-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
OP Offline
M
Well, after about 5 years of drooling, I "pulled the trigger" on a SW Mtn Gun in .45 LC. What a sweet machine. Anyways, Id like to get a nice set of grips on it, thought I'd get some suggestions on where to get started. Nothing too fancy, this is my dream sidearm, and I intend to carry it lots in crummy conditions.

Thanks!

Bob Farrell

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I really like Ahrend's Retro Target grips. They fit the gun like a glove, and, they fit my semi-small hands with the same glove like fit. They run around $60.00 in several different wood materials. Your Mountain Gun may need a different style of Ahrends, but I don't think for the money you'd be sorry. I have four pair of the Ahrends in different styles and types of woods and they're excellent handgun grips. D&J Gun Repair is a really decent place to look for Ahrend's grips, you can buy the actual pair of grips in the pic's, and the service is fast and honest.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I bought a set of Hogue wood grips for my Mountain Gun in .44 mag. They looked good on it, but they just didn't fit my hands. I took them out of the package, put them on, and then took them off. If you want I can take some pics of them and send them to you. You can have them for what I have in them which is $45 if I remember correctly.

Just let me know.....

Keith

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I have yet to find decent grips for my .44 Mag Mountain Gun. I have tried Hogue, Ahrend, Speigle and some other one. I am looking for a combination of conceal ability and comfort.

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I put Pachmeyer round butt rubber grips on my Mtn. Gun, and LOVE the feel of 'em!
Virgil B.

Last edited by vbshootinrange; 09/25/07.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
How big are your hands?? I bought 2 sets of S&W Rosewood combat grips. One for a Mod 58 and I for a 45 Colt Special Edition. Comfy and they soak up recoil OK. Worth a look at the S&W website. Look under "Combat Grips" and "N" frame

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I like Eagles on K-frames, but the N-frame Eagles are a bit too large/full for my hands.

Jeff

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like the Pachmayr Decelerator grips on a Mountain Gun. They are nice and soft and have a covered backstrap - just the thing for a handgun that bites when it barks. wink

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
R
RGS Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
mtgreenheads

My Mt Gun wore a Pachmyer Presentation grip for years. It would fill your need for a durable no fuss grip. It covers the back strap, and makes the heavy loads bearable.

That grip is now on the M357 which bites harder. I put a Jerry Miculek S&W black & gray laminated grip on the MG. It seems to take advantage of the round butt frame by slimming down at the bottom where most target grips get wider. It is also long enough I can get part of my support hand on the grip. (small hands)
I have not had time to shoot it with the new grip yet. Soon.

Rick
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
To my eye there are several problems with the rubber grips. First is they are ugly and have no soul. Next is their weight. They can make a handgun real top heavy in the holster. If the gun is worn with an outer covering garmint, the rubber can be sticky catching the clothing and causing it to either print, or fumble the draw. Lastly, the last pair of Pachmayer's I had my hands on was no where near the quality I remembered them to be. The grips didn't fit the frame of the gun at all, the screw didn't want to tighten and stuck out considerably past the washer/nut on the other side, and still the grip seemed to want to slip on the frame of the gun during firing. E-mailing Lyman brought a gratifying immediate response and they made the grips good. I threw them in the junk drawer. Regarding Hogues, I don't care for the Hogue mounting system at all. They aren't even in the running.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

498 members (12344mag, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 60 invisible), 2,411 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,017
Posts18,500,387
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.