Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Remington280
It's pretty good when you fire one time 6.5 prc 139 scenars and drop two deer. Ha!, I'm liking it so far.

LMAO. Can get 3 with one shot and a 223. Do that quite often with pigs. LOL

LIne those pigs up and I'm sure it's doable.. actually mine was on accident. I was culling some does and shot the biggest one... along with the one behind her.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
HR IC

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

A lot of just like a ,270 talk here, i have owned and hunted with a ,270 sense 1956, the .270 is nothing like a 6.5 PRC, on the range or in the field, the 6.5 PRC out shoots every .270 i have ever seen, close or far. Rio7

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
With just a sample of one each I have found the same to be true. With factory ammo my PRC is more accurate than my 270 Winchester by a noticeable margin. But it could be that I haven't found the right ammo for the Winchester yet.

J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Can’t speak to factory ammo as I’ve not shot 20 rounds of it in all my guns in past 40 years. But I can say my current 270 has shot extremely well, and is quite adequate out to as far as I care to shoot.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I was really interested in it last year and was looking forward to adding it to my battery. Steve Hornady’s capitulation to the oppressors And embracing jab mandates for his employees abruptly ended my desire to make the 6.5 PRC my next rifle purchase (or any other Hornady made product, design, etc for that matter).

If I knew my money would be going directly to the EMPLOYEES who rejected the draconian “mandates”, I’d consider it again, but I have yet to hear/read about him sincerely apologizing to his employees and admitting he was wrong (instead of the dishonest and weak apology letter he sent out.)

Probably not what you wanted to hear, but that’s my take on the Hornady name/brand right now (and it’s a shame, because I think they have some wonderful employees, neat ideas and a crazy good marketing program).

Last edited by Stump Buster; 02/05/22.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My son asked for a 6.5 PRC for Christmas. He said either a Browning X-Bolt or Christiansen Arms Mesa would be idea. Around Thanksgiving, one of the local stores runs clearance on guns they’ve had in stock the longest. They had both rifles and after handling them, I bought the X-Bolt for him. We got his scope mounted last weekend and wen to the range. We got it thirsting the bullseye at 100 and then he went and shot the gong at 300 yards. I only put 2 rounds through it myself, but overall I liked it. I have a .260 and 6.5 CM, so I’m not going to buy myself one, but if I didn’t have those, it would be at the top of my list of calibers to buy a rifle in.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Have owned a Prc sense way before anyone ever heard of C--19. Rio7.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
It’s not so simple, but if I could I would opt for a 6.5/06 over a PRC.

The PRC uses a mag bolt face, so it will need a beefy action. Not much weight savings over a standard action.

The PRC case is more prone to feeding problems in my opinion. I have a PRC vanguard and it has feeding issues.

The PRC has reduced mag capacity. My rifle holds three in the mag. A standard 30/06 rifle will hold 4-5 in an internal magazine.

PRC Brass and factory ammo are hard to come by. 6.5/06 brass could be formed easily enough from available factory brass.

The PRC uses more powder for about the same velocity as a 6.5/06 and is better with a longer barrel to support it.

If I was a major gun maker, I think standardizing the 6.5/06(AI? Maybe) would be a smart move. They could standardize a fast twist and do it right with a proven case that is already mainstream with countless rifle makers all but tooled and ready to make it.

I must admit, my opinion may be tainted. My rifle sucks. But everyone else seems to like their’s.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Certainly not something I need, having 6.5CM's, 7-08's, 7mag, 30-06, etc. What are the pros and cons of this cartridge? I will have all necessary reloading components so I would be set there. The particular rifle I'm looking at is the Sauer Atacama. Thanks.

I like the cartridge. I’d like that or the 6.5 RPM next I think.

Camp is where you make it.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like the cartridge.

If I was to ever get rid of my 270's, it would be on the short list. Along with a 7-08, and gasp! a 6.5 Creedmoor.

If you like the rifle and it fits you, I say go for it.

Arcus Venator
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by WhelenAway
Have you checked the (current) price of 6.5 PRC brass and ammo? I was looking at a high-end rifle that was steeply discounted, but was shocked to see the ammo and brass prices (and I have been feeding other uncommon chamberings at current inflated prices).

Check your LGS. Mine doesn't have any brass or ammo in stock.

Performance wise, the 6.5PRC seems like a short action 270 with higher BC bullets. Since I rarely shoot over 400 yards, I decided against adding one.

Couldn’t agree more. I’ve got a pretty 6.5 PRC. scraped a box of factory ammo up and used those to zero and get a feel for the rifle.

Used the 20 empty’s to get a decent hunting load.

Right now I’m sitting on my hands as I’m not willing to pay 5 bucks a case for Lapua and ADG. I’ve got others and will wait it out.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

I do like the cartridge. Pretty easy to load for and seems to be a nicely set up deal.

Scotty,

That’s one sexy rifle!

As for the 6.5 PRC. I own a couple of them. For me the PRC can give a guy a pretty serious deer and antelope slaying rifle that will have extra legs at distances.

Recoil is tame. Brake the spout and it’s a kitten to shoot.

I gave away a little BC on my bullet selection, preferring the 130g Accubond over Berger’s or Hornady’s eldx.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Jeffrey

If I was a major gun maker, I think standardizing the 6.5/06(AI? Maybe) would be a smart move. They could standardize a fast twist and do it right with a proven case that is already mainstream with countless rifle makers all but tooled and ready to make it.

I think the 6.5-06 is already standardized as the 6.5-06 A-Square.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Certainly not something I need, having 6.5CM's, 7-08's, 7mag, 30-06, etc. What are the pros and cons of this cartridge? I will have all necessary reloading components so I would be set there. The particular rifle I'm looking at is the Sauer Atacama. Thanks.

If you use your rifles primarily for hunting and say your longest shot is 400 yards, I am going to say you are covered with the calibers you listed. I have several 30 cal rifles but I purchased a 300 PRC because I've been told I'm a collector. Whatever. I love to reload and shoot. I have several 6.5 caliber rifles but I'll probably build a 6.5 PRC for shoots and giggles.

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have 2 6.5 PRC rifles. A Seekins havak and a custom built of a surgeon WSM action. I have been extremely impressed with the PRC as a cartridge. It has proven very accurate and easy to load for. I’ve used the havak on four animals this year. 2 caribou and 2 white tails, using 124gr hammer hunter bullets at 3210fps. Performance was outstanding. Quick kills, complete penetration, and good (short) blood trails. It feeds great out of the Seekins and WSM AICS magazines. I have found no downside for it.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Hudge
My son asked for a 6.5 PRC for Christmas. He said either a Browning X-Bolt or Christiansen Arms Mesa would be idea. Around Thanksgiving, one of the local stores runs clearance on guns they’ve had in stock the longest. They had both rifles and after handling them, I bought the X-Bolt for him. We got his scope mounted last weekend and wen to the range. We got it thirsting the bullseye at 100 and then he went and shot the gong at 300 yards. I only put 2 rounds through it myself, but overall I liked it. I have a .260 and 6.5 CM, so I’m not going to buy myself one, but if I didn’t have those, it would be at the top of my list of calibers to buy a rifle in.

After buying and shooting a Browning Hells Canyon x bolt in 6.5 creed if I wanted the 6.5 prc I'd get the same rifle. Mb

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hornady precision hunter 143 gr put a serious drt hurting on the deer round here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Originally Posted by Hudge

After buying and shooting a Browning Hells Canyon x bolt in 6.5 creed if I wanted the 6.5 prc I'd get the same rifle. Mb

The rifle I bought my son is a Hells Canyon one. I am impressed with it. I’ve never owned a Browning, but back in the day I used to drool over A Bolt II’s as a poor Airman at the time they were out of my price range.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I just bought two boxes of 6.5 PRC 147 eldm at Scheels tonight.

Keep your eyes peeled if you are looking for some.

It isn't energy that kills, its holes.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The 6.5 PRC is a well thought out magnum based cartridge and if you don’t have that base covered (long range cartridge for cervidae), it would be an excellent chamber to own. Like others I have several chambers that cover the bases. In my experience nothing in that class unseats the 7mm Rem Mag. For long shots with reduced recoil the 7mm Rem Mag with 140 grain NBT at 3,300 fps is the bomb. The 6.5 PRC, while good, just can’t match the field versatility and power of the 60 year old 7mm Rem Mag so I have no interest.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (22250rem, 2500HD, 219DW, 1234, 007FJ, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,384 guests, and 1,346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,797
Posts18,496,252
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.