Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
https://www.abbevilleinstitute.org/...eId=b485abb0-0cb6-42f8-8bcf-37c54d0b0b7e

Ilana Mercer, February 11, 2011

Tomorrow is Abraham Lincoln’s birthday. Familiar Lincoln idolaters will gather to celebrate the birth, on Feb. 12, 1809, of the 16th President of the United States, and finesse his role in “the butchering business”—to use Prof. J. R. Pole’s turn-of-phrase. Court historian Doris Kearns Goodwin is sure to make a media appearance to extol the virtues of the president who shed the blood of brothers in great quantities, and urged into existence the “American System” of taxpayer-sponsored grants of government privilege to politically connected corporations. On publication, in 2002, of the book “The Real Lincoln: A New Look at Abraham Lincoln, His Agenda, and an Unnecessary War,” the “Church of Lincoln” gave battle. The enemy was the author, Thomas J. DiLorenzo, who had exposed Lincoln lore for the lie it was — still is. DiLorenzo had dared to examine the “Great Centralizer’s” role in sundering the soul of the American federal system: the sovereignty of the states and the citizenry.

Steeped as they were in the Lockean tradition of natural rights and individual liberty, the constitutional framers held that the inalienable rights to life, liberty, and property were best preserved within a federal system of divided sovereignty, in which the central government was weak and most powers devolved to the states, or to the people, respectively, as stated in the 10th Amendment. If a state grew tyrannical, competition from other states — and the individual’s ability to switch allegiances by exiting the political arrangement — would create something of an agora in government. This was the framers’ genius.

The concentrated powers Lincoln sought were inimical to the founders’ loose constitutional dispensation. To realize his expansionist ideals, Lincoln would have to crush any notion of the Union as a voluntary pact between sovereign states and individuals. By Lincoln’s admission, he prosecuted the war between the Union States of the North and the Southern Confederate States in order to maintain the Union; he vowed to so do “by freeing all the slaves or without freeing any slave,” as Mark Bostridge conceded uncontroversially in the Times Literary Supplement (December 10, 2010). Duly, Lincoln’s “Emancipation Proclamation” guaranteed that slaves were freed only in regions of the Confederacy still inaccessible to the Union army. Union soldiers, for their part, were permitted to seize slaves in rebel territory and put them to work. In areas loyal to the North, slaves were not emancipated. After the war, Lincoln offered little land to the freed men; parceling off the spoils to his constituent power-base: the railroad and mining companies.

The North was no more fighting to abolish slavery than the South was fighting to preserve it: A mere 15 percent, or thereabouts, of Southerners owned slaves.

The “pseudo-intellectuals who [are] devoted to pulling the wool over the public’s eyes” have a lot to answer for. Lincoln’s violent, unconstitutional revolution took the lives of 620,000 individuals (including 50,000 Southern civilians, blacks included), maimed thousands, and brought about “the near destruction of 40 percent of the nation’s economy.” “The costs of an action cannot be dismissed as irrelevant to morality,” wrote the Mises Institute’s David Gordon in “Secession, State & Liberty.” Almost every other country at the time chose the path of peaceful emancipation. Yet today’s Americans look upon the terrible forces Lincoln unleashed as glorious events, the native appetite having habituated to carnage over time.

Lincoln lovers like to claim that the Constitution ratified in 1788 forbade peaceful secession, and authorized a federal government of so-called limited, delegated powers to invade and occupy any seceding state; declare martial law, subdue secessionists by force, burn and ransack entire cities, and then establish a military dictatorship over those states lasting a dozen years.

Suppose this indeed is the case, and that it was perfectly constitutional to intentionally wage war on civilians, to imprison without trial thousands of Northern citizens, jail—even execute—people who refused to take an oath of loyalty to Lord Lincoln, declare martial law, confiscate private property, censor telegraph lines, and shut down newspapers for opposing the war, incarcerating their editors and owners. Say, for the sake of argument, that it was indeed lawful to suspend the Bill of Rights, the writ of habeas corpus, and the international law.

If it endorsed, or even accommodated, what Lincoln did, including his disregard for the Ninth and 10th amendments, and his violation of the Second — then the Constitution is categorically evil and self-contradictory.

The more plausible explanation is that, in 1861, Lincoln kidnapped and killed the Constitution. The Jacobins who lionize Lincoln’s actions (by referring to his billowing prose) have been covering up his crimes and ignoring the consequences of his coup ever since.

Ilana Mercer is the author of The Trump Revolution: The Donald’s Creative Destruction Deconstructed (June 2016) & Into the Cannibal’s Pot: Lessons for America From Post-Apartheid South Africa (2011). She's been writing a weekly, paleolibertarian column, begun in Canadian newspapers, since 1999.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
The ugly truth. Didnt most states join the union with a written agreement that they would be allowed to seceed?

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep.

Thanks for the link, I'll pass it along.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Never a fan of Lincoln. POS he was.

A salute offered to Mr. Booth

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Lied ?

“Honest Abe of Illinois “

He was from Kentucky.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Houston_2

Lied ?

“Honest Abe of Illinois “

He was from Kentucky.

So he was a carpetbagger?

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
John Wilkes Booth was an American patriot.

Sam......

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
To realize his expansionist ideals, Lincoln would have to crush any notion of the Union as a voluntary pact between sovereign states and individuals.

Exactly...

The core of the implosion of the Republic occurring at present.

People have been told and forced what to do for so long... individual thought is no longer possible for 80% plus.

Example... "Would You take the Red Pill or the Blue Pill?"

Almost no one realizes neither pill is still an option.

Last edited by CashisKing; 02/13/22. Reason: Quote typo

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Where are ya JWB when we need ya the most??

Even birds know not to land downwind!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
A fair assessment. He was a monster, by any measure. He freed the slaves, and enslaved the citizens to a centralized state of his own creation.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Yes, Lincoln was a monster, maybe even Hitler.

It is funny however, that not that many people agree.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've read some on this subject and don't know what to believe. I would like to know why you guys discount the notion his overarching intentions were good and he just wanted to preserve the union even at such a high cost.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Would be interesting to know how world history would have played out without him.

Last edited by 5sdad; 02/13/22.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
These threads always revolve into a debate about slavery so I’ll jump right there. Let’s assume for a second that the South really did want to endlessly propagate slavery and left the union solely for that purpose. So what? How does that change the essential elements of what happened? They tried to leave, the federal government invaded them, destroyed their industries and property, killed large numbers of them, occupied their territories with military forces, installed military governments and then hand picked civilian governments for them, forced them to pass amendments to the Constitution before it would let them fully rejoin the union.

I liken it to a marriage in which the wife cheats on the husband and runs off. She was wrong, but that doesn’t give the husband the right to track her down, beat her up, drag her back to the home kicking and screaming, and then lock her up as a virtual hostage. And if he does, whatever they have in that house is no longer a marriage.

Whatever we have in this country after 1865, it’s no longer a constitutional republic.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Lincoln's Letter to Horace Greeley

Letter to Horace Greeley

Written during the heart of the Civil War, this is one of Abraham Lincoln's most famous letters. Greeley, editor of the influential New York Tribune, had just addressed an editorial to Lincoln called "The Prayer of Twenty Millions," making demands and implying that Lincoln's administration lacked direction and resolve.

President Lincoln wrote his reply when a draft of the Emancipation Proclamation already lay in his desk drawer. His response revealed his concentration on preserving the Union. The letter, which received acclaim in the North, stands as a classic statement of Lincoln's constitutional responsibilities. A few years after the president's death, Greeley wrote an assessment of Lincoln. He stated that Lincoln did not actually respond to his editorial but used it instead as a platform to prepare the public for his "altered position" on emancipation.

Executive Mansion,
Washington, August 22, 1862.

Hon. Horace Greeley:
Dear Sir.

I have just read yours of the 19th. addressed to myself through the New-York Tribune. If there be in it any statements, or assumptions of fact, which I may know to be erroneous, I do not, now and here, controvert them. If there be in it any inferences which I may believe to be falsely drawn, I do not now and here, argue against them. If there be perceptable in it an impatient and dictatorial tone, I waive it in deference to an old friend, whose heart I have always supposed to be right.

As to the policy I "seem to be pursuing" as you say, I have not meant to leave any one in doubt.

I would save the Union. I would save it the shortest way under the Constitution. The sooner the national authority can be restored; the nearer the Union will be "the Union as it was." If there be those who would not save the Union, unless they could at the same time save slavery, I do not agree with them. If there be those who would not save the Union unless they could at the same time destroy slavery, I do not agree with them. My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union. I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause. I shall try to correct errors when shown to be errors; and I shall adopt new views so fast as they shall appear to be true views.

I have here stated my purpose according to my view of official duty; and I intend no modification of my oft-expressed personal wish that all men every where could be free.

Yours,
A. Lincoln.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by JoeBob
These threads always revolve into a debate about slavery so I’ll jump right there. Let’s assume for a second that the South really did want to endlessly propagate slavery and left the union solely for that purpose. So what? How does that change the essential elements of what happened? They tried to leave, the federal government invaded them, destroyed their industries and property, killed large numbers of them, occupied their territories with military forces, installed military governments and then hand picked civilian governments for them, forced them to pass amendments to the Constitution before it would let them fully rejoin the union.

I liken it to a marriage in which the wife cheats on the husband and runs off. She was wrong, but that doesn’t give the husband the right to track her down, beat her up, drag her back to the home kicking and screaming, and then lock her up as a virtual hostage. And if he does, whatever they have in that house is no longer a marriage.

Whatever we have in this country after 1865, it’s no longer a constitutional republic.

Great opinion/analogy...

Force of hand does not make a marriage...

It makes a slave... forced to do .GOVs bidding.

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
But Trump idolizes Lincoln 😲

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JoeBob

More like the husband tracked her down, killed her and threw her corpse back in the bedroom and has been screwing her ever sinse.

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I liked my Lincoln Logs.

Old guy, old guns.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What was it that Gen Cleburne said? "If we lose this War those people will be telling us how to live for the next 500 years".
157 down and only 343 to go

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

82 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 35, 375sunrise, 7mm_Loco, 338Rules, 16 invisible), 1,472 guests, and 872 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,082
Posts18,501,649
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.