Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A
OP Offline
A
Howdy all, I'm new to the campfire (been reading, shadowing and taking notes for a whole bunch of years, but never bothered to register).

I've been waffling, and heavily on the fence about getting another rifle.

My main gun that I've owned and used for years is a well-traveled .35 Whelen in a Rem 700 action that a fella down in Texas made custom more years ago than I can recall. I love everything about that rifle except the lack of controlled round feed. I still have dreams of going after Alaskan peninsula browns one day - maybe, or musk ox.

I've had others, and dearly loved a .416 Rigby, built on a BRNO 602. Some years back, another fella liked that Rigby more than I did, and I sold it to him.

I've been happy with my Whelen for 10+ years now, and 250gr. Nosler partitions at 2600 fps seems to do just fine.

A few weeks back, my son and I discussed going on a Bison "hunt" in Ohio to put some meat in the freezer, and the thought of a bison has me missing my Rigby. Plus, my son wants my BigHorn Model 89 in .500SW for his college graduation. He wants to shoot a buffalo with that Model 89, so that'll be our rifle for this trip in a few weeks.

I've got 2 holes now in my safe, and I've been waffling on maybe getting a .375 HH - or even a .404 Jeffery to replace it. The .375 seems more sensible. I've never reloaded, but I'm not opposed to it - especially since ammo for the .35 Whelen seems to be getting more scarce every year.

Typically, I hunt whitetail deer, and maybe the occasional bison smile

HR IC

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You could kill Ohio bison with a 22.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Get a .375 H&H.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Seems like you got a few shekels in the coffer. Buy a bunch of guns. I look at my collection as more of a golf bag, there’s a rifle for every situation (sometimes five). I’m having a .35 whelen built on a M70 Classic Stainless right now. It’ll be redundant to other whelens, but I don’t care. You could go to a local butcher and get some dandy freezer beef, but shooting a bison in Ohio is just cooler. Dare to dream and make some cool mistakes.

Go Bearcats
A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by CreekChub
Seems like you got a few shekels in the coffer. Buy a bunch of guns. I look at my collection as more of a golf bag, there’s a rifle for every situation (sometimes five). I’m having a .35 whelen built on a M70 Classic Stainless right now. It’ll be redundant to other whelens, but I don’t care. You could go to a local butcher and get some dandy freezer beef, but shooting a bison in Ohio is just cooler. Dare to dream and make some cool mistakes.

The buffalo is mostly for my son - he's been trying to get a deer for 4 years now and hasn't ever gotten one. But between his ROTC and college schedule, I admit we haven't spend as much time in the woods in a while - just shooting at the range, and even that hasn't been as much the last year or so. At any rate, it'll get him a photo-op with the .500 and a buffalo, and it'll get me a ribeye.

Golf-bag I reckon is a fair assessment. I've got plenty smaller (if you count .30-06, .308, .243, and 6.5 CM smaller), but when I got rid of the Rigby, and now my son wants that .500 SW levergun - that puts the Whelen as my top-end gun, and I'm starting to feel "loudenboomer-ish" again.

I know I don't need it, but I reckon a .375 would fit the bill. And yeah, I was thinking to call someone and have one built like I wanted it. I was thinking Satterlee and having them build on one of their Titanium Mauser 98 actions.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Hell, I’ll get you started with a M70 .375 h&h in a tupperware stock. Hunt as is, or turn it into something over the top

Go Bearcats
N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Talk me out of another rifle?

You have come to the wrong place my friend.

We are a bunch of enablers.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[quote=Alexicacon] I love everything about that rifle except the lack of controlled round feed. I still have dreams of going after Alaskan peninsula browns one day - maybe, or musk ox. [quote]

I'm likely not telling you anything you don't know but you can still kill a brown bear and even a musk ox without CRF. whistle

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So...

You've got a golf bag of rifles to use and a son in college

If you were to leave your son one rifle... One Rifle

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
No, buy all you can!

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[quote=nyrifleman]Talk me out of another rifle?

----------------------------

grin grin grin

That was my First Thot !!

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Talk me out of another rifle?

👍

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by johnw
So...

You've got a golf bag of rifles to use and a son in college

If you were to leave your son one rifle... One Rifle

I got to hold an authentic JH Rigby & Sons in .416 Rigby once. Serial number on the gun was 3. It was a moving experience. Both getting to hold it, and looking at the price sticker the store wanted for it. It was priced right to sell too ... if it were a 3 bedroom 2 bath house.

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Hell no! Word might get back to my wife on what I've done and she will use those same words on me. Like nyrifleman said above, you've come to the wrong place. Our job is to talk you into it.

Welcome to the fire. I'll leave the rest of that greeting to someone else.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Don’t worry about needing CRF. Your PF 700 is really good and reliable. Actually easier to get to function perfectly than a CRF.

If you need 35 W ammo just send a PM. I have plenty and reasonably priced.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
When I'm eyeing a new rifle I say to myself, would I rather have this new gun or that same amount of $ in ammo for my existing rifle. Most of the time buying more ammo wins.

A
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by RinB

Don’t worry about needing CRF. Your PF 700 is really good and reliable. Actually easier to get to function perfectly than a CRF.

If you need 35 W ammo just send a PM. I have plenty and reasonably priced.

Sending you a PM, sir. Or I thought I was - says I'm not a big enough member level yet -- Please send me a PM and I will see if it lets me respond to you.

Last edited by Alexicacon; 02/05/22.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Not that it gets you a ton over the Whelen, but a 9.3x62 is cooler than 375 and I'm guessing your Brown bear guide wouldn't sneeze at a 286 partition.

Very cool gift for your son. He'll remember that trip forever.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
get a 375 H&H its more common to buy ammo for, otherwise get 338 Lapua that has gotten to be real popular easy to find ammo for , very accurate and this cartridge the 338 Lapua shoots a long ways out too.

Last edited by pete53; 02/05/22.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
O
OGB Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by pete53
get a 375 H&H its more common to buy ammo for, otherwise get 338 Lapua that has gotten to be real popular easy to find ammo for , very accurate and this cartridge the 338 Lapua shoots a long ways out too.

The stamp "338 Lapua" on any barrel is a lie. What that rifle is actually chambered for is $10 bills!

Seriously though, guns are in a finite and unique category. How many things do you spend money on that will last multiple lifetimes? (Quality cast iron pans come to mind but you don't hold them and dream of far off places) A rifle can be an investment in a tool. For some that is all it is. Even at that it is expected to be used for years and years.
Some of my are guns are just tools but others keep me motivated.
By the 375 H&H

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 62 invisible), 2,370 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,702
Posts18,494,272
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.