Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Potsy
Been running 25.3 H-335 under a 55 Hornady SP.
Accurate enough. Hard on coyotes up close.

53 V-max’s and 26.3 TAC is my current favorite and it carries better down range, but the bullets are a bit more expensive.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
The reason I asked how much the fmj's are in my last post. I'd rather shoot/plink with a bullet that is much more accurate than a fmj... To each his own though. Some guys don't give a schidt about accuracy. I picked up another 300pcs of good brass the other day from 3 idiots at the range. Just shooting to shoot as fast as they could. They were shooting up good ammo too. Fiocchi with GFL brass.. If that is your guy's idea of "plinking", carry on..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have a bunch of 55 grain FMJ’s, and sized brass ready to go. What’s everyone using for a plinking load in their AR’s?

We use 55 gr Hornady sp's w/cannelure I bought in bulk from Midsouth (6.000 at a time. . I find them more accurate and more flexible than the FMJ's.

We use 25.6 gr REL-15 for a powder. Yes, I know some folks think it only works for heavier bullets in a .223/5.56..

It gets used in two Mini-14's, 8 AR-15's and my Hawkeye UL. I have and still use other powders but this works best

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by chesterwy
I have a bunch of 55 grain FMJ’s, and sized brass ready to go. What’s everyone using for a plinking load in their AR’s?

How much were the 55gr fmj's? I'd rather shoot/plink with something more accurate. Spend a little more money on a better bullet. That may just be me though...

They were repackaged hornady from grafs . Ten cents apiece.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

How much were the 55gr fmj's? I'd rather shoot/plink with something more accurate. Spend a little more money on a better bullet. That may just be me though...

That's a damn good deal. I bought some a while back for $15/100 (15 cents each). For a while you couldn't find them cheaper. I then sold them at a gunshow for more than that because they did not shoot well in my AR's. Plus they are not great in a sage rat or prarie dog town. What kind of accuracy are you getting with those repackaged Hornady FMJ's? I get the "plinking" mentality, but still want good accuracy. I plink with 69gr SMK's most of the time. But I'm going to work up a good load with the 53's I poste a pic of earlier. At near $20/box, that is not a bad price for plinking. A lot of guys plink with factory ammo, which is much more expensive and not even as accurate.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C

That's a damn good deal. I bought some a while back for $15/100 (15 cents each). For a while you couldn't find them cheaper. I then sold them at a gunshow for more than that because they did not shoot well in my AR's. Plus they are not great in a sage rat or prarie dog town. What kind of accuracy are you getting with those repackaged Hornady FMJ's? I get the "plinking" mentality, but still want good accuracy. I plink with 69gr SMK's most of the time. But I'm going to work up a good load with the 53's I poste a pic of earlier. At near $20/box, that is not a bad price for plinking. A lot of guys plink with factory ammo, which is much more expensive and not even as accurate.

They have been accurate enough for me to be able to hit my 6” steel plate offhand at 100 yards most times. Truthfully, I’ve not shot any groups with those bullets.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
23gr AA 2015 Hornady 55 fmj/sp, both of these really shoot good and are not fussy, 2015 is cheap, measures great and available and you don't need 27gr's
of cfe223blc2ww748aa2520vargetlvr41664320

I would have got him too but a Dad Blam snow flake hit me in da eye....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
if I could get into a barrel of Sierra flat base 60 HP bullets in .224 I'd buy as many seconds as I could afford. Those bullets work really good for just about anything around and they were not much more than FMJ junk bullets years ago anyway.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rost495
if I could get into a barrel of Sierra flat base 60 HP bullets in .224 I'd buy as many seconds as I could afford. Those bullets work really good for just about anything around and they were not much more than FMJ junk bullets years ago anyway.

That's good info Jeff. I also heard you like 40gr v-max bullets too. Good for hogs and small critters and also targets. Which is your "go to" plinking bullet for the AR? A lot of these guys are saying FMJ, but I could care less for the damn things.. I have buddies that use FMJ's on yotes with good results. They don't shoot a lot of targets or steel, but save the hides, so FMJ's work for them.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

They have been accurate enough for me to be able to hit my 6” steel plate offhand at 100 yards most times. Truthfully, I’ve not shot any groups with those bullets.

Fair enough. And that is not bad shooting either. Very reasonably priced and you can stay practiced up. Win win..

BSA MAGA
V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
🍒

IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Just built 4K of plinking ammo

All but 1k were

20.5gr imr-4198

Whatever brass

Cci-400

And 10cent 55gr. Btsp with cannelure

Hold sub 1" 10shot at 50. If I grab all the same headstampmore like low 1something at 100. That's across 5 rifles.

Got a pile of 75gr cannelure and 6lbs of crappy varget so I built 1k with 450's, varget and of 17 brass. At or near 1moa from bolt gun 10 shot. Haven't gassed that load up except to confirm it wasn't too hot.

I don't ever shoot from a bench and rarely off a bipod anymore with gassers. Everything is high speed and under time. Raw accuracy is hardly a Consideration but it doesn't hurt have sub 2moa for 'Form drills

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
55gr FMJBT with cannelure 23.5gr of Accurate 2460. It cycles reliably and is accurate in 3 of my ARs.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

91 members (260Remguy, 358wsm, 338Rules, 10gaugemag, 257wthbylover, 17 invisible), 2,192 guests, and 890 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,643
Posts18,533,679
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.