Campfire Member
A

GB1

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
no affiliation, but thought someone may be interested. I would be but not a flipper and I need a 375 before this just because they make them.

L
L
I saw this this morning and was very tempted. I see the seller upped the "Buy is now" price from $1050 to $1200. Good thing, because I was going back to look at it now with an itchy finger for 1050.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Not a bad deal in todays market. I wonder if JES could rebore it to .375? Probably have to change the ejector and mag box?

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by tmitch
Not a bad deal in todays market. I wonder if JES could rebore it to .375? Probably have to change the ejector and mag box?

Not sure if there would be enough wall left after a rebore to .375" but if there was, a .375 H&H reamer will not clean up a .300WM chamber. The .300WM case body and shoulder diameter is too wide for the H&H to clean up. A .375 Ruger should clean it up though.

.375 H&H conversion would need the mag box, follower, bolt stop and ejector swapped.

.375 Ruger conversion would not need any parts swapped.

IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Wow... Nothing like being broke when the deals come along...

Originally Posted by War_Eagle
... .375 H&H conversion would need the mag box, follower, bolt stop and ejector swapped. ...

If one were frugal, the spacer can be removed from the factory mag box and brazed / tig'ed. The factory bolt stop and ejector blades can both be shortened 0.200". The only part that you would really need to scrounge for is the 3.6" follower... When I did this a few years ago, I had to try several different followers to get one that properly fed the full stack from any position.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Orion2000

... .375 H&H conversion would need the mag box, follower, bolt stop and ejector swapped. ...

If one were frugal, the spacer can be removed from the factory mag box and brazed / tig'ed. The factory bolt stop and ejector blades can both be shortened 0.200". The only part that you would really need to scrounge for is the 3.6" follower... When I did this a few years ago, I had to try several different followers to get one that properly fed the full stack from any position.

What you describe will work if you are careful and precise in your material removal. I did remove the spacer and weld up the rear joint on the magbox once. No issues there. When I modified the ejector I ran into problems. That little dude can be a tricky mo-fo. I was off on my angle just a bit and ended up with BAD ejection problems. Redneck had to sort me out and a new part had to be ordered. If you were more careful, you should be able to make it work. I was using pretty crude tools at the time and this was about 15 years ago...I've come a LONG way since then (better tools and more knowledge). No way around the follower...that one would definitely need to be sourced.

Though, if you are doing a .375 H&H conversion, you're already into a rebarrel. Depending on the barrel brand and smith doing the work, you're probably at minimum, $6-700 into the project. I doubt a new ejector, bolt stop and follower would be deal breakers in the effort.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Orion2000

What you describe will work if you are careful and precise in your material removal. I did remove the spacer and weld up the rear joint on the magbox once. No issues there. When I modified the ejector I ran into problems. That little dude can be a tricky mo-fo. I was off on my angle just a bit and ended up with BAD ejection problems. Redneck had to sort me out and a new part had to be ordered. If you were more careful, you should be able to make it work. I was using pretty crude tools at the time and this was about 15 years ago...I've come a LONG way since then (better tools and more knowledge). No way around the follower...that one would definitely need to be sourced.

Though, if you are doing a .375 H&H conversion, you're already into a rebarrel. Depending on the barrel brand and smith doing the work, you're probably at minimum, $6-700 into the project. I doubt a new ejector, bolt stop and follower would be deal breakers in the effort.

True... Nothing about being a rifle "looney" is cheap... laugh

Last edited by Orion2000; 02/07/22.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Money order deal breaker for me.. I hate going to the post office.. let me pay with debit/credit card..

Last edited by 79S; 02/07/22.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Well... Someone pushed the Instant Love button...

IC B3

A
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
I guess I should have jumped when he had listed for $1050 but only trade bait for me so hopefully it gets good use.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I would have been sorely tempted by a $1050 BIN price. Still sorting out the one I bought after Christmas. Don’t need another project at the moment.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I bouoght a LH M70 300 WSM yesterday. It'll be shipped in a week or so. It may end up being a donor for something new.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
I bouoght a LH M70 300 WSM yesterday. It'll be shipped in a week or so. It may end up being a donor for something new.

I always thought it would be fun to try to use a WSM action as a donor for a .350 Remingon Magnum or a 9.3BS. My vision was a 20" barrel in a McMillan Hunter's Compact Edge. Not sure I have a need for such a beast....but when did that ever factor into a Looney's rifle plans?!?!?! laugh

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

I always thought it would be fun to try to use a WSM action as a donor for a .350 Remingon Magnum or a 9.3BS. My vision was a 20" barrel in a McMillan Hunter's Compact Edge. Not sure I have a need for such a beast....but when did that ever factor into a Looney's rifle plans?!?!?! laugh

I have had a LH Montana 1999 short action sitting here for several years that I have contemplated barreling to one of the Rem "short mags". I go back and forth between the 6.5 and .350, don't need either one but, what's need have to do with it? laugh
I also have an "extra" Stainless Classic .300 Win like the auction being discussed that I keep thinking needs to be re-barreled to .264 Win Mag. I keep watching for a factory SS take off barrel that can be fitted to keep it all Winchester

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

I'm thinking this may turn into a 7mm SAUM.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I'm thinking this may turn into a 7mm SAUM.

Shouldn't take much tweaking (if any) to pull that off.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (10gaugeman, 1936M71, 1minute, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 64 invisible), 2,374 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,685
Posts18,494,008
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.