P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by ndh19
Wisconsin 2021, 38,147 deer killed by bow, 57,071 killed by crossbow

looks like the youth , regular hunters, old retired people and handi-cap are able to get out in the nice weather and shoot a deer with a x-bow. good for them !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Montana does allow people that are "certified & permanently disabled" to apply for a permit to modify archery equipment. They then can use archery tackle that supports the bow, and draws, holds, and releases the string to accommodate the individual disability.
For more information Contact the Montana Bowhunters at https://mtba.org

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Thunder_child
Montana does allow people that are "certified & permanently disabled" to apply for a permit to modify archery equipment. They then can use archery tackle that supports the bow, and draws, holds, and releases the string to accommodate the individual disability.
For more information Contact the Montana Bowhunters at https://mtba.org

i have that certified permit and that equipment its a joke, difficult to use for a handi cap person and carry, its ridiculous Montana should be ashamed of this thought for a Handi-cap person to use. what it appears to me is the Montana Bowhunters association rules and wants is to only allow vertical bows for their own selfish ways and feel like superior hunters in the wild mountains of Montana with a bow so they think they are better than the rest of us. sad and shameful . i hope the feds move in on this organization and change the rule / law for the x-bow to be allowed during all of the archery season in Montana for the Handi-cap at least on all Federal land or take funds away from Montana .

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by pete53
i have been told 46 states allow x-bows during archery season for Handi-cap hunters i feel that is wonderful ,some of us are now handi - cap because of age or health maybe both too. not sure but i think there are some Federal provision to help handi-cap hunters . i also have been following the law suit in Montana about not allowing x-bows during archery season for true handi-cap hunters . Montana Bowhunter Association is totally against handi - cap bowhunters in archery season this sure seems selfish and shameful . i do hope the Federal government steps in and changes this rule / law , there is a lot of Federal land in Montana that could have a different rule / law on this ? maybe the Feds could also take some funds away from Montana tell they change this x-bow rule / law ? SHAME ON MONTANA !

I’m fine with truly handicapped people using a crossbow in archery season. But the last thing we need is the feds getting involved in states hunting regs. The feds have screwed up enough of our country.

NRA Patron
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a handicap-cap document from SDG&P. I think I could do cross bow. I hunt in Wyoming a bit and if I applied I could get the handicap-cap designation, So far I rely on my offspring to help after shooting something.
I agree that the Federal government is so [bleep] up that they destroy most everything they get their hands on.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by dale06
i have been told 46 states allow x-bows during archery season for Handi-cap hunters i feel that is wonderful ,some of us are now handi - cap because of age or health maybe both too. not sure but i think there are some Federal provision to help handi-cap hunters . i also have been following the law suit in Montana about not allowing x-bows during archery season for true handi-cap hunters . Montana Bowhunter Association is totally against handi - cap bowhunters in archery season this sure seems selfish and shameful . i do hope the Federal government steps in and changes this rule / law , there is a lot of Federal land in Montana that could have a different rule / law on this ? maybe the Feds could also take some funds away from Montana tell they change this x-bow rule / law ? SHAME ON MONTANA !

I’m fine with truly handicapped people using a crossbow in archery season. But the last thing we need is the feds getting involved in states hunting regs. The feds have screwed up enough of our country.

the Feds are involved now look how a Federal judge from California made the ruling on timber wolves in Minnesota so Montana Bowhunter Association needs to be rattled by the Feds.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
All NH Archery hunters can use the crossbow in " M " Zone during archery season from Sept 15th to Dec 15th. Anybody that is 68 or older can use the crossbow without a handicap permit for the rest of the state. This is a new law for 68 and older. You do have to have the archery license.

Ken

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by firearms44
All NH Archery hunters can use the crossbow in " M " Zone during archery season from Sept 15th to Dec 15th. Anybody that is 68 or older can use the crossbow without a handicap permit for the rest of the state. This is a new law for 68 and older. You do have to have the archery license.

Ken

that is a very good common sense law good for your N.H. state ,Minnesota`s law is handi-cap with doctor permit or 60 years of age to use a x-bow during all of archery season ,another common sense law..

Last edited by pete53; 03/05/22.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Some bow hunters are whiny and jealous, hunt with whatever makes you happy. Where I'm from a dead deer is a dead deer.

Life is good live it while you can.
IC B3

P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Some bow hunters are whiny and jealous, hunt with whatever makes you happy. Where I'm from a dead deer is a dead deer.

so true you only have one tag per person for deer and elk in Montana

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Idaho allows them for handicapped hunters during archery seasons. You just need a permit from the F&G. They're legal for anyone during the general season.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
P
pete53 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Idaho allows them for handicapped hunters during archery seasons. You just need a permit from the F&G. They're legal for anyone during the general season.

another great law for the handi-cap ,here is my problem i have been hunting Montana for 20 some years and now at 68 years of , 4 back surgeries ,neck surgery ,knee surgery both shoulders have had surgery and are in bad shape one needs replacement doc says ,heart surgery all thru the years many the the last 10 years . i was a climbing REA lineman for 35 years , my body is in bad shape but i could use a x-bow kinda . but i have some great hunting areas in Montana and good friends to stay and hunt with. i am to old to start over. besides my son has shot some huge bulls with his bow myself mine were not as big but i call well for him. if i was younger i would have started in Idaho much more friendly for non-resident bowhunters that`s for sure. thanks for posting ,Pete53

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The reason most states have approved crossbows is you still only have one shot. It takes time to reload a crossbow. Recurves and compound bows may allow you to get off another shot.

Someone did some studies. The average hunter is only accurate for about 30 yards on recurves and compounds. Crossbows can give you 20 extra yards, depending on the power of the bow, so 50 yard maximum for average hunter. Crossbows have to be reloaded by using your foot and pulling with both hands, or use a crank. Both take more time. Anyway, the kill ratio is about 10% for all bow hunters, about 11-12% for black powder guns, and about 20% for rifle hunters, as they have more range of accuracy. Don't understand Montana about this. A really good archer could probably kill out to 100 yards.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
The bottom reason for xbows is money. the more licenses sold is more money for the dnr. Always plenty of deer

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
The reason most states have approved crossbows is you still only have one shot. It takes time to reload a crossbow. Recurves and compound bows may allow you to get off another shot.

Someone did some studies. The average hunter is only accurate for about 30 yards on recurves and compounds. Crossbows can give you 20 extra yards, depending on the power of the bow, so 50 yard maximum for average hunter. Crossbows have to be reloaded by using your foot and pulling with both hands, or use a crank. Both take more time. Anyway, the kill ratio is about 10% for all bow hunters, about 11-12% for black powder guns, and about 20% for rifle hunters, as they have more range of accuracy. Don't understand Montana about this. A really good archer could probably kill out to 100 yards.

Sounds about right. I can do 50, but very few spots on my public patch offer shots that long. The doe I took last season was at 40. If I was able to cock it again in my hang-on, I could’ve doubled, but that ain’t happening! Maybe I should buy that 2-shot Excalibur, -NOT! Hard enough to haul one of those woods rats a mile to the car, let alone two.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
legal in oklahoma where i hunt

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude

Sounds about right. I can do 50, but very few spots on my public patch offer shots that long. The doe I took last season was at 40. If I was able to cock it again in my hang-on, I could’ve doubled, but that ain’t happening! Maybe I should buy that 2-shot Excalibur, -NOT! Hard enough to haul one of those woods rats a mile to the car, let alone two.
Can you have 2 x-bows in a stand, both locked and loaded?

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can, as far as I can tell, but one is heavy enough, thank you very much. Also possibly the most awkward thing I’ve ever toted around. Finally smartened up and started packing the quiver on my pack.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

another great law for the handi-cap ,here is my problem i have been hunting Montana for 20 some years and now at 68 years of , 4 back surgeries ,neck surgery ,knee surgery both shoulders have had surgery and are in bad shape one needs replacement doc says ,heart surgery all thru the years many the the last 10 years . i was a climbing REA lineman for 35 years , my body is in bad shape but i could use a x-bow kinda . but i have some great hunting areas in Montana and good friends to stay and hunt with. i am to old to start over. besides my son has shot some huge bulls with his bow myself mine were not as big but i call well for him. if i was younger i would have started in Idaho much more friendly for non-resident bowhunters that`s for sure. thanks for posting ,Pete53

You might consider just tagging along with your son and doing the calling for him.
We're all dealing with the realities of aging and the simple fact that the world isn't expected to cater to any of us – save that for the democrats.

If that doesn't suffice, find a state that's more open to your needs. You've beotched more about Montana in past threads than the entire collective of Montana resident members here.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

129 members (44mc, 3333vl, 7887mm08, 308ld, 35, 12 invisible), 1,536 guests, and 871 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,766
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.