Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
8mmRem Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Most of my Alaska hunting was done with an 8mm Remington Mag on a rebarreled Browning A Bolt. Since I am older not going to be climbing mountains any more I sold it and made a switch to a Savage 99, in .358 Winchester. Won’t have it till next week if all goes well.

Attached Images
HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Now, you’ll just have to change your name from 8mmRem to..

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Ran a 358 savage 99 in Alaskan conditions for a few years, but gave up on em after they couldnt handle Alaskan river conditions, requiring frequent disassembly of too many parts.

The rotary mag had to be kept squeaky clean and the spring re-indexed as it was too weak for heavy 358 bullets.

Had a jam on the early season moose in velvet. Its how i discovered the weak rotary spring.

It was hard on brass, and loads could not approach bolt action level.

A smidgen of wind-blown river silt, and the roatary mag would have to be cleaned again. It is a real pain to do in the field.

If chamber be the slightest dirty, the cheesy/puny extractor would slip right off the case.

Back to mauser style for me......

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 8mmRem
Most of my Alaska hunting was done with an 8mm Remington Mag on a rebarreled Browning A Bolt. Since I am older not going to be climbing mountains any more I sold it and made a switch to a Savage 99, in .358 Winchester. Won’t have it till next week if all goes well.

That’s a sharp rifle!

Mainer, you’re just a damn beast! Always tearing stuff up grin

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
8mm, That’s a beautiful 99 man! What bullets will you be running?

IC B2

8mmRem Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I am thinking of 225 grain Swift if I can find them. Will probably try nosier accubond, barnes. With the technology of bullets today unless I was actually hunting big bear I don’t see a need for a heavier bullet. Mostly it will be Moose, Caribou.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice rifle, I hunted with a Savage 99F and a 99A in 358 Win for a few years.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Ran a 358 savage 99 in Alaskan conditions for a few years, but gave up on em after they couldnt handle Alaskan river conditions, requiring frequent disassembly of too many parts.

The rotary mag had to be kept squeaky clean and the spring re-indexed as it was too weak for heavy 358 bullets.

Had a jam on the early season moose in velvet. Its how i discovered the weak rotary spring.

It was hard on brass, and loads could not approach bolt action level.

A smidgen of wind-blown river silt, and the roatary mag would have to be cleaned again. It is a real pain to do in the field.

If chamber be the slightest dirty, the cheesy/puny extractor would slip right off the case.

Back to mauser style for me......

There's people that own guns and people that use guns. You learn the most from the people that actually use guns. This post proves that

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I had a 99A in .358 with a straight grip, and thought of taking it to SE AK on a spring black bear hunt. It kept eating scopes on me, so I took my stainless Encore. As much as I tried to like that rifle it just wasn't for me. It was a cool rifle, but I would never appreciate it as much as the guy who bought it off of me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am thinking of 225 grain Swift if I can find them. Will probably try nosier accubond, barnes. With the technology of bullets today unless I was actually hunting big bear I don’t see a need for a heavier bullet. Mostly it will be Moose, Caribou.

I can't speak to the Swift but predict the Accubond will be too long and pointy to load to the required OAL without the ogive being below the case mouth. I haven't seen 225 Partitions in forever but would love to find and try some in mine.
May I suggest the Barnes 200 TTSX? Mule Deer's load (slightly reduced to 51 grains) of TAC worked out great in mine. I used a CCI 250. An OAL of 2.82" cycled perfectly and put the ogive .050" off the lands. Averaged about 1.5 MOA and is a solid 400 yard load for big critters. Note the attached dope card is for 7300' MSL, might not be right for your planned hunt area.

Nice looking rifle that should work great for you.

Cheers,
Rex

Attached Images
IC B3

T
ths Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Congratulations on a fine rifle. That should do for just about any hunting needs in Alaska.

I don't doubt Mainer's experiences, but I have to think they are a one-off. Any make can have a lemon. I have used several different 99's for hunting in Alaska in 300 Savage and 30-30. They work exceptionally, tho they can take a little figuring out to make them reliably accurate. I have also had ones that due to modification were real turds. Savage made these rifles to work the way they were supposed to, but any home gunsmithing can cause them to be problematic. AR-15 Lego rifles they are not.

I have known more than one old-timer in bush Alaska who used the Savage 99 as their only rifle. These men lived by the rifle and swore by the 99.

Many more early explorers and sourdoughs revered the 99. Roy Chapman Andrews (the real Indiana Jones) was an admirer of the 99 in both 300 and 250-3000 after his use of them in the Gobi. The Blue Parka Man was reported to always have a 30-30 Savage, although he had to replace his rifle more than once due to losing it to the Law. The Mad Trapper of Rat River used a 99 to kill several Mounties despite being outnumbered and outgunned during the long winter chase for his capture.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
They do have a good reputation, but Mainer is also correct that interior river silt is no joke.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I have half a box of 225 Swift A-frames left over from when I had a .350 Rem Mag. Send me a PM if you are interested in them.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 63 invisible), 2,320 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,394
Posts18,488,802
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.