Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
You get natural gas from wells on the property. What a good deal.

GB4

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well done... from a not as talented cabin builder... smile

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Diesel
Deerhunter,

When you stand up an exterior studded wall it has a bottom plate and a top plate. A second top plate is added to lock in adjoining walls and strengthen the carrying capacity of what is usually where the trusses sit. By overlapping the joints of the first top plate you create rigidity.

In my case, after the second top plate was added, I then put the exposed beams in place resting them on that second top plate. On top of the beams and directly over the other top plates, I then did an additional two courses of plates creating the "beam sandwich". It is on top of that second layer of doubled plates that my trusses rest. The ceiling 1x12's are nailed to the top side of the beams inside the perimeter created by the second layer of double plates BEFORE the trusses are put in place.

The beams were set on 16" centers. They are 6" square beams that means there is a 10" space from the side of one beam to the one beside it. It is overkill to say the least, but it is the scale and appearance I was looking for.

It was a cheap solution to the beam application and had additional benefits. Easy to work on setting trusses as you are walking on a flat secure surface and extra strong side walls to carry trusses and handle snow loads. The beams cannot twist over time because the beams are locked in place. The only extra cost was for the second double course of top plates. Just as some people add an additional layer of block to the foundation wall to gain headroom in their basement, it was money well spent.

This was my own idea, but I would bet it has been used elsewhere.
Outstanding explanation. Thank you for taking the time to “dumb it down”.

Buy once, cry once.
W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Excellent build. Looked at a camp on Manitoulin Island that had gas wells on it. Primary reason I didn’t pull the trigger on it was there are no moose on the island.

Diesel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This design was my own. I will explain it this way.

It is just like most "stick" builds except for the layer of beams added and some supporting posts strategically placed. The walls are just cladding of materials I made myself instead of buying "paneling". The exterior cladding is again my own method, but is simply a reverse board and batten application. It is those handmade materials that give it the look and feel of something much more.

I am not a finish carpenter. I love the rugged and rustic look and feel. I am self-taught from observation and thought. This type of build is not something a lot of women would like or a lot of men for that matter. But I love it and could not be happier with the result.

The work comes in making the materials and gathering the materials. There are a few unusual parts that were made, like the tails of the trusses for instance, but it is straight forward for the most part. Being creative with what materials you use is the fun and interesting part along with having a theme you stick to, so it doesn't look like a bunch of afterthoughts strung together. It should have flow.

You don't need special tools. All the tools I used would fit in the short bed of my truck. It just takes time and a dogged desire to see it through and a lot of planning.

I hope that some young guys come across this thread and find some inspiration to build their own cabin in the woods.

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
That Sir, is a mansion.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Diesel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
In writing this thread I came to realize just how much work went into this land and build. Things I learned out of necessity to accomplish the tasks. Fun stuff too like food plotting and planting fruit trees. Off the grid is not an easy way to go, but it forces you to be innovative and diligent.

The thread on "Skills" that points out guys that make it work, like Sam or Big Jim, or Northern Dave just to name a few are the people from which you can learn a trick or two. It is to all these independent types that makes the fire special.

I just wanted to give up a little of what I have learned to add to the fire.

Even though I have never met any of you guys after near twenty years and listening to all that goes on here, I feel I have a sense of who you are. Now you know a little about me.

Thanks for tolerating me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tag

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The outside exposed walls are “reverse” board and batten? Has there been any problems with moisture intrusion with wind driven rain? Also, how bad have the wood bees wreaked havoc?

Buy once, cry once.
Diesel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Nope all around. No bees, It may be the Sikkens brand treatment. The underneath board is 6 inches wide and overlapped by the 12 inch board on top so a 2 " lap on both sides. The boards are sealed on both sides. Besides the overhangs are deep enough to get very little rain on the wall except in extreme weather. In all our snow I have not witnessed snow on the windowsills.

IC B3

Diesel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Years ago when I built a log house, I researched what to use to treat the logs. Sikkens was a formula originating in one of the Scandanavian countries. It had been applied to wood buildings that were still preserved 600 years later. Sun is the worst for wood longevity. then moisture. It is the pigment in wood preservatives that protects from the sun. Therefore coatings like Thompson's have no protection in the sun. Wood needs to exhale also so it is kind of like the theory of gore tex. Block rain drops but be porous enough to let water vapor out.

I have been using Sikkens for 50 years and have never seen boring bees in anything I applied it too. It's not cheap, but it works. With all the laws limiting volatile chemicals, I would not be surprised if the original formula has been altered.

Just my observations, yours may vary.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Years ago when I built a log house, I researched what to use to treat the logs. Sikkens was a formula originating in one of the Scandanavian countries. It had been applied to wood buildings that were still preserved 600 years later. Sun is the worst for wood longevity. then moisture. It is the pigment in wood preservatives that protects from the sun. Therefore coatings like Thompson's have no protection in the sun. Wood needs to exhale also so it is kind of like the theory of gore tex. Block rain drops but be porous enough to let water vapor out.

I have been using Sikkens for 50 years and have never seen boring bees in anything I applied it too. It's not cheap, but it works. With all the laws limiting volatile chemicals, I would not be surprised if the original formula has been altered.

I have been using Knight Chemical - OrganiClear WR Series log and wood treatment for years.

https://www.standardtar.com/organiclear_wr_sealer_stain_coating_for_log_homes.php

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Tremendously impressive. I dig it!

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A great thread and an inspiration 😎

You guys obviously know the area very well but I’d have two concerns both related to theft and security.

One is the possibility of getting ripped off when you’re not home which I suppose is a concern for many out in the country.

The other is all those windows at night, I’d want to be able to shutter them so as to be less visible to potential miscreants out there.

Again, congrats on a phenomenal project.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Every time I see a project like that, I know I could do the same thing. Then I wake up.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

Last year, I arranged to have my wrap around decks stained. I wanted to use Sikkens to match the house. No go. Apparently something was sold / bought regarding the Sikkens product line. Their "new" stain would not match my existing. The formulations and colors were different. Product ratings were not good either. I ended up using another product.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
You and your wife have an unbelievable bond. Building a house with a spouse is beyond stressful. Beautiful cabin in an ideal location.

Life is good live it while you can.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Absolutely beautiful. You are a true master.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
What influenced you to use hemlock primarily as your lumber?

Buy once, cry once.
Diesel Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deerhunter5555
What influenced you to use hemlock primarily as your lumber?

Cost

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

657 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 78 invisible), 2,283 guests, and 1,373 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,957
Posts18,480,454
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.