Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Older Toyota forklift (mid to later 60s) of a dear friend - distributor drive gear is broken and am looking for a replacement camshaft for the 4cyl 2R Toyota engine. He is a rancher and really needs to have this thing working - think huge bales of hay.

Engine looks to be much the same as in Toyota cars/trucks of the same vintage and lots of parts available online for those, but cannot ID the interchangeability of parts with the 2R. Anybody know this info, or have a good info source, to help ID and find a replacement camshaft reasonably?

All help will be appreciated, Thx.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
GB1

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are differences in the 22r and the 22re, but I don't think the cam or distributor are different, but not 100% on that, pretty sure rockauto can help you out with new stuff.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Probably will fit.
How the cams are cut might be different, due to different operating
ranges. Can you contact a Toyota equipment dealer?
Maybe one of the businesses that specialize in Toyota offroading?
They might have a gray haired dude that knows some stuff.

Phone.
This isn't a time for stupid emsil.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 02/02/22.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Try RockAuto

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by CCCC
Older Toyota forklift (mid to later 60s) of a dear friend - distributor drive gear is broken and am looking for a replacement camshaft for the 4cyl 2R Toyota engine. He is a rancher and really needs to have this thing working - think huge bales of hay.

Engine looks to be much the same as in Toyota cars/trucks of the same vintage and lots of parts available online for those, but cannot ID the interchangeability of parts with the 2R. Anybody know this info, or have a good info source, to help ID and find a replacement camshaft reasonably?

2R or 22R?

Toyota dealer or long time Toyota tech should be able to answer.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Are you sure it's not a 4Y engine?

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by CCCC

Maybe a reach out to TIEM, Toyota Industrial Equipment Manufacturing? Link below. Columbus, Indiana. They are the ones who make / assemble / customize Toyota forklifts for the U.S. market. Call and see if you can get connected with someone in the service parts area. They may not be able to retail the part. But they can probably tell you who can. Interchange as well...

https://www.toyotamhs.com/about-tla/toyota-industrial-equipment/

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If it is a Toyota from the year range you are stating it is a gray market lift truck. A parts book will not get you what you want. Best bet is to remove the Dist. and take it to some one who knows Toyota's inside and out and see if they can help you identify what it came from. I spent many years working on those gray market trucks and they are a pain in the rear. The serial numbers were made up and stamped in the frame when they came off the ship, so the serial number is a waste of time also.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks to all who have replied here. The full model designation is 2R 1488577, although that has not been helpful to the task so far - maybe due to the gray market import aspect.

We will try all of the recommended tactics here. I have been hoping to find "that gray haired old dude" out there somewhere who will know off the top of his head.

The dist is out - and we will go head and remove the camshaft as well - and try to get them in front of a knowledgeable tech, even if by photos.

Thanks to all - still welcoming help.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't forget to look at the 20r.

Is the gear broken for sure? I have siezed the distributor bearings and sheared the roll pin between the gear and shaft.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
2R. The 1.5 L (1,490 cc) 2R family was produced from 1964 through 1971. It is a square engine, with bore and stroke of 78 mm (3.07 in). Again, an LPG version, the 2R-LPG, was produced alongside the gasoline version.
Torque output: 108–234 N⋅m (80–173 lb⋅ft)

8R and 8R-C was used in auto thru 71.
72 saw the introduction of 18R-C
20R came along in mid 70s
22R was introduced in 81
22RE in 82
I have owned and driven all of the above.

An industrial engine built in the 60s is not a 20R or a 22R.

As to the OP's question, sorry that is before my time. But it sounds like a couple guys gave good suggestions.

Assuming the serial number on the truck is worthless as suggested. The engine should still have its own serial number from the manufacturer. Perhaps that # would be helpful in your search for parts.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
CCCC Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
View through the dist mount hole shows gear tooth damage - dist loses a position or two every time the shaft rotates. Camshaft removal coming up.

I believe the model number shown earlier is stamped on the engine. Thanks for the confirming numerology about models/years.

Somehow we will ID and get this component - most likely due to info/suggestions you all have given here.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (Akhutr, Anaconda, 35, 33sixSS, 907brass, 7 invisible), 1,447 guests, and 896 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,413
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.