Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
selmer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Dad's hunting days are no more after 50+ years of hunting. My brother wanted his post-1970 M70 in .30-06, but has now sent in on to me. Why? Because he cocked up one scope base screw trying to remove them and boogered one of the three action screws. I'm no gunsmith, but it looks like he used an impact driver on them. Chipped the top of the slotted screw off, though there is still a slot. The rear action screw is also boogered, but not chipped. I've got Kroil on both of them, but I'm wondering how hard it is for an actual gunsmith (which I am NOT) to remove such screws? He handed it to me pretty sheepishly. I'm sure none of the screws have been out of it for at least 45, maybe 50 years. It's the only centerfire hunting rifle dad ever used for deer and antelope and I'd love to put a set of Talleys on it and keep using it. But I have to get these screws loose. He wanted me to refinish the stock (which I CAN do well), which is why he tried to get the action screws out. He got the first two. But not this back one. Thanks for the help!

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
- my 3-year old daughter smile
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
PM sent usually set up in a mill and cut the heads off the remove threaded portions

selmer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
That's what I suspected.

Selmer

"Daddy, can you sometime maybe please go shoot a water buffalo so we can have that for supper? Please? And can I come along? Does it taste like deer?"
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have used a set of EZ outs to get a boogered screw out. I did it by hand and took my time and it worked perfectly without damaging the receiver threads.

selmer Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by devnull
I have used a set of EZ outs to get a boogered screw out. I did it by hand and took my time and it worked perfectly without damaging the receiver threads.

I thought about that, but I have had a bad success rate with easy outs. So I’ve handed it over to an actual gunsmith. I’m good at doing a lot of things with guns, but I’m not a machinist or a gunsmith and I know when to quit before totally destroying something. So I quit. smile

Selmer

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Not familiar with these particular screws. At all possible to file the slot deeper or file a new slot to get a solid bit with a proper size screwdriver? I have done this with good results numerous times. Or if the screws can't be cleaned up file a cheap screwdriver to fit the slot you got. If you can get a driver to bit try some heat on the screws. Degrease to remove the kroil. Then get one of those little crackhead pocket torches. Small but very hot direct flame do a couple heat and cool cycles. You might get lucky.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Usually a damn manual impact driver is all that is needed. Its just the slotted screws right? Just put some pressure on the impact driver and tap with a hammer. Pretty easy to do. If you absolutely can not do it for some strange reason, drill the head out. Also very easy to do. Center punch the slot so the drill does not slip from center. Drill until the head comes off, then pull the bottom metal off. Remove the stock and then grab the remaining screw shaft with a vise grip of the appropriate size and unscrew it. At that point it will unscrew easily. Come on slemer. Nice to see you posting again. I saw you were getting rid of you 308 stuff. Must have sold your FN PBR. That sucks..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

100 members (7887mm08, 44mc, 2500HD, 35, Akhutr, 10gaugemag, 15 invisible), 1,603 guests, and 921 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,946
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.