Hop To
#16953752 02/12/22
D
dave358 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I had to ask the experts here about my new old gun, I believe it to be a G in 300. My question is about the scope mounts, are ball and claw scope mounts uncommon on 50s guns? There are no german proofs on the gun but it has a german scope with b and c mounts as well as a two leaf express sight. The gun is in great condition, the mounts and sight are engraved it just has no other german looking marks. The serial is 654xxx, any opinion on rarity and value are appreciated, I got it for six so it will be a great hunting gun either way. Thanks for all your help!

GB1

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
It should be a R or EG with that serial#. EG has a scnhable forearm and the R has a rounded front end on the forearm. Can't help with the scope mounts.

Lee

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
PICTURES!

Happiness is the purpose of Conscious Life
D
dave358 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Sorry Polecat I dropped the e in eg and did not notice, as far as pics in every other way just a nice eg except for the sights

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Polecat
It should be a R or EG with that serial#. EG has a scnhable forearm and the R has a rounded front end on the forearm. Can't help with the scope mounts.

Lee

This ^

I would add that it is not rare and $600 was reasonable, could be worth more or even considerably more in today's market especially if it has condition and no extra non factory holes.

If it's an R, most likely factory D&T. If it's an EG, maybe, maybe not

Hard to make a guess on the mounts without pictures.

Does the gun have a scope on it?

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
IC B2

D
dave358 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Yes 99guy,the rifle has claw mounts with a german scope. It is an eg I just did not notice I left off the e. I guess I should explain that claw mounts have a pad installed on the gun which has two parallel slots the scope has the rings mounted to it and these rings have the claw that locks into these slots. The pads on this rifle are located just in front of the receiver and the rear is just in front of the cocking indicator pin. This system is a great for having a quick detach scope that holds zero very well. I was surprised to find an American gun with such an expensive set up in the usa that had no proof marks from another country.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We'd love to see a picture of that set-up.

I can just about guarantee there are guys here that could tell you everything there is to know about it.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
D
dave358 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I will try to put up some photos tomorrow,I am not the most computer talented old fart here, I guess that's why my brain keeps mixing my scope mounts and furniture legs, the proper term is claw mounts I have not made a ball and claw chair leg in quite a while cheers!

D
dave358 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Sorry but I cannot upload images, thanks for your replies

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It likely was sold through the Rod and Gun system in Germany and brought home by a GI at the end of his tour after having a German smith install the mounts.

Go tell the Spartans,Travelers passing by,That here,Obedient to their laws we lie.

I'm older now but I'm still runnin' against the wind

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Yeah, I'd venture a guess that those scope mounts are 110% non-factory. An add on like what anyone woud have done with Weaver or Refield mounts. However, much more exotic than domestic mounts and not often seen (or seen at all).

"The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle." John Stapp - "Stapp's Law"
"Klaatu barada nikto"

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've learned there is a big difference in rarity and value. I had a 58 English Ford Zodiac. When I joined the English Ford Club of America, they went nuts. It was the only one on their files that was two tone Red and Black. They said there were only 5 known registered running Zodiacs in North America. I finally sold it to a British guy in California who had one growing up in England. Looked like we were the only two people on earth that wanted it. He gave me $1750 for it. I think I bought 2-3 run of the mill 99's with it.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
my first car was an English Ford Anglia. I hated it, sold it after a few months and got a 1936 Chevy two door standard.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

632 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 1234, 10gaugeman, 72 invisible), 2,053 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,888
Posts18,479,129
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.