Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Cast bullets is far more about fit than alloy. 10-12 bhn makes a great game bullet in the Whelen cast 1-2 thousands over groove. Cast at lineotype hardness also can shoot very well but is brittle which can shatter on bone. Use the same thinking on your Whelen that works well in your 45-70 and your good to go. Mine is a 1-14 old custom Springfield. I shoot the Lyman 35806 280 grain RN with gas check at about 1950 fps. I use imr 4759 but lots of powders work at that range of speeds in the Whelen. Aa 2015, TAC, h335, 4895 sort of range.

GB1

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Also back when Barnes loading manual #1 came out, there were some 60k loads for the Whelen. I used aa2015 and the original 225x bullet at 2821 fps for a few years. Hammer of Thor. The new powders are far better I would say as that load bordered on too much. Brass in my old loose custom chamber grew a bit. I carry the Whelen around with the GH scope mounted Heinsolt in the drawer at home and the Lyman peep doing duty most of the Time now. It looks and feels very good in my hand swinging along on the American savanna or in the woods. Love this old rifle.

Last edited by Fury01; 12/05/21.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Agree fury- I used loads straight out of that first Banres Manual for my 35 whelen Ackley! I used 53.5 of the old 2015br behind the 250X and 58gr H322 behind the 200x...for 20 years! Only when I had friends help me look up their guesstimated pressure QL did I stop using them, and then it was only because I am down to one good eye, ha (not from the using those loads! lol) Both loads were reportedly over 72K...go figure.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Some of you guys should go spend a couple seasons with the Whelen and the 9.3. One could generally get by with those shooting a 250 and 286 bullet respectively. Both will get.you to 300 yards no problemo. In reality, the majority of game nationwide is shot well inside that range.

The way life should be.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I’ve settled on 54 gr of RL15 with 250’s in Remington and Federal brass. That’s is max for that brass and gives me an average of 2450 fps over the chrony. If I want more I switch up brass and run Hornady and Nosler brass which will handle a bit more powder and get me safely to 2650 fps. Or some CFE or MR2000 eels out 2700+fps. All across the chrony and real world speed. I’m quite happy with 2450 fps and that will kill anything on this continent.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by TX35W
Have to respectfully disagree with Mule Deer here.

The Whelen is quite a bit more flexible than the 9.3 for most North American hunting. Mostly because there are no longer any bullets for the 9.3 that are both soft AND aerodynamic (aside from the discontinued 250gr ballistic tip).

In 9.3 you can get soft 232gr bullets OR you can get a slick 250 accubond but you can't get both in one bullet. The 9.3 accubond is a way tougher bullet than the .358 accubond.

The 250 9.3 accubond flies great but below 2000 fps it needs to run into a big tough animal to expand. That is what I have personally found. If someone has found differently--ie run it into smaller animals below 2000 fps and seen good expansion, I would love to hear it. I wanted those bullets to work on animals at longer ranges but they do not seem to expand at slower speeds.

From what I have personally seen the 225 .358 accubond is a very different animal even though it looks very similar to the 9.3 version. The 358 accubond expands (minimally but reliably) down to about 1700 fps--it is actually about the softest .358 bullet I have found (strangely enough it is softer than Sierra and Hornady round/flat noses and way way softer than the 225 SGK). The only 358 bullet I found that is softer are the Hawk bullets. And even at 1700 fps it tends to expand reasonably quickly; there is not much "neck" length to its wound channel even at those slower speeds. And even at higher speeds it seems to retain a good long shank.

Mule Deer has mentioned several times that Nosler understates the BC for the 225 Accubond and based on my come-ups, at least out to 750 yards, that bullet seems to have a G1 BC in the .460 to .470 area, out of my 1:12 twist, anyway.

To sum it up, the .358 225 accubond is a 500 yard bullet (at sea level) if you can get it started at 2700 fps. This is also about what the Nosler factory ammo is loaded to, at least out of three different rifles I have chronographed.

By comparison, if you load it to 2600 fps, the 250gr 9.3 accubond is a 300-350 yard bullet if you are expecting it to expand on non-dangerous game. But, at least out of my rifle, the factory 9.3 250 accubond ammo is way slower, 2400 fps from my 24" barrel, which makes it a 275 yard bullet. Again, if you want expansion without having to run the bullet into a grizzly or moose shoulder.

As far as I can tell the only downside to the 225 accubond is that it seems to be pretty jump-sensitive. But once you get it tuned, again at least from my 1:12 twist, it flies great. At 750 it was holding under 1/2 moa on a calm day. In terms of come-ups and wind and overall predictability to me it feels like shooting a 168gr Federal GMM load out of a 308.

If you need to launch 286gr+ bullets at animals or you're shooting shorter distances, the 9.3 is your huckleberry. But the Whelen is in another class in terms of flexibility. At least until someone comes out with a soft 9.3mm bullet that also flies well.

Some good points. MV from my Tikka T3 Lite in 9.3 x 62 motivates the 250 AccuBond at +2700 fps from a good dose of RL-17, WLRM primers, Hornady brass @ 3.37" COL. At 500 yds it's still making over 1900 fps. I've not tested it for expansion yet, except in one 6' black bear at 85 yards where it left a blood trail for 20 yards to a very dead bear, that looked like it came from the nozzle of a water hose! With a (claimed) BC of .493 I'd surely take it on a moose hunt to the north of our province and take a poke at a bull at up to 500 yards (my limit). Even if it expanded little, with over 2000 ft-lbs KE nothing good would happen to the moose if hit where aimed. I'd believe that until proven otherwise.

Still, I agree, a good lighter bullet like the GS 195gr might be preferable in some scenarios. But the 250 AB at +2700 fps and 286 NP at over 2600 fps are both more than I'll ever need.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Lots of interesting thoughts in this thread.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Following

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by CZ550
Originally Posted by TX35W
Have to respectfully disagree with Mule Deer here.

The 250 9.3 accubond flies great but below 2000 fps it needs to run into a big tough animal to expand. That is what I have personally found. If someone has found differently--ie run it into smaller animals below 2000 fps and seen good expansion, I would love to hear it. I wanted those bullets to work on animals at longer ranges but they do not seem to expand at slower speeds. .

To sum it up, the .358 225 accubond is a 500 yard bullet (at sea level) if you can get it started at 2700 fps. This is also about what the Nosler factory ammo is loaded to, at least out of three different rifles I have chronographed.

By comparison, if you load it to 2600 fps, the 250gr 9.3 accubond is a 300-350 yard bullet if you are expecting it to expand on non-dangerous game. But, at least out of my rifle, the factory 9.3 250 accubond ammo is way slower, 2400 fps from my 24" barrel, which makes it a 275 yard bullet. Again, if you want expansion without having to run the bullet into a grizzly or moose shoulder.

If you need to launch 286gr+ bullets at animals or you're shooting shorter distances, the 9.3 is your huckleberry. But the Whelen is in another class in terms of flexibility. At least until someone comes out with a soft 9.3mm bullet that also flies well.

Some good points. MV from my Tikka T3 Lite in 9.3 x 62 motivates the 250 AccuBond at +2700 fps from a good dose of RL-17, WLRM primers, Hornady brass @ 3.37" COL. At 500 yds it's still making over 1900 fps. I've not tested it for expansion yet, except in one 6' black bear at 85 yards where it left a blood trail for 20 yards to a very dead bear, that looked like it came from the nozzle of a water hose! With a (claimed) BC of .493 I'd surely take it on a moose hunt to the north of our province and take a poke at a bull at up to 500 yards (my limit). Even if it expanded little, with over 2000 ft-lbs KE nothing good would happen to the moose if hit where aimed. I'd believe that until proven otherwise.

Still, I agree, a good lighter bullet like the GS 195gr might be preferable in some scenarios. But the 250 AB at +2700 fps and 286 NP at over 2600 fps are both more than I'll ever need.

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

My experience with the 250 AccuBond 9.3 at 2650 fps indicates it expands very well on smaller big game out to 300 yards. Have used it a lot in Africa out to that range, started at 2650 fps, on animals from 50-700 pounds, and it has always expanded well. Dunno why it wouldn't, as it's designed to expand like Partitions (softer up front and harder in the rear) and plastic tips definitely enhance expansion. Shot a blesbok about the size of a mature whitetail buck at 300, and the bullet left a 1-1/2" exit hole. Had far less expansion from a Barnes 250 TSX on an oryx shot at around 150.

But if I'm going to consistently shoot stuff at over 300 yards, tend to prefer somewhat more muzzle velocity and BC. Lately have been using the 175 Barnes LRX from my NULA .30-06 at around 2830 fps, and it seems to expand and penetrate just as well as the 200-grain Nosler Partition I used for decades at 2675 fps. It does shoot a little flatter and drift a little less in the wind at 400+ yards, but not much.

In general have found the .35/9.3/.375 rounds don't make all that much difference than .30-.33 caliber bullets when they hit something unless the bullets are 250+ grains in weight. And even then there often isn't much difference.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Gaschekt
I'm getting 2515fps from Saeco #352 248gr cast gas-checked boolits with 53.0grs of IMR-4320. Accuracy is outstanding out of my '88 classic. Shoots 1" groups at 100 yds and bangs steel pans at 300yds with ease. It's my deer load for hunting iowa this year

Sir, if you're still watching this could you post all the other details about your load? Including how hard your alloy is. Also any other loads with other powders that have worked well for you with the Saeco #352?
I bought this same mould expressly for my Whelen, though I expect it'll be nice in the .358 Win too. It's still unused at this point but looking forward to playing with it in the spring, along with the RCBS 35-200-FN.
Thanks in advance,
Rex

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by CZ550

Bob

www.bigbores.ca

Bob,
I may have missed it somewhere, but what’s the barrel length on your tikka? I just received a benchmark 9.3 in a tikka t3 contour for a long contemplated build and I’m trying to decide on barrel length.
Appreciate it.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by TRexF16
Originally Posted by Gaschekt
I'm getting 2515fps from Saeco #352 248gr cast gas-checked boolits with 53.0grs of IMR-4320. Accuracy is outstanding out of my '88 classic. Shoots 1" groups at 100 yds and bangs steel pans at 300yds with ease. It's my deer load for hunting iowa this year

Sir, if you're still watching this could you post all the other details about your load? Including how hard your alloy is. Also any other loads with other powders that have worked well for you with the Saeco #352?
I bought this same mould expressly for my Whelen, though I expect it'll be nice in the .358 Win too. It's still unused at this point but looking forward to playing with it in the spring, along with the RCBS 35-200-FN.
Thanks in advance,
Rex

Sorry for not responding sooner. My alloy isn't exact science yet, but my cast bullets are too hard to scratch. I did recover one fired into an oak stump perfectly mushroomed. A few years ago I ordered one bar of superhard plus a couple bars of pure tin from Rotometals and I make sure at least one or two of the ingots I made from that batch of alloy go in my pot. My cast bullets cast almost perfect to specified weight or slightly less so I know my ratios are about correct for a Lyman #2 alloy. I drop cast bullets into ice water for a little quench hardening and then it's over to the lyman 450 for gas checks and lube. I also make my own lube. I'm running this alloy at 2750fps from a 308win with zero leading and great accuracy. My Saeco load is what I carried for Iowa deer this year but didn't get a shot. The load is accurate out to at least 300 yds which is as far as I can test right now. I don't get over particular on exactly how much antimony and tin I have in each casting batch, but I do make sure that enough is there for my satisfaction. I've been casting bullets since I was 12 years old. I have a feel for what I do and that's what it is. Sometimes the results are amazing and I'm completely impressed. My cast bullets are more than satisfactory for all of my shooting/hunting needs. I can even cast a 22 cal 63gr round nose.

35 whelen saeco 352 official load is 53.0grs Imr-4320 loaded to 3.075" oal lr primers in norma brass. Or Remington brass but I prefer Norma. This load clocked just north of 2500fps 15 ft from the muzzle. Accuracy exceeded my expectations so it's now my standard load

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I get all I need with 57.5 gr. Re-15 and a 250 gr. Partition. It shoots just as good with 250 gr. speer, 250 gr. hornady or 250 gr. grand slam.
The biggest thing I have shot with it is a 1100 lb. bison. took 2 steps and laid down and died. I would use it for anything including big bears and not feel undergunned.
It do kick in a remington with plastic stock.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The only difference I could tell between the .366 and .358 accubonds by filing down the bullets was that the .358 accubonds have a small airspace behind the white plastic plug. In the .366 version, there is no void or airspace...the lead goes all the way up to the white tip.

Jackets look similar in cross section. I'm presuming the difference in how the bullets expand is that void behind the tip.

The root of my problem was that the Nosler factory loaded 250 accubonds only got 2400 fps at the muzzle of my 9.3 24" Husky. If the bullets are started at 2700 fps, looks like they don't drop below 2000 fps until past 400 yards (sea level).

Bit academic in the end anyway...I also grab either a 30 cal or 7mm if I think I'll be shooting way out there.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I try not to frequent 24 hour campfire as often as I used to since I was getting out of hand on buying or building rifles. I finally sold most of them or gave them to my kids and grandkids! After following this thread for awhile it appears I'm going to turn one of my tikkas into a 20" barreled 35 whelen. The barrel is shot out and accuracy isn't there anymore so its justifiable.

I've always stayed out of the grizzly areas when hunting elk but have decided to try an area where folks have been known to have grizzly encounters so its doubly justified! I'm thinking I'll try a 200 grain Barnes pushed pretty hard!

I'd like to thank everyone here for helping me to make another poor choice but a good decision 😁

Last edited by Trystan; 02/01/22.

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Glad to "help", Trystan!
It'll be interesting to see what you get out of that 20" barrel. If you don't lose over 25 FPS per inch, I expect the new powders we've discussed can get you 2550' with a 250 grain, 2750' with a 225, probably 2850' with a 200. That's 100 FPS below what I get with PP2000MR (250s and 225s) and Varmint (200s) in my 23 inch barrel, and consistent with Speer's and Sierra's data (I am loading 1-2 grains less powder than either of those two sources used for max - I was happy with my results at the milder pressures). I have not played with CFE223 myself, but for all I know it might be better suited to the shorter barrel, or not, but worth a try also.
Are you going to have that Tikka rebored, or go with a new barrel? I used a 14" twist on mine and have been happy with that.
Best of luck and keep us informed.
Rex

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Rex, I'm going for a lightweight build so going to order a carbon fiber barrel for it. I'll put a muzzle break on it as well. I visited with a friend of mine who has an FFL licence yesterday so we're currently looking into options. If I can get around the mid 6 ish lbs all in I'll be happy. I'll keep you posted for sure

Good bullets properly placed always work, but not everyone knows what good bullets are, or can reliably place them in the field
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'd be pretty happy with a 20" Whelen myself. My current pair are 22" and work great. 2900 with 200 TTSX's isn't any big deal or 2800 with the 220 Hammers. That's going to make a nice packing rifle.

Semper Fi
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks I'm looking forward to getting it done. I've been wanting to try those hammer bullets! My younger brother is a big fan of them. He's shot several elk with them in his 338 win mag, I can't remember what grain he used. The hammer bullet is becoming his favorite go to. He gets some impressive accuracy in his 338 lapua with hammer bullets as well.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Trystan
Thanks I'm looking forward to getting it done. I've been wanting to try those hammer bullets! My younger brother is a big fan of them. He's shot several elk with them in his 338 win mag, I can't remember what grain he used. The hammer bullet is becoming his favorite go to. He gets some impressive accuracy in his 338 lapua with hammer bullets as well.

Man, I'll tell ya, they are easy to get shooting and easy to get ahold of and are priced pretty well. I am liking them more and more these days.

Semper Fi
Page 11 of 14 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (007FJ, 1234, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 64 invisible), 2,224 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,916
Posts18,479,651
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.