Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Originally Posted by dimecovers5
Originally Posted by IZH27
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by rainshot
It was fought and won to free men from slavery.

And to enslave men to a centralized state.

Your problem is that you were born into a cage, so cannot even perceive the bars.

The “free men from slavery” argument is Bu llshit.

Rain shot.

Would YOU die to give freedom to people that you didn’t know? How many people do you know who would sacrifice their life or even consider sacrificing their life for people that they didn’t know? How about lining up several million Americans who would sign up for that gig.

With William Wilberforce having defeated slavery within the British Empire we have further evidence that a war was not needed. Please, save your stupid arguments for the ignorant masses who don’t possess the ability to string 10 neurons together in thought.

I might if I believed I would one day stand before God Almighty in judgement and account for my life.

So what advice did Paul give slaves? There were probably ten times more of them at that moment in the Roman world than there ever were in America.

He didn't tell them to work for their freedom and then to buy their own slaves. Your question is idiotic at best.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Your problem is that you were born into a cage, so cannot even perceive the bars.

Rain shot.

Would YOU die to give freedom to people that you didn’t know? How many people do you know who would sacrifice their life or even consider sacrificing their life for people that they didn’t know? How about lining up several million Americans who would sign up for that gig.

With William Wilberforce having defeated slavery within the British Empire we have further evidence that a war was not needed. Please, save your stupid arguments for the ignorant masses who don’t possess the ability to string 10 neurons together in thought.

I might if I believed I would one day stand before God Almighty in judgement and account for my life.

So what advice did Paul give slaves? There were probably ten times more of them at that moment in the Roman world than there ever were in America.

He didn't tell them to work for their freedom and then to buy their own slaves. Your question is idiotic at best.

He's also wrong. Rome at its peak had between 5-10 million slaves. The United States in 1860 had 3.75 million slaves

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by moosemike

There were more Slaves in this Country in 1860 than at any point in history thanks to the cotton gin. There is no historical evidence slavery was dying out. Only evidence that it had become unpopular in England and in the northern States

"Within the South, slave ownership was becoming concentrated into a smaller number of hands. The proportion of southern families owning slaves declined from 36 percent in 1830 to 25 percent in 1860. At the same time, slavery was sharply declining in the upper South."

- The Economics of Slavery

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Rain shot.

I find it interesting that you use your religion to defend the institution of slavery.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 02/13/22.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All of this and not one word about how the media of the time egged it all on.
Kinda like today.

Dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

There were more Slaves in this Country in 1860 than at any point in history thanks to the cotton gin. There is no historical evidence slavery was dying out. Only evidence that it had become unpopular in England and in the northern States

"Within the South, slave ownership was becoming concentrated into a smaller number of hands. The proportion of southern families owning slaves declined from 36 percent in 1830 to 25 percent in 1860. At the same time, slavery was sharply declining in the upper South."

- The Economics of Slavery

But what was happening to the total number of slaves in The South during that same time period?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J

Rain shot.

I’m not the one who brought up the point that killing people to free their slaves would get one some kind of brownie points with God in Judgment Day.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smarquez
Such sore losers still. It all sounds like 400 years of slavery. what's next, reparations?
Slavery, as an institution, was on its way out for other reasons anyway. It was becoming increasingly unpopular, even in the South. The best solution would have been to declare a certain date after which no one could be born into slavery, and continue the ban on importing them (which had already been long in place), while providing incentives for freeing slaves already in captivity.

Slavery was not a good business model, and the invention of the cotton gin would have been the nail that finally ended that 'peculiar institution'. Witness the other nations that ended slavery peacefully without a bloody civil war. Witness slavery being legal in Saudi Arabia until the 1960's (and is still an underground institution there). No, the Civil War was all about Lincoln consolidating unconstitutional power under the hammer of FedGov no matter the literal cost in lives. Good riddance to him, he had it coming when he became a live test model for the effectiveness of a small caliber derringer pistol at close range.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Cotton Gin actually increased the need for slaves. There were more slaves in the hands of fewer owners. And the South, even the non slave owning majority, were definitely fighting to keep the slaves on the Plantation. Can you imagine what the sudden release of 3.75 million negroes meant for Southern culture? It would be ruined overnight. And it was

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
The Civil War was the prototype for the next century and a half of foreign policy and war.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Never a fan of Lincoln. POS he was.

A salute offered to Mr. Booth

^^^This^^^

Lincoln killed more Americans in the War of Northern Agression than all other American wars combined.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

^^^This^^^

Lincoln killed more Americans in the War of Northern Agression than all other American wars combined.

But we had the pleasure of dying for the good of the Africans. That makes it all better

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
For a better picture about just who defended what and why refer to the Lincoln/Douglas debates.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln%E2%80%93Douglas_debates

The 3/5ths clause was a compromise rule because of Slavery. Counting the Slaves would've given the South unfettered rule of the Union forever. https://www.heritage.org/constitution/#!/articles/1/essays/6/three-fifths-clause
Obama loved to harp about it never bothering to tell the truth about just why it was there in the first place. Slaves were not taxed nor had the right to vote. Why then would they be counted in appointing delegates in the first place? At present the Democrats are flooding our Nation with illegals with the same intent they had during Slavery with one caveat; they will be allowed to vote.

Slavery likely would've died had it not been pushed so hard by the Southern Oligarchs; Big Plantation owners that largely funded the Civil War without actually fighting in it. They insisted on spreading it to the new territories which was opposed by Republicans. Most people on both sides never owned a slave and could've ever afforded to purchase one. Most people that fought did so because they were told it was a territorial dispute and they were defending their own territory. Lee fought for the South because he was from Virginia.
I hold no animosity toward anyone on the other side of the debate but defending the idea of slavery is untenable. It is against our own Declaration of Independence, and I agree concessions were made in order to get southern slave states to sign but it was debated and always considered that in time they would abandon the idea of slavery.
holding on to the idea of legalized slavery is just wrong and the arguments for it and against the war are not unlike those poor tortured soles that destroy our Confederate Monuments and Monuments of our Founding Fathers.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
The South represented the values of the Founders and the North of Augustus Caesar.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger

^^^This^^^

But we had the pleasure of dying for the good of the Africans. That makes it all better

White people are still dying 'for the good of the Afreakans' to this day. When does it stop??

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gonehuntin

^^^This^^^

White people are still dying 'for the good of the Afreakans' to this day. When does it stop??

It would be nice if the Darkies would at least appreciate it. But they never have and they [bleep] on white people at every opportunity

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Rain shot.

I find it interesting that you use your religion to defend the institution of slaver.

That would be what your stupid ass takes from that.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Lincoln was the worst president. Ever.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Did Lincoln say on 18 September 1858, "“I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races … I am not nor ever have been in favor of making voters or jurors of Negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people; and I will say in addition to this that there is a physical difference between the white and black races which I believe will forever forbid the two races from living together on terms of social and political equality. And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be a position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race.”

He was a White Supremist and his statements, made to get elected, (as the people of Illinois had a two tired system relative to the black race) are proof of that. Like most politicians he would say and do anything for a vote, sentiments be damned.

To preserve liberty it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them.-Richard Henry Lee

Endowment Member NRA, Life Member SAF-GOA, Life-Board Member, West TN Director TFA
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Lincoln was also one of those [bleep] who began running for office at about the age of 23 I believe.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

561 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1Akshooter, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 66 invisible), 2,464 guests, and 1,391 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,046
Posts18,500,919
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.