Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#16917046 02/03/22
K
KRAKMT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I am considering purchasing a property next to a river. This property is remote.
Of course I would like to cross an atv to the other side. So I have been contemplating ways to make a cable bridge.
River is approximately 70 yards wide with steep 8ft banks.
Entering river is prohibited.

I have seen several old one lane metal bridges, but realistically they are overkill weight wise and not really long enough without extensive refabrication.

So for the engineers, what diameter of cable could be stretched across with decking over the cables.

Similar to

https://www.loscabosguide.com/loscaboscanyonbridge/

GB4

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Not a bridge engineer, and never having constructed a cable bridge (but lots of other types of bridges), what you are proposing would be quite an undertaking. Quite an undertaking.

The attachment you had indicates 2” cable, but that project has a higher loading than your single ATV and the span is quite a bit more

Last edited by flagstaff; 02/03/22.

"Successful is leaving something in better shape than you inherited it in. Keep that in mind, son." Dad
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yikes! The link to that bridge you posted is pretty impressive. When I saw this thread title I was thinking something like an ag ditch. For an ATV bridge to span a 70 yard river you have way more faith in your fellow Campfire members than I do to ask random strangers for bridge building advice and cable tensile strength suggestions!

I would think the state or local government will want to be involved with permits and that you’re going to need a structural engineer consultant to sign off on it?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If you know anyone that's a lineman. talk to them about the the cable they use to guy utility poles, they call it strand and it comes in different sizes and has a very high tensile strength and is weather proof.
They also make a bunch of hardware for attaching and anchoring the strand.
Hope this helps.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

IC B2

K
KRAKMT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
I know the state guy and he said as long as the bridge was above high water, they would not get involved.
Bridge would not be public use.
The campfire wisdom is often like big stick’s postings. Somewhere inside is a shard of wisdom, often the rest is less helpful.
But it is pretty amazing the diverse backgrounds of this board.
I have also found that no matter what design is suggested, people have improvements to offer..

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Is the river a navigatable river? Seems a single line with a ferry might be easier?

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bearhuntr
Is the river a navigatable river? Seems a single line with a ferry might be easier?

This might be the shard of wisdom....
figure a floatinhg dock in conjuntion with a winch on the ATV (and tie downs of course) you could pull off your own cable operated ferry then go with the $500 pedestrian suspension bridge as a back up...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
K
KRAKMT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Technically, navigable but after spring it drops to under a foot.
The above suspension is somewhat my thoughts.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds like a fun project but not for the faint of heart.
There are many calculators on the interweb to help you with structural load calculations. The biggest variable will be your anchor points on either side. For example, a 100# load in the center of a 210' span puts many tons of "pull" on the end of your cable. The soil, rock, or whatever on the banks needs to be right. A couple rail ties buried a few feet deep won't touch it.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

That's what I was thinking.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by KRAKMT
Technically, navigable but after spring it drops to under a foot.
The above suspension is somewhat my thoughts.

so fordable in the summer, but prohibited... what about a floating bridge? or is there a high probability of flood born debris taking it out?

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
It would be cheaper to buy a 2nd ATV and build a shed for it than a suspension bridge,that would get whiped out by a sawyer nxt big major flood

I AM AMERICA!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For another off the cuff unqualified comment,
That's a whopper of a project for a engineer alone let alone the construction process.

I'd have to think a single cable that could handle a cable car capable of carrying an ATV and a couple of people might ring in as more cost effective and require less engineering knowledge.

The bridge you've refrenced was created by a very knowledgeable architect (Enrique Norten). There are so many factors involved it's staggering.

Best of luck, hope your dreams become reality, keep us posted!

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
K
KRAKMT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Very steep bank 8 ft plus sides and not able to place structure inside high water boundary.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I’ve built a couple as contractor. Both were more than walking bridges. The calculations involved from buckle points to cable strand to wind shear to dirt plus a thousand more were mind boggling. I saw them, thank god I did not have to understand or interpret them, just build to resulting spec.
Your asking about a very involved undertaking. Also don’t forget insurance. If you don’t think anyone else will access your bridge or you can keep them from it your wrong. Those are crazy magnets to people.
Be careful.
Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
K
KRAKMT Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by White_Bear
Sounds like a fun project but not for the faint of heart.
There are many calculators on the interweb to help you with structural load calculations. The biggest variable will be your anchor points on either side. For example, a 100# load in the center of a 210' span puts many tons of "pull" on the end of your cable. The soil, rock, or whatever on the banks needs to be right. A couple rail ties buried a few feet deep won't touch it.

Definitely,
Soil is river bottom silt, concrete would be 100+ miles away.
I do have trackhoe access in neighborhood for deep anchor but an old dozer sunk into ground is probably more anchor.

This is hunting camp area.
The gondola idea was suggested by one of my siblings.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
A 210’ span is not trivial. That’s a lot of load on a cable bridge, requiring some pretty substantial abutments, towers, and anchors. Got $50,000 “+ for materials, including concrete bases and footers. You’re talking like 35,000 lb+ end loads.

Last edited by Stammster; 02/03/22.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Now that's "outside-the-box" thinking. Reminds me of the Josie Wales movie. Missouri boat (ATV) ride!

Having worked with "real" bridge engineers, you don't want to get them involved.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 160user, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 58 invisible), 2,600 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,946
Posts18,480,283
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.