-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Won’t use any brush on a rimfire barrel.

Haven’t used a brush on my cf barrels in years.

I do own them. Just haven’t seen a need to deploy them.

Ymmv

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by keith
If you are NOT using bronze bristle brushes, carbon is building up in your barrel.

Clean patches do NOT equal a clean barrel!

Carbon will get so hard that it will not even show grey on a patch, must less black.

Teslong bore scope is the best money you can spend on your reloading/shooting career. Teslong will teach you to become an expert with your own cleaning technique/chemical choices.

agree 100%, I don't use a bronze brush very often but depending on chambering it absolutely needs done from time to time

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr

I always use a bore guide too.

I have a bore guide for every rifle that I own, money well spent

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Generations of shooters used bronze brushes, never heard of one damaging a bore.

Yeah, but what if you used a bronze brush as well as a FRAM filter?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Generations of shooters used bronze brushes, never heard of one damaging a bore.

Been doing it for 50+ years with Hoppe's, always clean them after shooting,never had an issue.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by wink_man
I would hope Mule Deer will chime in on this subject, especially in relation to a rifle that has been properly cleaned down to bare steel and then Dyna Bore coated.

I believe he has stated in the past that while the company used to say no phosphor bronze bore brushes they then said it was ok, their dyna bore coating could withstand it???
Of course they have no customer service/support anymore so you can't find out from them.

And as stated above bore scope is the way to go in accurately judging how clean your barrel is.

I waited until this thread went down several apparently inevitable rat-holes to comment:

Haven't used bore brushes of any kind very often for years now. The biggest use I get out of them is wrapping one with a cotton patch to measure rifling twist.

Between excellent oil-based bore solvents such as Wipe-Out and Montana X-Treme, have never seen much need to brush bores. This includes not just to remove copper fouling but powder fouling--what little there is from today's cleaner-burning powders.

Also, my experience is that Dan Lilja's opinion that attempting to remove ALL powder-fouling is detrimental to accuracy. Dan came to this conclusion after lots of testing. And in my nearly 20 years with a Gradient Hawkeye bore-scope, he's exactly right.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

I waited until this thread went down several apparently inevitable rat-holes to comment:

Haven't used bore brushes of any kind very often for years now. The biggest use I get out of them is wrapping one with a cotton patch to measure rifling twist.

Between excellent oil-based bore solvents such as Wipe-Out and Montana X-Treme, have never seen much need to brush bores. This includes not just to remove copper fouling but powder fouling--what little there is from today's cleaner-burning powders.

Also, my experience is that Dan Lilja's opinion that attempting to remove ALL powder-fouling is detrimental to accuracy. Dan came to this conclusion after lots of testing. And in my nearly 20 years with a Gradient Hawkeye bore-scope, he's exactly right.

John,
A bit off subject, but when using JB Compound I still wrap the patch around a bronze brush, because it appeared a synthetic brush didn't scrub the copper out as well, or at least didn't as quickly. What kind of brush do you use with JB Compound?

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Either bronze or synthetic, depending on what I have on hand. (Still have some bronze brushes). The biggie I've found is using enough of whatever patches I have on hand to require some effort to push 'em through the bore.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I would hope Mule Deer will chime in on this subject, especially in relation to a rifle that has been properly cleaned down to bare steel and then Dyna Bore coated.

I believe he has stated in the past that while the company used to say no phosphor bronze bore brushes they then said it was ok, their dyna bore coating could withstand it???
Of course they have no customer service/support anymore so you can't find out from them.

And as stated above bore scope is the way to go in accurately judging how clean your barrel is.

As I mentioned earlier on this thread, the Teslong bore-scope has shown me how well modern solvents work. I’ve got lots of clean bores without brushes. The last time I used a brush was with a patch of JB Compound to clean up a Swedish Mauser.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, a bore-scope is invaluable for determining how well various bore-cleaning techniques work--along with some test-shooting.

Which is how I discovered how much BS there was in older advice on cleaning--though a lot of it was due to older powders and/or barrels. With some newer, cleaner-burning powders that include decoppering agents I have yet to clean the bore in many newer rifles with great factory barrels, yet they're still shooting very small groups after hundreds of rounds.

John Steinbeck
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Hoppes #9 to remove powder fouling and expose any copper fouling if present. Butches bore shine with a bronze brush for a quick clean, but if things are bad i grab sweets 7.62 and let it soak. With sweets i only use patches. A bronze brush does speed things along for a quicker clean.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Good to know there are still Campfire members who haven't tried different cleaning techniques in years....

John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If it worked for my dad and his dad I don't see any reason to change. Agree many barrels have been worn out from too frequent cleaning. I use G.I. twill patches and Hoppe's #9 and butch's Bore Shine to clean my handguns and rifles.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

A bronze brush won't hurt DBC, but it's not necessary in DBC'd barrels, either.

These days, about the only use I have for brushes of any sort is to prep a fouled barrel for DBC.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Out of habit, a nylon brush with Hoppes for powder fouling only, or patches and Eliminator for copper fouling. Don't have a borescope - so if the bore is not completely clean, it doesn't seem to make a difference.

My milsurps typically only ever need Hoppes, and the patches never come out completely clean - doesn't seem to bother them.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I use nylon for the necks of brass when reloading but bronze for the bore.

Even when doing the copper removing thing.

Has not done any harm that i can tell so far and it has been since 1970's.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Thanks John. I still keep some bronze brushes around just for JB Compound.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
gunswizard,

Good for you.

My point is that if some newer products and techniques work at least as well (and often better) with less work, why keep doing it the same old way? I can understand, somewhat, that doing it the same way your father and grandfather did it provides you some historical comfort. But please don't claim your traditional techniques work as well as newer products.

Well, one exception would be Hoppe's #9. The formula was changed around a decade ago, to an oil-based, faster copper remover that's far more effective than the original formula so many of us grew up with. But it still smells pretty much the same, one reason I still sometimes use it. But newer powders have far more effect on bore-fouling.

You and Gaschekt probably wouldn't know about that either.

John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Nope. Still burning military surplus IMR 4895 and a keg of IMR 4320. I have newer powders mind you but I usually burn my old stock first. Sometimes I clean with solvant and patches and sometimes the bronze brush comes out. I have a 280 that's horrible for copper fouling. The 35's only need a little maintenance and light oil to protect the bore. 30's are easy to clean as well.

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Old habits sure die hard.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (1badf350, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 10gaugeman, 50 invisible), 2,602 guests, and 1,346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,291
Posts18,525,732
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.