Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by mathman
I was talking about the loaded rounds.

That's what I always talk about too. Its the finished product that is important. As far as brass you use. Lapua is excellent right out of the box. If you don't know how to properly prep your brass, then it is a good idea to buy Lapua. After all is said and done any good brass will produce great accuracy/precision if you prep it right. There's always a lot of talk about how accurate guys' rifles and loads are, but with no proof. Its always, you have to use this or that and I get sub 1/2 moa out of my rifle and load. Its all talk unless you can prove it otherwise. Also guys that don't check run-out have their heads buried in the sand and are driving blind. That chidt is going to sneak up behind them and bite them in the AZZ...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
OK... so what's the best tool (s) for checking runout (both case & loaded)?... Been look'in at that sexy new redding slant gauge...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MickeyD
Recently my son bought a couple of boxes of Federal Premium 270 Winchester ammo loaded with 150 grain Nosler Partitions, a combo that normally groups well inside of 3/4" at 100 yards.
This stuff, though, had trouble staying inside of 2" at that distance. We thought something might be wrong with the scope so tried a group with ammo from an older lot which put 3 shots into a 1/2". So it's likely something to do with this newer lot.
When we got home I checked for bullet run out and was shocked to see it was running from 0.01 to 0.012" ( 10-12 thou!). The older lot showed run out from 0.002 - 0.003".

Federal Premium used to be very good. Anyone else experienced recent quality issues with Federal Premium ammo?

I don't shoot commercial ammo much. When I do I measure concentricity of every cartridge. Some are fine, up to 0.003". Others not so much. Many years ago like Mathman, I measured and sorted cartridges to shoot groups. I did this because prior to then I never paid any attention to concentricity figuring that any shot outside of groups I was shooting I must have pulled off at trigger break.

Cartridges with little runout grouped well, more runout groups opened up. Sort a group of cartridges where 3 had little runout, add 2 that had 0.010" runout, there were the fliers.

GOA
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
There is a mathematical relationship between bullet tilt and group size.... up to the point where the chamber bends it straighter.
This relationship depends on random rotational orientation of the bent bullet.

As I explained on this forum 4 years ago.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12563531/re-collet-dies#Post12563531

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I keep runout to 0.003 or less, it's not hard to keep it less than 0.003. I'd say most of mine are 0.002 or less. I also turn the necks as well to keep everything nice and aligned. It's is a PITA but since I started keeping case necks the same thickness and keep runout to a minimum, accuracy improved.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by bwinters
I keep runout to 0.003 or less, it's not hard to keep it less than 0.003. I'd say most of mine are 0.002 or less. I also turn the necks as well to keep everything nice and aligned. It's is a PITA but since I started keeping case necks the same thickness and keep runout to a minimum, accuracy improved.

Honest question...at what yardage does a difference of 0.002" make in accuracy or group size?

Take for example 500 yards. Same case lot for powder - primer - bullet - and brass. Same rifle - shot same day - same conditions.

Shooter has sorted his ammo. He has 10 rounds at 0.002" runout - and 10 rounds at 0.004" runout.

How much of a difference will that .002" make at 500 yards?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I too would like to know what tools are used to measure AND correct runout. I want to start doing this....

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by tylerw02
I don't think there is a magical number. Many BR and F-Class champions state they do not measure runout.

Not measuring runout is no indication that it doesn't matter.

Measuring is no indication that it DOES matter. Measuring ammo won't affect accuracy. First, you need to load it correctly.

There is a reason the the big dogs quit measuring; it is because it DIDN'T matter within reason and was thus a waste of time. Hell, before I ever knew I was supposed to measure it, I was shooting cleans.

Unless your process is terrible, your components are junk, or your equipment is junk, it is hard for it to matter in the grand scheme of things. Even a novice hand loader won't load ammo >0.005". I shot some factory Hornady into .25 MOA with 0.008" runout recently. I only measured it out of curiosity.

Unless it is TERRIBLY bad, it really doesn't matter. I used to check match ammo, but I also dropped the habit and saw no difference in scores. I haven't shot matches in a few years, but still shoot/teach long range shooting and use GOOD ammo when demonstrating in class. What matters more is keeping a rifle in tune.

Measuring for runout should be reserved for setting up equipment or when making changes to process or used as a diagnostic tool. Measuring each and every round is time consuming and the effort won't show up on target.

Last edited by tylerw02; 02/12/22.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by cotis
I too would like to know what tools are used to measure AND correct runout. I want to start doing this....

Correcting runout involves changes in process or equipment. The idea you can use a tool to correct loaded rounds is nothing more than a gimmick.

To measure it, purchase a concentricity gauge and dial indicator.

Some will measure a fired case to determine if their chamber is true. Then some will measure the neck after sizing...but do not fall into this trap as imperfections in the neck are pushed OUTWARD from the expander mandrel or expander ball. Personally, I prefer an expander mandrel or gauge pin to an expander ball. Sizing of the case and expanding the necks should be done in separate steps.

The true test of processes is to determine bullet runout. There is a debate as to where this should be measured; ogive, near the tip, or between the tip and ogive. Believe it or not, many times the runout found here can actually be bad bullets. Many claim they are getting 0.001" runout and maybe they are...but anything reasonable is OK. If you have a problem, the tool can help you identify which step is inducing it.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Could not agree more.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Its all talk unless you can prove it

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cotis

Correcting runout involves changes in process or equipment. The idea you can use a tool to correct loaded rounds is nothing more than a gimmick.

To measure it, purchase a concentricity gauge and dial indicator.

Some will measure a fired case to determine if their chamber is true. Then some will measure the neck after sizing...but do not fall into this trap as imperfections in the neck are pushed OUTWARD from the expander mandrel or expander ball. Personally, I prefer an expander mandrel or gauge pin to an expander ball. Sizing of the case and expanding the necks should be done in separate steps.

The true test of processes is to determine bullet runout. There is a debate as to where this should be measured; ogive, near the tip, or between the tip and ogive. Believe it or not, many times the runout found here can actually be bad bullets. Many claim they are getting 0.001" runout and maybe they are...but anything reasonable is OK. If you have a problem, the tool can help you identify which step is inducing it.

I’ve got to say your posts are what I was hoping for - many benefit from different positions taken from life experiences especially when the details are being parsed in a respectful way. Cheers!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SLM
Could not agree more.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Its all talk unless you can prove it

Yes but imo knowing your ammo is straight is one hell of a mental booster.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
[/quote]
Yes but imo knowing your ammo is straight is one hell of a mental booster.[/quote]

Yes, and it eliminates one factor that often affects accuracy.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I might also mention that EVERY factor (including measurement) that's been discussed here is included in my GUN GACK books. They're definitely not The Revelation, because everything was learned from reading and talking with other handloaders, plus experience. And I continue to learn something just about every week or month.

But one thing I've noted before about the Campfire (and other Internet sites) is most people want some simple answer for free--especially relative newbies, many of whom have never even bothered to purchase a current loading manual, or if they have, never read anything except the data for the cartridge(s) they plan to reload.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Measuring for runout should be reserved for setting up equipment or when making changes to process or used as a diagnostic tool. Measuring each and every round is time consuming and the effort won't show up on target.

That's a bit different than saying it doesn't matter. I don't measure every cartridge every time precisely because I know what a given batch of brass will do with a given set of dies with me as the operator.

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting thread.

I always strive for < 0.003 on both brass necks and bullet runout.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I might also mention that EVERY factor (including measurement) that's been discussed here is included in my GUN GACK books. They're definitely not The Revelation, because everything learned from reading and talking with other handloaders, plus experience. And I continue to learn something just about every week or month.

But one thing I've noted before about the Campfire (and other Internet sites) is most people want some simple answer for free--especially relative newbies, many of whom have never even bothered to purchase a current loading manual, or if they have, never read anything except the data for the cartridge(s) they plan to reload.

JB - I agree on all points - just interesting to hear of a similar opinion put into different words - for me, both resonate & make me a better shooter.

Good evenings to all!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M

That's a bit different than saying it doesn't matter. I don't measure every cartridge every time precisely because I know what a given batch of brass will do with a given set of dies with me as the operator.

Exactly.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Godogs57
I’ve always heard that a reasonable goal is .002 or less.

Yeah, I lean to .0015.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Yesterday evening I loaded up some rounds for a custom barreled 270 Winchester that I am working up loads for. About all I can get are Hornady SST bullets right now for my hunting needs.
After loading I checked all of the rounds on my Sinclair concentricity gauge and found a couple were .008” out when measured just in front of the connelure. I had a hard time believing the necks were crooked because I used the Lee Collet die so I then reset the gauge to measure the case necks.
They were all within .002”.
I am now thinking that the bullet seating die is the problem as I was using the Lee bullet seater and it only makes contact with the tip of the bullet rather than further down closer to the ogive. I am going to pull the bullets and reseat with a RCBS seater to see if it makes a difference. If it doesn’t then it has to be the bullet jacket being thicker on one side I would think.
What I don’t understand is how can the bullet be that far off center of axis and it not showing up when measuring the case neck?

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1234, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1941USMC, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 45 invisible), 1,761 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,000
Posts18,520,403
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.