Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Been looking for the perfect BT for awhile now. Just can't find it. Trying to not go the expense of highend custom. Trouble I am having is finding a thin blade but still a decent grip thickness. Most have the shape of a BT but my EDC has thinner edge. Don't need a real strong blade as the knife will see much more trout than bird.Would really like D2 but open minded just won't go, AEB-L. So any suggestions other than bite the bullet and get on someones waitlist? Thanks

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Spring for a good one.
"Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten"

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
For a cheap knife that’ll work well for what you want.

Either a victorinox or f.dick poultry knife.

Another model with a slimmer blade is a “venting” knife.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
If you like D2 you’ll love PSF27. It’s a spray form of D2 that better distributes the carbides in the steel matrix. I’ve had fantastic luck with it. Hit me up and I’ll get a bnt going for you.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
AG Russell Woodswalker,small handle,but thin and sharp blade.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Godogs57
If you like D2 you’ll love PSF27. It’s a spray form of D2 that better distributes the carbides in the steel matrix. I’ve had fantastic luck with it. Hit me up and I’ll get a bnt going for you.

I'd like to see a pic of your bird and trout model if it's not too much trouble

Thanks

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
For a cheap knife that’ll work well for what you want.

Either a victorinox or f.dick poultry knife.

Another model with a slimmer blade is a “venting” knife.

Smokey Mountain has a few paring knives priced under $10 from Benchmark, Dexter Russel, Hen & Rooster, J.A. Henkels, and Victorinox. I like the Victorinox Ceramic Tomato Knife for a general truck, pack, utility knife. SMKW's inventory number BMK210 priced at $7.99. Victorinox also sells a synthetic sheath for $7.99, SMKW's inventory number F40993.

"Quality is remembered long after price is forgotten", at least until you lose it.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I used a victorinox folding paring knife for a trout knife for many years

Never used it on birds that I remember. Guess I better buy one and try it on some quail. Lost mine a few years ago somehow

I have seen godogs work before. It’s fantastic. You would not be disappointed at all

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by mike7mm08
Been looking for the perfect BT for awhile now. Just can't find it. Trying to not go the expense of highend custom. Trouble I am having is finding a thin blade but still a decent grip thickness. Most have the shape of a BT but my EDC has thinner edge. Don't need a real strong blade as the knife will see much more trout than bird.Would really like D2 but open minded just won't go, AEB-L. So any suggestions other than bite the bullet and get on someones waitlist? Thanks

Do you have a specific budget you are trying to stay within or under?

Is there a certain blade thickness you are targeting?

Tim Olt's (michiganroadkill) version of a BnT might meet your specifications. The one I have is 0.100" thick at the spine and flat ground. 3.25" blade length if I remember correctly. He leaves a little meat on the handle scales and you end up with a fairly round and neutral grip. I really like it. He usually has some blanks on hand so you may reach out to him and see what his price and turnaround may be currently. The one I have on hand was made with S30V but he has played with M4 and S35VN lately.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I couldn't find a B & T knife that suited me so I found a blank at a knifemaker supply place and handled it myself with some jigged cowbone. Gotta get busy and make a sheath for it.

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Here’s a pair I finished for Christmas delivery. CPM154 stainless steel and exhibition grade desert ironwood.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Nice looking blades Hank!

Thanks for the photo

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Dude270
Nice looking blades Hank!

Thanks for the photo

Thanks! That’s a very popular pattern for me. I’ve made them in PSF27 and folks took to em well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Thought you were a North Arm fan...?

They are making the Mallard now in CPM Magnacut... Not too many gonna top that for $105 with an awesome Kydex sheath...

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Also, just out of curiosity - why no AEB-L?

You can no more tell someone how to do something you've never done, than you can come back from somewhere you've never been...
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Journeyman

Thought you were a North Arm fan...?

They are making the Mallard now in CPM Magnacut... Not too many gonna top that for $105 with an awesome Kydex sheath...

You just cost me 105 plus shipping. The blade profile of the mallard is not what I picture for a B&T but the steel and thin stock won me over.

Really looking forward to trying it out

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Sorry for the delay getting back to this.

Yes I am a North Arm Fan. But like Dude270 I am not liking the profile. But it checks the other boxes. If I look at it enough I might settle for the mallard.

Hank gorgeous knives. Look a little meatier through the spine than I want. Little unsure on the handle as well. Anything other than straight line through the finger area I need to get in hand. Seems like nearly and protrusion always lands on finger instead of between them with my natural hold. Same way with finger groove pistol grips.

Journeyman I have had a few knifes in AEB L. No matter how much I tried my sharpening techniques never put a edge on I was happy with. Work D2 and several other steels the same way and I get perfect edge everytime.

As for specs and price. No more than 1/8 inch at the spine and a full flat grind and a fairly aggressive grind to get as thin of edge as possible.. Budget without going custom maker is 150ish. Anymore I will be better off just putting money to a custom.

Currently I have a Battlehorse Birch River. I like it but don't love it. Biggest complaint is the blade thickness. They say 1/8 but it is more like 5/32 and it is a rather conservative flat grind. Could of brought it to a much thinner edge in my opinion. But I guess as it is the knife is more multi purpose.

I will check out Tim Olt offerings.

Thanks for all the input.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I'll post up my take on the Mallard when I get it.

The blade shape is a little too "paring knife" for me but the quality of the materials and the thinness of the stock and thin grind really interested me. Most knives, especially B&Ts, are too thick for my tastes. Seems like like a whole lot of knife for $106.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Crappy picture, but what the heck. This is my Tim Olt bird and trout. 0.100" blade stock, about 3.25" blade length. Pretty handy blade that I keep finding more and more use for. While I haven't used it on fish, I have used it on several rabbits, squirrels and even a couple whitetails. Paired with one of his 5" boner patterns makes a HECK of a game processing combo.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by War_Eagle; 02/04/22.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Mike Miller makes a dandy.....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (22kHornet, 222Sako, 204guy, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 63 invisible), 2,506 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,601
Posts18,492,258
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.