Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Muddly Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Got the dies set to bump the shoulder back .002. What fun that was!
I'm working up some loads, all have been promising. No obvious duds.
She was very little used when I got her. I've put 120 rounds down bore, and shot a buck this year. Didnt get to keep him though. We have a 3 on a side antler restriction here and at 65 yards he looked like a busted rack 6. What I thought was a brow time, was his ridiculous right Y rack. No scope, Lyman 30 1/2 sight, he looked legit so I fed him a 150 grain Speer Deep Curl flat point driven by 40 grains IMR 4064. Have to chrono it, but I'm guessing 2550 fps.
He went DOWN. Lungs were goo. When I saw what he was... Dang.
Tagged him, dressed him out and took him to the regional warden station. Told them what happened, filled out the affidavit, paid my $25 and they gave me another tag. The buck went to a family on hard times. Thank God not wasted.
But, she's breaking in nicely. Loosening up from her " new stiff" cycling. Carries well, points wonderfully, redline cool factor in a world of " matte finish" and Tupperware. Got lots of positive comments, especially from the game Wardens!
I was kinds worried at first. Had 2 other 99s, both EGs, a .300 and a 30-30. Pesky bad luck and they just didn't seem to fit.
Madame, pronounced the French way, not the kind that runs a " house of ill repute", has found her place in the rack. Earned it, I dare say. We gonna have us some FUN.

Last edited by Muddly; 02/01/22.

Keepin my back green and my powder dry.
The LORD bless and keep you
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They'll do that to a guy. There's a reason there are so many out there. grin

Good that the wardens are so understanding there. Mistakes in Nebraska often aren't treated very kindly..

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I thought sure this story would have a bad ending. I think you would have gotten slapped pretty hard here in laid back Wyoming. The Game & Fish take wildlife violations pretty seriously. I'm sure glad they didn't confiscate your EG. I've got another one coming in 250-3000. Will put a Lightfoot mount on it and hunt antelope.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

M
Muddly Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
The Wardens are pretty decent here. They put that procedure in place when antler restrictions went into effect. The intent was to minimize someone just leaving it there in the case of a mistake kill.
Of course, if they don't believe you...
If you don't report it properly, and they find out, ( funny how often they do find out) its not $25. Its $1500 and your license for 3 years.
ALWAYS pays to do the right thing.

Keepin my back green and my powder dry.
The LORD bless and keep you
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nothing wrong with an EG...

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
When WV first started offering a second buck tag we all got one. The rules were pretty specific. Shoot a deer the first day, check it in the same day. You can take your second the next day. But, if you shoot it late in the day, and decide to check it in the next morning, you CAN NOT go back and take a second deer, the same day you check it in. You would have to wait till the third day. My cousin took one early the first day, but wanted to wait and see what anybody else got, and check it in after dinner. Late in the afternoon we got hit by a bad ice storm, no way we could get down to the checking station. Next morning he went out and shot a second deer. Next day was a little better, but still freezing rain after dark. The guy at the checking station went ballistic when my cousin handed him two tags. He had us all sit on a bench while he called the state police. They said the Captain had gone home. He called him at home and was still freaking out. We could hear the Captain on the other end. He said, "Your nuts if you think I'm coming out in this weather. Smack them on the wrist and tell them to get the hell out of WV, ASAP. I think if weather had of been better, Tom would have been in deep trouble. I was in a different vehicle, so I don't know if they could tie me to him or not. But, he had a couple of his guys with him, they all might have been in trouble. But, if weather was better, I guess we would have checked them in after dinner like we always did. No checking stations any more. Call in or online.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
When WV first started offering a second buck tag we all got one. The rules were pretty specific. Shoot a deer the first day, check it in the same day. You can take your second the next day. But, if you shoot it late in the day, and decide to check it in the next morning, you CAN NOT go back and take a second deer, the same day you check it in. You would have to wait till the third day. My cousin took one early the first day, but wanted to wait and see what anybody else got, and check it in after dinner. Late in the afternoon we got hit by a bad ice storm, no way we could get down to the checking station. Next morning he went out and shot a second deer. Next day was a little better, but still freezing rain after dark. The guy at the checking station went ballistic when my cousin handed him two tags. He had us all sit on a bench while he called the state police. They said the Captain had gone home. He called him at home and was still freaking out. We could hear the Captain on the other end. He said, "Your nuts if you think I'm coming out in this weather. Smack them on the wrist and tell them to get the hell out of WV, ASAP. I think if weather had of been better, Tom would have been in deep trouble. I was in a different vehicle, so I don't know if they could tie me to him or not. But, he had a couple of his guys with him, they all might have been in trouble. But, if weather was better, I guess we would have checked them in after dinner like we always did. No checking stations any more. Call in or online.

Sounds ridiculous to me Joe. You guys get regulated to death by the sounds of it.

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm in a whitetail doe only zone. I wouldn't want to rely on the rangers or DA's good will if I was to accidentally shoot a mule deer doe and took it in. It's rather sad, because their lack of understanding just means that there's more SSS going on, and it's wasted.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Muddly
The Wardens are pretty decent here. They put that procedure in place when antler restrictions went into effect. The intent was to minimize someone just leaving it there in the case of a mistake kill.
Of course, if they don't believe you...
If you don't report it properly, and they find out, ( funny how often they do find out) its not $25. Its $1500 and your license for 3 years.
ALWAYS pays to do the right thing.

What a sad, communist run operation.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Sounds ridiculous to me Joe. You guys get regulated to death by the sounds of it.

The NE, where freedoms go to die.

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
We have the dam 3pt. Rule here, I asked a dnr officer what would happand if a guy messed up and shot a fork horn, called them to explain what happened, he said they would take my gun, big fine and loss of hunting time, lots of young bucks are shot and left in the woods here. It's a shame!one warden told me he had been called on 11 different bucks and the season was only a week old.

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The rest of my cousins story. They also went to buying a doe tag. So the next year he got a doe tag because they were 5 bucks cheaper ( is that a pun, 5 bucks?). The tags say antlered and antlerless, not buck and doe. First day we both shot spikes under 3” so they count as a antlerless. He checked in first. This time it was a local lady working the desk. She asked what he got and he said a spike under 3”. She punched antlered on his license. I said antlerless so that’s what she punched for me. Tom ran over and said I messed up, mine was antlerless too. She said that’s OK, if you get another one tomorrow I’ll punch the other hole. He said no way you gotta fix it, that old guy wanted to throw me in jail last year. She gave him a big smile and said, don’t worry, that Old Sumna Beech died.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have no idea how so many people willing live in such fascist places, all the time feeding the commies your tax dollars and license fees.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by saddlering
We have the dam 3pt. Rule here, I asked a dnr officer what would happand if a guy messed up and shot a fork horn, called them to explain what happened, he said they would take my gun, big fine and loss of hunting time, lots of young bucks are shot and left in the woods here. It's a shame!one warden told me he had been called on 11 different bucks and the season was only a week old.

Stupid, stupid.

The number one reason to kill game is to eat game. Horns don't cook.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mike78

And, what fabulous state do you reside in?

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ah yes, the times we live in. The regs are pretty complicated here but nothing like some of the things you guys are talking about.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by roundoak

It looks like someones mommy is coming to the rescue. Another SJW heard from.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Ashamed of your state, I get it.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Ashamed of your state, I get it.

Once again, you take very little from posts. You apparently like the heavy handed approach by some state governments.

I'm not ashamed of my state, but I have no reason to tell a limb dick, liberal government shill where I live. I can give you my cousin's phone number. I think you would love him, he's likely your type. But you've show time an again that you get bent out of shape when someone doesn't are with you or the liberal stance.

You are special, and I'm sorry you hated that I showed you to be a complete ass in the other thread, but you deserved it.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Shooting a 5 point, BAD.

Aborting a baby, forced vaccines, having someone else pay for your kids, burning cities over a drug addicts death, GOOD.

Roundoak approves this message

Last edited by Mike78; 02/02/22.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (1badf350, 1minute, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 007FJ, 53 invisible), 2,262 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,039
Posts18,500,735
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.