Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by sactoller
Originally Posted by Buzz
Here are some pictures of what I was saying earlier that I just don't get.

I cannot imagine a 4x4 without hooks on the front.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Who designed this awful rear bumper? I don't recall ever seeing a truck you can't use the bumper as a step to get in the tailgate. That's just a piss poor design

Unlike the previous generation with massive brakes, these LOOK much smaller. I don't have a picture of the rear axle but it is shockingly small compared to the previous generation.

Just not sure where they are going with these changes. I won't even get into the 3.4L TT (it's not a 3.5L). I am sure Toyota will get it right there eventually, but I'd sure not want to be an early adapter.

Those are 22" rims, they will make the 16" disc brakes look tiny. That thing must ride like chit, 22" rims with 35" tires....not a lot of rubber.

Definite downgrade from the 2020 TRD I had that had 18s. Not sure why everyone is going to 22s. Not a great idea for ride and off-road.

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
My 2020 Tundra TRD off road with a 6.5 ft bed - its all good

Last edited by Spotshooter; 02/04/22.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm keeping my 2000 Tundra. V-8 4x4. 128,000 miles.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Ive seen all sorts of problems with the first gen tundras. An iditarod musher hauled a dog box on a twin axle trailer and the tranmission blew.

I just drove last year model first gen tundra that belonged to my hunting buddy. He passed away. He treated his vehicles very well. The 4wd wasnt working and both the 2wd/4wd and 4lo/4hi button were blinking.

My neighbor up the hill hit a coupla frost heaves with brand new ball joints. In both instanses, the tire stuffed into the wheel well and he almost rolled the vehicle.

The rear spring packs are marshmellow dog sht and cant haul any real weight. Ive had to install add a leafs in two tundras.

The timing belt jobs are insanely complicated, and expensive. Ive assisted with two timimg belt jobs. The original belts were severly cracked at just over 100'000 miles.

Just because a truck says "toyota" on it, does not mean its invincible.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Mainer, I bought 3 Toyotas in 2007, a Tundra, a Tacoma, and an FJ Cruiser. The Tundra and Tacoma have the dash rotary switch for 4wd...biggest pain in the ass annoyance I've ever seen. Won't go in...eventually goes in, won't go out, the colder it is the worse it gets. The FJ puddle jumper 4wd stick is mechanical, quick, easy, positive, in or out hot or cold. And the other thing that just spins me out, the high speed gear ratio in reverse. Does any pickup really need to go 55 mph in reverse? Or endlessly slip the clutch to ease up to a trailer ball? Rear spring packs..."marshmallow dogschidt"... that is the best description I've heard yet. But, no engine /drivetrain troubles, Tundra has 210K, Tacoma has 170K, Puddle Jumper has 70K.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Ive seen all sorts of problems with the first gen tundras. An iditarod musher hauled a dog box on a twin axle trailer and the tranmission blew.

I just drove last year model first gen tundra that belonged to my hunting buddy. He passed away. He treated his vehicles very well. The 4wd wasnt working and both the 2wd/4wd and 4lo/4hi button were blinking.

My neighbor up the hill hit a coupla frost heaves with brand new ball joints. In both instanses, the tire stuffed into the wheel well and he almost rolled the vehicle.

The rear spring packs are marshmellow dog sht and cant haul any real weight. Ive had to install add a leafs in two tundras.

The timing belt jobs are insanely complicated, and expensive. Ive assisted with two timimg belt jobs. The original belts were severly cracked at just over 100'000 miles.

Timing belt on a Tundra?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by pal
I'm keeping my 2000 Tundra. V-8 4x4. 128,000 miles.

In my opinion, those were the best Tundras of all with that 4.7L V8. We had very good luck with 2-3 of those at work and they lasted well past 250k.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Obviously you are talking the !st gen Tundra with the 4.7 or the very first Gen 2s? the 5.7 has a chain, so does the 4.6.
I have NEVER had a problem with my 07 going in and out of 4wd, done it hundreds of times. Twice today as a matter of fact.
Did have to replace the oil sending unit on it today though. 175,000 miles and 14+ yrs? expect stuff like that.
The 2nd gen tundra has a fairly low reverse, lower than the Fords and Chevys I've had.
Are you sure we are talking about the same truck?
The first gen was a totally different animal.
I have never heard of a Gen 2 Tundra losing a ball joint, my truck has never even had an alignment in almost 15 years.

How many new trucks have a stick to engage the 4wd these days? almost none, wish they did but it is what it is.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Taking delivery of a 2022 Tundra SR5 with the TRD off-road package, etc between Feb 14th -19th. Wish me luck! Couldn’t pass up getting more than what I paid for my 2021 4Runner off-road premium in trade with zero “market adjustment” on the new Tundra I spec’d out to my liking. I bought the 4Runner as a burner to get what I wanted in this crazy market 😁

Last edited by DV_Ramrod; 02/05/22.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Old elk hunter, yep the first gen tundras had a timing belt.

Forgot another issue ive seen:

Warped or cracked/leaky exuahst manifolds on the first gen tundras. Always under 100,000 miles.

Hauling a small snowmachine trailer with an RMK 800 and about 600 lbs of supplies:

9 mpg at 60 mph.

A 7.3 powerstroke or a 6bt cummins pulling or hauling twice that amount of weight gets far better fuel economy.

IC B3

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My first-generation (1st year) Tundra has been trouble-free with the exception of the starter, which was replaced at ~117,000 miles. I have replaced the timing belt and water pump, as preventative maintenance, and will soon be replacing my headlight housings, as they have clouded up over these 22 years. Fuel mileage is rather poor, ~11 mpg around town. But the truck is very powerful, has extremely good ride and handling, and is very quiet inside.

I've owned Suburban, Yukon, Explorer, Lariat and Land Cruiser 4x4's, and my Tundra has been the best of all of them, by far, particularly in quality and workmanship, with the GMC's having been the most expensive to maintain and the most troublesome; the Explorer having no trouble in the three years I owned it.

I plan on keeping my 2000 Tundra. While it isn't what I would call "pretty", it has grown on me and at least isn't F'ugly like the new ones. Also it seems the perfect size, which is a bit smaller than the new ones.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Regarding the 2022 Tundra,theres a pile of them that were brought back to dealers all over the country.

Turbo wastegate issues, check engine lights,surging, etc.

Some are waiting for months, for the lack of back-ordered parts to fix the issues.

I bet there will be a recall. If not, customers without their trucks will have to resort to the lemon laws of their respective states.

Oh what a feeling.......Toyota.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
2022 Tundra has unremarkable gas mileage and for Toyota an overly complicated design. If people think they are getting 300k out of one of these I want some of the drugs they are using. Toyota earned their engine reputation by building under stressed big block designs .

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
2022 Tundra has unremarkable gas mileage and for Toyota an overly complicated design. If people think they are getting 300k out of one of these I want some of the drugs they are using. Toyota earned their engine reputation by building under stressed big block designs .

Big block designs?
The very highest mileage engines out there that I know of are the 4.7 V8?
The 5.7 is a good engine but not the best they have built.

If I had to lay down money between the twin turbo Ford and the Toyota I would go with the Toyota and smile about it.
Keep in mind just because an engine is a smaller displacement V6 it can have internals beefed up enough to handle whatever the design parameters are and I'm sure that's the case.

When I bought my 07 I heard all the same bull crap we are hearing now, years later it has proven to be the most reliable truck out there, time will tell of course but Toyota didn't get where they are by doing dumb stuff.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by hillbill
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Big block designs?
The very highest mileage engines out there that I know of are the 4.7 V8?
The 5.7 is a good engine but not the best they have built.

If I had to lay down money between the twin turbo Ford and the Toyota I would go with the Toyota and smile about it.
Keep in mind just because an engine is a smaller displacement V6 it can have internals beefed up enough to handle whatever the design parameters are and I'm sure that's the case.

When I bought my 07 I heard all the same bull crap we are hearing now, years later it has proven to be the most reliable truck out there, time will tell of course but Toyota didn't get where they are by doing dumb stuff.

We are talking about a 2022 Tundra not an older version Tundra. Didn't someone drive a 5.7 Tundra 1 million miles? Didn't they run a variation of that engine in their luxury lineup including the Land Cruiser , I guess Toyota must be stupid using that instead of a 4.7 in a land cruiser? I avoid twin turbo Fords and would never consider a new Tundra with a twin turbo V6 although it is probably a more solid design then the Ford.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
V6's are stupid in a full size truck application.

I like em in mini vans though.

The 3 liter inline six diesel is the only current 1/2 ton truck engine that makes sense to me.

I wish gm wouldve done more with the 4.2l vortec inline six.

I also wish toyota wouldve done more with the 4.5l 1fzfe as well

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Get accustomed to it guys, in 10 more years they will be all electric, then we will be wishing for a conventional engine.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hillbill
Get accustomed to it guys, in 10 more years they will be all electric, then we will be wishing for a conventional engine.

Well, at least we won’t have to bitch about cam phasers, timing belts or AFM...... wink.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by pal
My first-generation (1st year) Tundra has been trouble-free with the exception of the starter, which was replaced at ~117,000 miles. I have replaced the timing belt and water pump, as preventative maintenance, and will soon be replacing my headlight housings, as they have clouded up over these 22 years. Fuel mileage is rather poor, ~11 mpg around town. But the truck is very powerful, has extremely good ride and handling, and is very quiet inside.

I've owned Suburban, Yukon, Explorer, Lariat and Land Cruiser 4x4's, and my Tundra has been the best of all of them, by far, particularly in quality and workmanship, with the GMC's having been the most expensive to maintain and the most troublesome; the Explorer having no trouble in the three years I owned it.

I plan on keeping my 2000 Tundra. While it isn't what I would call "pretty", it has grown on me and at least isn't F'ugly like the new ones. Also it seems the perfect size, which is a bit smaller than the new ones.

Can you offer what application you are using?

Thanks Pal!

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak

crazy

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (21, 160user, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 219 Wasp, 67 invisible), 2,567 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,088
Posts18,482,895
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.