Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
The only Zelle I’m familiar with is tied to a bank account. Your bank should be able to identify the receiving entity and thus the the account holder. And that’s where the police come in. Wrong?

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
GB1

S
SRPI89 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I’ve had a total of 4 contact me now. They all provide drivers licenses (stolen) and all photo shop the piece of paper with the date on it to a picture of the guns taken from other auction sites. The handwriting is always the same. The 3rd claimed to be in a state where I have family, and I offered to have them go get it. He wanted 1/2 down as a deposit. He did provide me a picture of himself with his badge, as he claimed to be with the sheriffs dept. I called the local sheriff to see if they wanted to investigate… no response. All of these scams that I’ve encountered use words like “buddy” and “friend” and “gentleman” excessively.

N
ned Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I only got scammed once here...of course it was by Safariman. Wonder if he's operating off shore now or from that really hot place.

Ride well, shoot straight, and speak the truth.
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I answered a WTB ad here on a NIB Remington 552. The buyer told me my rifle was underpriced. Also said he had relatives in my state that could pick it up. He never got back with me.....I guess he thought I was a scammer!

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I always play with them a little then when it get time to send funds I tell them to ship the thing and I will send them the check upon receiving it. They tell me it don't work that way and I tell them It does for me. Everything ends then. lol

NRA Benefactor Member
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’ve never had bad luck buying from someone here. I won’t buy from someone that doesn’t have a lot of posts.

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by ronwethington
I answered a WTB ad here on a NIB Remington 552. The buyer told me my rifle was underpriced. Also said he had relatives in my state that could pick it up. He never got back with me.....I guess he thought I was a scammer!

If you’re selling an underpriced NIB 552, let me know!

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
i sure do miss the good old days when we didnt have to worry about all this stupid [bleep] that is going on now

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
You can certainly buy it .

O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O

and it will only get worse as the economy sinks deeper and deeper into the abyss

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by hanco
I’ve never had bad luck buying from someone here. I won’t buy from someone that doesn’t have a lot of posts.

Just fyi, some long standing members (with high post counts) accounts have been hacked and used to scam folks in our classifieds here at 24HCF.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
If you place a WTB ad and a person responds and says I have a friend that has what you want and gives you his e-mil he is a scammer

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I’m not sure if this is already been suggested, but sometimes the fine folks on the form that live in the area of the seller can make a house call, friendly of course.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hanco

But now people are hacking well known 24HR members with lots of posts and listing things f/s.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by SRPI89
Another one has contacted me- obvious scam. The pictures are from an auction site, I asked if the clip grinds when inserted, he says “no”. asked if the scope was a leupold CM-4, he says “yes”. How else should I mess with him?

Is it a factory "over-twisted" barrel?

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by lubbockdave
I’m not sure if this is already been suggested, but sometimes the fine folks on the form that live in the area of the seller can make a house call, friendly of course.

All the way over in Nigeria? Thats one heck of a “house call”.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Received a text from this number yesterday on a WTB ad I had. He was pretty clever but was able to ask the right questions which led to no response. BEWARE of (702) 996-6144

I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.

NRA Life Member

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Just got scammed from a guy on a pa gun site. It sucks there’s so many pieces of trash out there that do this.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I would think that payment options would be a large red flag.

No matter how many posts they had.

MWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There are a lot of problems with getting local law enforcement involved. Yes, it's fraud and/or theft. But they look at your loss of ~$900 as a real time vampire type case. Most Investigators have a couple piles of cases to investigate on their desk: "Gotta Do', 'Hope To Do', and 'Maybe'. These cases usually go to the 'Maybe' pile.

Another problem is where did the crime occur? Prosecutors want to know that before they spend their time on it. (it's called jurisdiction) And where/who is the suspect and can that be proved? In most of these scammer cases we don't have a clue as to who it really is. Plus IF they issue some relatively low level warrant....are you going to show up for hearings and trials?

Maybe you can get a cop to go to a door. If he/she doesn't have a search or arrest warrant then they can have the door slammed in their face and told to bugger off. No LEO likes that.

Get the Feds involved? Good luck with that. They have very high thresholds before they are remotely interested. 'Postal Authorities' are stretched real thin. They mostly deal with internal investigations or at the bequest of another fed agency. You'll be lucky to get the Feds to return your phone call. They MIGHT get interested if it's a large scale multi-state operation involving a group that will get them some headlines.

What to do? Be very careful and make sure they have a good track record here on the 'Fire or other reputable site. Google all the photos. Do a Google search of the address and confirm that the names matches.

And find out whatever intel you can. Do contact local law enforcement...maybe they already have a hard on for the guy and want to rattle his cage.

Last edited by MWN; 02/07/22.

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand at the ready to do violence on their behalf.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (10Glocks, 2500HD, 22250rem, 257 roberts, 22kHornet, 1Longbow, 53 invisible), 2,542 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,596
Posts18,511,301
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.