-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That's some beautiful Country guys. I've only hunted 2 states so far. Tennessee and Kentucky but, would love to hunt Osceolas in South Florida, and Texas Rios.

Why do I have to press 1, for English?
GB1

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by roverboy
That's some beautiful Country guys. I've only hunted 2 states so far. Tennessee and Kentucky but, would love to hunt Osceolas in South Florida, and Texas Rios.

Why not set those as goals ??

Texas is tough in that there's so little public land. Only state I ever actually paid an outfitter for trespass rights. But there's a lot of fantastic hunting to be had at reasonable price in Texas. Mostly 2 bird hunts. And Rios are FUN !!!!

Wollen nicht krank dein feind. Planen es.
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
I'm sure I'm the only person that entered. So I'm a shoe in. 5 tags. I may get them all.

Sorry to tell ya but they let me in too. Maybe they’ll let us 2 have all 5 then. I’m in Wythe county, hard to find a prettier place to get your head kicked in by a public gobbler.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Yoder409

Texas is tough in that there's so little public land. Only state I ever actually paid an outfitter for trespass rights. But there's a lot of fantastic hunting to be had at reasonable price in Texas. Mostly 2 bird hunts. And Rios are FUN !!!!

What kind of deal does Texas have as far as a "points system". Do you have to jump through any hoops?

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

What kind of deal does Texas have as far as a "points system". Do you have to jump through any hoops?

I haven't been there in about 5 years. But I got my license via a phone call and it came in the mail. No points. No hoops.

IC B2

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Nothing like the stars of a remote Texas night sky....

Turkey hunting in Texas will make you think you're a super turkey hunter that's why some get hooked on paying to go there and shoot turkeys.

I hunted Texas once for free hunted one day killed one turkey....I don't think he knew what I meant when I said "I'm heading back to Tennessee I have turkeys to hunt"....his reply was you dont need to leave you can kill all you want....I said "I' killed one that's enough".

Rios respond to anything that remotely sounds like a turkey and hunting over a feeder is legal and feeders abound.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Gotta add............. If I took one pic in all the times I've hunted Texas that sums up the entire experience.............it's THIS one:

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Hunting TX is fun for sure. The places I hunted had no feeders but as yoder was pointing out (no pun intended) everything there is trying to stick, sting, or bite you. Sand spurs are the worse in my book. You could buy your tag over the counter (I have not been in about 4 maybe 5 years so that may have changed). Up in the pan handle area they had a 4 bird limit.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Where abouts did you hunt....I'm going to have to call bull chit on the no feeders claim.

If you don't have feeders in Texas you don't have game in most places because there is literally nothing for the game to eat.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
So game only exists in Texas bacause feeders. Got it.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Pay attention LFC, I said in the pan handle area

If you recall you call BS on the amount of TSS I have as well.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by 10Glocks
So game only exists in Texas bacause feeders. Got it.

I know you are feeling like you had a catch me moment....

If you expect to hold it there yes....

The biologists for Kansas told me that Rios are not like Eastern turkeys one reason being they will travel several hundred miles in winter looking for food thats when you see the giant winter flocks.....in comparison an Eastern wild turkey flock might travel a 4 to 6 mile loop in the winter.

A turkey is going to travel and find food....

Go to Texas and see if you can scratch out a living eating sand spurs and catus.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LFC

If you expect to hold it there yes....

The biologists for Kansas told me that Rios are not like Eastern turkeys one reason being they will travel several hundred miles in winter looking for food thats when you see the giant winter flocks.....in comparison an Eastern wild turkey flock might travel a 4 to 6 mile loop in the winter.

Weird.

Although RGWTs do not migrate, they have two distinct roosting sites: summer roosts and winter roosts. They prefer to roost in tall hardwood trees that have broad canopies with many horizontal limbs. Species such as live oak, hackberry, pecan, elm, and cottonwood exhibit these traits. In areas that lack trees, artificial roosts can provide similar benefits. RGWTs prefer to roost over an open understory, which is why they can often be seen roosting over water. Roosting areas consist of 10-15 acres with a 50-70% canopy cover. An important part of the roosting area is the area that surrounds it; turkeys need open spaces within 100 yards of roost trees to serve as launching and landing pads for ascending and descending from the roosts. In general, these highly mobile birds need large amounts of usable space, as they annually travel between 6 and 26 miles.

That's a little less than "several hundred miles,." If they traveled that far, they would be considered migratory and you'd have to hunt them according to a different set of rules.

https://wildlife.tamu.edu/wildlifemanagement/turkeys/

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
That's what the biologist for the state of Kansas told me.....you calling me a liar now ?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Am I calling you a liar? Stop being so dramatic. If you were told that (and there's no reason to believe you weren't) then it flies in the face of information coming out of Texas A&M.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Texas A&M....I'm impressed.

Maybe the biOlogist didn't know jAck chit either.....he had no idea how all the Osage trees got there until I told him.

Point being it's not uncommon for Rios to have travel long distances to find food in the winter....he said up to a couple hundred miles.

I guess I should have transcribed the conversation we had about why Kansas had such large winter flocks with low fall bag limits in the Rio part of the state.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm glad you were there so that a "state biologist" could learn from you about Osage trees.

L
LFC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
He honestly had no idea where they came from.....I never did figure out where all the hemp came from they call it ditch weed.

At times I wonder if you're not grazing on ditch weed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I haven't been there in about 5 years. But I got my license via a phone call and it came in the mail. No points. No hoops.

Thanks

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My grandfather scratched out a living in the Texas panhandle by raising wheat. They raised other crops like potatoes and watermelon for home consumption. There is desert in Texas, but the desert isn't the whole State. As anyone knows who has actually spent any time there.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (007FJ, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 12 invisible), 1,488 guests, and 858 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,308
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.