Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
It's wonderful that we pay our presidents so much in salary that they become members of the super wealthy class by the time they leave office. So, what is their salary? Based on how they all come out super wealthy, I'm assuming it's on the order of 25 million a year?

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
If I won the PowerBall I'd buy the mansion next door and put a Guinea coop on the property line.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It really is the books - but there is a catch.

Big money donors get with publishers to give big advances with the assurance that unsold copies will be bought by "distributors" and "wholesalers" in the event that sales don't cover the advance. Obama only got (that we know of, hint, hint) a $40,000 advance for Dreams of My Fathers, but the royalties roll in like it was Mein Kampf.

He and his Sasquatch partner their will need to sell something like 10 million copies for the publisher to break even. 5% of that is = to a Best Seller. Good luck, Bro.

What the Obamasā€™ $65 million book advance actually means
By Constance Gradyconstancegrady Mar 2, 2017, 1:10pm EST

Barack and Michelle Obama each just sold a book in a joint deal that appears to be bigger than any previous presidential book deal in history. Reportedly, they are making $65 million, which is an unprecedented amount of money for a presidential memoir.

Itā€™s a move that signals the publishing industryā€™s faith in the enduring value of a book from the Obamas ā€” and the belief that if Barack Obamaā€™s memoir is good enough, it might become a genuine American classic.

The Obamas are reportedly earning more than $65 million in this deal. Thatā€™s way more than the Clintons got.
Penguin Random House, which bought the two books, wonā€™t discuss the numbers, but the Financial Times reports that the bidding for world rights surpassed $65 million. That number well exceeds the industryā€™s already-lofty expectations about the Obamasā€™ literary earning power: This January, literary agents and publishers predicted to Forbes that Barack Obamaā€™s memoirs might go for as much as $20 million, and a combined Barack/Michelle book deal might net as much as $45 million.

For comparison, trade publication Publishers Lunch reports that Bill Clinton secured a $15 million advance for his 2004 memoir My Life (a record-breaking advance at the time, and roughly $21 million in 2017 dollars), while Hillary Clinton got an advance of $11.5 million for her most recent memoir, 2014ā€™s Hard Choices. That adds up to $36.5 million, just over half of the Obamasā€™ advance ā€” or $42.5 million when adjusted for inflation, so about two-thirds of the Obamasā€™ advance.

For Penguin Random House, which published My Life, and Simon & Schuster, which published Hard Choices, those high advances paid off. The Clintons both rapidly earned out (which Iā€™ll explain below). But thatā€™s not always the case.

Book advances are investments. They donā€™t always offer a good return for the publisher
When publishers buy a book from an author, they arenā€™t offering them strings-free money. Theyā€™re predicting how much money the book might accrue in royalties, and theyā€™re offering the author an advance payment of those royalties in a single lump sum. For the book to ā€œearn out,ā€ as the Clintonsā€™ books did, it has to sell so many copies that its royalties surpass the amount of the advance. Itā€™s only after the book has earned out that the author starts to receive royalties on top of their advance.

Every publisher uses its own formula to calculate the magic number at which point a book will earn out. And the numbers depend on proprietary information, so I canā€™t tell you what Penguin Random Houseā€™s acquisition formulas look like. But hereā€™s a very rough, extremely simplified idea of how a publisher calculates how much to pay an author and still make money.

Imagine youā€™re an acquiring editor who wants to publish a new book. Based on the sales history of other, similar books, you feel confident that you can sell 10,000 copies of the new book. You figure you can set the price at $20, and youā€™re offering the author royalties of 10 percent of the bookā€™s list price, so the author will receive $2 for every book sold.

That means itā€™s safe for you to offer the author an advance of $20,000 when you acquire the book. The author receives that money upfront, and nothing else until the book has sold more than 10,000 copies, at which point the author has ā€œearned out.ā€ The remaining $18 for every book sold are split between the publisher and the distributors to cover their own costs and contribute to their profit margin.

For the Obamas to earn out their $65 million advance, they will most likely need to sell at least several million copies all together. And in an industry where selling 100,000 copies of a title is enough to make it a respectable bestseller, thatā€™s not chump change. For comparisonā€™s sake, the third-best-selling book of 2014 sold 573,000 copies.

Theoretically, the advance doesnā€™t change how much money the author gets, it just changes when they get it. But in practice, itā€™s not uncommon for books to fail to earn out. Sometimes, publishers overestimate how a book will sell, or they decide that an authorā€™s prestige value is so high that itā€™s worth keeping them around with a super high advance regardless of the potential earnings involved.

(Literary agents sometimes try to encourage that way of thinking. Andrew Wylie, an agent so ruthless heā€™s known as ā€œThe Jackal,ā€ is credited with the possibly apocryphal comment, ā€œIf my clientā€™s book earns out, I havenā€™t done my job.ā€)

A really good Obama book has the potential to become a genuine classic
So we donā€™t know for sure that Penguin Random House really thinks the Obamas will earn out a $65 million advance ā€” but itā€™s also a safe bet that the publisher is unlikely to have spent quite so much money if it didnā€™t expect to make at least a lot of it back. That suggests Penguin Random House believes the Obamasā€™ books will sell really well, and keep on selling for a long time.

And a book that sells for a while is almost always more profitable than a book that blazes brightly for a year before disappearing. A book that sells 100,000 copies a year for one year and then fades into obscurity makes a little money, but a book that sells 80,000 copies a year for 50 years makes a lot of money.

Thereā€™s good reason to think the Obamas might sell for a good long while. Michelle Obama is less of a known quantity as an author than Barack Obama. (Her only title thus far, American Grown, is a coffee table book that didnā€™t have the opportunity to pull off any literary pyrotechnics.) But she remains extremely popular and could easily sell a respectable number of books on her own. And before Barack Obama became president, his books Dreams from My Father and The Audacity of Hope cemented his place as not just a politician who sells books on the side, but as an author of genuine literary merit.

Itā€™s not just that Barack Obamaā€™s books sold well ā€” although they did, with Dreams from My Father easily out-earning its $40,000 advance ā€” but that they were widely considered to be well-written. New York Times book critic Michiko Kakutani deemed him ā€œthat rare politician who can actually write,ā€ with ā€œan elastic, personable voice that is capable of accommodating everything from dense discussions of foreign policy to streetwise reminiscences, incisive comments on constitutional law to New-Agey personal asides.ā€

That means a book by Barack Obama isnā€™t only a presidential memoir like Bill Clintonā€™s. It isnā€™t only a presidential memoir by an extremely popular ex-president during a time when nostalgia for his administration is increasing. It isnā€™t even only a presidential memoir by our first black president. Itā€™s a presidential memoir that actually stands a chance of being a good book, with both historical and literary merit. And those are the kinds of books that become classics.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Interesting that the property was bought in 2015 by Obama friend AND Obama Foundation Chairman. Hmmm Iā€™m sure thereā€™s no gray money being shuffled around there. Sounds like page from the Clintons and Clinton Foundation.

Iā€™m guessing all that money was funneled Iā€™m by Soros and his minions.

Some crooked ass BS going on there for sure.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~MolɔĢ€Ėn LabĆ© SkĆ½la~
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by Muffin
I guess HE doesn't believe in all that global warming, sea levels rising CRAP......

Yeah, funny how the scumbag keeps buying property on the ocean.

Laughing.

Either he ain't real bright or he ain't real honest.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by auk1124
If I won the PowerBall I'd buy the mansion next door and put a Guinea coop on the property line.

Peacocks and Donkeys too!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
From the scowl on Obummer's face it looks like it was Mooshelle's turn to be on top last night !

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Uh oh....someone didn't get the memo. That is going to be underwater in 10 years.....lol

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Obama starts off in the WH with a 700K house in Chicago and roughly 1 million .

Clinton starts out DC with a net worth of 25k .

Anyone see a pattern?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by gunswizard
From the scowl on Obummer's face it looks like it was Mooshelle's turn to be on top last night !

More like Ron Rice was out of town.

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Uh oh....someone didn't get the memo. That is going to be underwater in 10 years.....lol

well with Hawaii property, say he keeps it 10 years... its value will have doubled or tripled for a variety of reasons...east end of Oahu was certainly my favorite part of the island.... my folks lived there for 28 years after retiring from the Air Force...before moving back to the mainland.

Considering it will be highly insured, it being under water in 10 years won't hurt anything financially...

For liberals like them, they are essentially Royalty in a way....no different than Queen Elizabeth et al. bottomless money for their natural lives...
whether they earn it, or given to them by admiring super rich leftists...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

ā€œOwning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.ā€ ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I wonder who's paying. He can't afford it on ex-president pay.

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
MolɔĢ€Ėn LabĆ© SkĆ½la
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tdbob
I wonder who's paying. He can't afford it on ex-president pay.

The Mega-Millionaire Marxists and Billionaire Bolsheviks always take care of their own.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by TheLastLemming76
Interesting that the property was bought in 2015 by Obama friend AND Obama Foundation Chairman. Hmmm Iā€™m sure thereā€™s no gray money being shuffled around there. Sounds like page from the Clintons and Clinton Foundation.

Iā€™m guessing all that money was funneled Iā€™m by Soros and his minions.

Some crooked ass BS going on there for sure.

Money laundering at its finest.

"I was born in the log cabin I helped my grandfather build"
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
"The only way to get rich in politics is to be a crook." Harry Truman

"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined.ā€

Patrick Henry
N
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by auk1124

And some peacocks.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
After four years in Washington,Ā Ivanka TrumpĀ andĀ Jared KushnerĀ could be heading south to the Sunshine State, with the couple reportedly buying a $30 million property in an area dubbed "Billionaire's Bunker."

The secluded spot sits on 1.8 acres and comes with 200 feet of waterfront and "breathtaking sunset views."
The listing boasts that the Miami island is "one of the most exclusive and private neighborhoods in the world with its private country club and golf course, police force, and 24/7 armed boat patrol."

https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-kn...-jared-kushner-buying-30m-lot-in-florida

Padded VA Hospital Rooms for $1000 Alex

Originally Posted by renegade50
My ignoree,s will never be Rock Stars on 24 hr campfire.....Like me!!!!

What are psychotic puppet hunters?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Are the watchdogs still there? Maybe they need a dark meat chew toy!

Zeus!! Apollo!!! Attack!!!

[Linked Image from writeups.org]

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
He just "bought" a 12 million DOLLAR estate in Martha's Vineyard, MA.......corruption at the highest level???

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Another dirtbag that has sold his soul, he can always turn things around but doubt he will?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 1badf350, 204guy, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 2,301 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,000
Posts18,500,029
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.