Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by shootem
...Fiochi 50 round boxes of Vmax in different weights...

That's almost cheating......almost.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

I’m just glad I was able to rathole enough components over the years to load my own. This old guy just too cheap to pay over a buck each for squirrel loads. Started loading because .270 Weatherby ammo got up to $25 a box!

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I’m just glad I was able to rathole enough components over the years to load my own. This old guy just too cheap to pay over a buck each for squirrel loads. Started loading because .270 Weatherby ammo got up to $25 a box!

Same here. I bought a 300 wby rifle without knowing how much ammo was. Back when everything else was $9.99 (30-06 and 308) a box. 300 WBY ammo was approaching $30/box. After the first couple hundred rounds I loaded on my rockchucker press, the whole supreme kit was paid for.. And yes, I loaded up 200 rounds very shortly after buying that press in the mid 90's. I wore the barrel out on that poor old rifle with 180gr ballistic tips. Back when they were $12/box. R-P brass was plentiful and cheap too.

There were some younger guys spraying that chidt at the range the other day. I picked up 150 pcs of GFL brass thanks to those guys. Sometimes spraying and praying does have its benefits. After they left, another guy showed up with his ar and he was shooting that Fiocchi stuff. Seemed to shoot well. I asked if that brass was any good to reload and he said "yes it is damn good". I said I just picked up 150 pieces from some kids that were trying to burn out their barrels with it. He was shooting the 40gr vmax through his 8 twist ar and it appeared to like the stuff. He was having some issues with his new Vortex scope though. He asked me if I had ever seen a Vortex that didn't adjust right. I said yes, I have some friends that have had issues with Vortex, I don't buy them. He said he was going to send it back.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Way over thinking. The Blue Collar link has over 3 pages of .223 ammo in stock. Standouts include 40 rounds of Winchester 45 grain sp for $38ish. Fiochi 50 round boxes of Vmax in different weights for about the same. A bunch of other brands to fit any taste. In a house or basic yard I’m reasonably sure any designed to expand will expand and do extensive damage whether fired from a 10” or 16” barrel. Buy & blast for function. Maybe get a linear muzzle device on the chance some of the concussion might actually be diverted forward. It ain’t this hard.

Forward concussion would be a good thing in this instance. Especially from a pistol length barrel. Those are obnoxioulsy loud and the concussion is fierce. Focused downrange on an intruder would be the ticket..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Same here. I bought a 300 wby rifle without knowing how much ammo was. Back when everything else was $9.99 (30-06 and 308) a box. 300 WBY ammo was approaching $30/box. After the first couple hundred rounds I loaded on my rockchucker press, the whole supreme kit was paid for.. And yes, I loaded up 200 rounds very shortly after buying that press in the mid 90's. I wore the barrel out on that poor old rifle with 180gr ballistic tips. Back when they were $12/box. R-P brass was plentiful and cheap too.

There were some younger guys spraying that chidt at the range the other day. I picked up 150 pcs of GFL brass thanks to those guys. Sometimes spraying and praying does have its benefits. After they left, another guy showed up with his ar and he was shooting that Fiocchi stuff. Seemed to shoot well. I asked if that brass was any good to reload and he said "yes it is damn good". I said I just picked up 150 pieces from some kids that were trying to burn out their barrels with it. He was shooting the 40gr vmax through his 8 twist ar and it appeared to like the stuff. He was having some issues with his new Vortex scope though. He asked me if I had ever seen a Vortex that didn't adjust right. I said yes, I have some friends that have had issues with Vortex, I don't buy them. He said he was going to send it back.

Issues with a Vortex scope that's not a Razor. Once again, not a surprise.
One of my favorite 5 star reviews for a Vortex Strike Eagle was from a guy who had it fail on his first shoot, but Vortex sent him out a new one next day air so he didn't miss the entire competition....

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'd say the Hornady 55 or 60 grain .223 TAP Urban would be a good choice. It's not designed to penetrate barriers and should still expand well out of an SBR. Hornady claims a muzzle velocity of 2650 out of a 10.5 inch rifle for the 55 grain. Whether it will penetrate walls I don't know. I've seen testing that says M193 will not penetrate walls because it tumbles, so the Federal 55 grain XM193, which is relatively cheap, might be worth considering although it's older technology. You definitely want something that expands and doesn't penetrate walls too much.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by bowmanh
I'd say the Hornady 55 or 60 grain .223 TAP Urban would be a good choice. It's not designed to penetrate barriers and should still expand well out of an SBR. Hornady claims a muzzle velocity of 2650 out of a 10.5 inch rifle for the 55 grain. Whether it will penetrate walls I don't know. I've seen testing that says M193 will not penetrate walls because it tumbles, so the Federal 55 grain XM193, which is relatively cheap, might be worth considering although it's older technology. You definitely want something that expands and doesn't penetrate walls too much.

M193 shoots through wall, just not as many as 00 buck.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bowmanh
You definitely want something that expands and doesn't penetrate walls too much.

Until you do actually want to punch thru a wall.

Nothing effective for defense is going to reliably stop in 2 sheets of dry wall.

Being able to engage the goblins trying to breach the front door before they breach the front door might be a good capability.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I want to punch through walls. The LAST thing I want is someone to be able to hide from my fire by getting behind two layers of sheetrock!

Trigger discipline, have a plan, shoot to stop.

Given the lack of education in military arms, I suspect the bad guys think a wall will stop a 5.56, which puts them at a tactical disadvantage and me at a tactical advantage.

I love me some tactical advantage.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by David_Walter
I want to punch through walls. The LAST thing I want is someone to be able to hide from my fire by getting behind two layers of sheetrock!

Trigger discipline, have a plan, shoot to stop.

Given the lack of education in military arms, I suspect the bad guys think a wall will stop a 5.56, which puts them at a tactical disadvantage and me at a tactical advantage.

I love me some tactical advantage.

In home defense we all get to choose whether our walls,windows, and doors are very weak cover thats unsafe for cared ones to hide behind or concealment.

Most all CONUS walls, windows, and doors are concealment.

When some one wants to "pie" a corner when the corner is not bullet proof the outcome is stacked very badly against the "pie" guy.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Yeah different strokes for different folks.

My old house in Texas had brick on 3 sides, closest neighbors were like 15 ft and that’s a stretch.

This place now, Glaser safety slugs might be the ticket 😆

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by viking
Yeah different strokes for different folks.

My old house in Texas had brick on 3 sides, closest neighbors were like 15 ft and that’s a stretch.

This place now, Glaser safety slugs might be the ticket 😆

Dang, nothing here but Wife and i, livestock and vehicles outside, nothing behind me for 25 miles, half mile to the east and west, rural two lane highway 500 yards out front, guess i could mow some bricks if i had too, 7.62 REPR with 150gr etips and 176gr Lehighs.

Hope like hell none of us have to make a damn mess, if the felons leave us be all will remain good.

Trump Won!
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
My tool box has more than one wrench in it…

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by TWR

Yeah but most folks want a crescent wrench thats both SAE and Metric....

Not us. We keep the toolbox full.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by TWR

Yeah but most folks want a crescent wrench thats both SAE and Metric....

Not us. We keep the toolbox full.

I finally found a crescent wrench that is metric / SAE , but it was left handed.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I called Hornady and Guy I talked to said that the Hornady Superformance did in fact have a different Pressure curve than standard ammo and recommended using a rifle gas system or an adjustable Gas Block.

If anyone has an adjustable Gas Block or Key or a system that uses a rifle Length gas system and want this ammo I would do some trading for these boxes of Hornady Superformance .223 75 Grain BTHP for some 55Grain Softpoints(Remington, Winchester.Speer
Federal etc.

I would like to do a face to face and I Travel between West Memphis Arkansas through Memphis Tennessee and as far South as Senatobia Mississippi.

Send me a PM if interested

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Have you shot it? Does it function? What does the brass look like?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by rost495
Have you shot it? Does it function? What does the brass look like?

No I have not shot any of them, I bought 2 boxes of it several years ago and just set them in a closet.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
2 boxes. Like 40 or 100 rounds. I'd not loose any sleep over it. though thats not enough rounds to figure if its reliable or not. Guess trading it or selling it might not be a bad deal. OTOH bird in hand for rainy days...

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
2 boxes of 20
Not a big deal as you say, still I would like to sell or trade if there is someone close to me that Likes the heavier bullet loads.

I am going to run an ad in classifieds and see if anyone wants to buy or trade.
If there is fine and if not, I will Just set them back in the closet, as you said no lost sleep!!

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1936M71, 61 invisible), 2,463 guests, and 1,348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,195
Posts18,485,050
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.