa rifle though. That is a very subjective matter that we don't all agree on... Good luck with it. Oh, the rifle that shot this group:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Is a proven 1.57 moa shooter.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

529 members (222ND, 22250rem, 1badf350, 160user, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 45 invisible), 2,143 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,232
Posts18,504,391
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.